? on Karate

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My understanding is that karate was originated by the people from Japan who learned kung fu from China and then developed their own system. My question Is since karate was created from kung fu, do they share any common qualities in their katas (forms) or in technique?

My understanding is that karate was originated by the people from Japan who learned kung fu from China and then developed their own system. My question Is since karate was created from kung fu, do they share any common qualities in their katas (forms) or in technique?
karate comes from Okinawa, and was then exported to Japan.

Okinawa had it’s own style that was mixed with king fu from China.
That’s a brief summary.

Goju ryu includes golden crane and white crane kata which are king fu forms.
The other styles of karate I’m not sure how deep the kung fu influence goes

Last edited:

Just about everything in terms of kicks. Roundhouse kick - kicking with the ball of the fot, straight from Kung Fu (though not all styles of Kung fu), side kick. Techniques were polished by the Koreans but the japanese karatekas remain stiff to this day, with sub optimal, crouched postures and things of that sort

As noted the kung fu the okinawans learned was mixed with the natives fighting systems.

Though okinawan karate especially the Naha-te. Systems do however still bare a strong resemblance to southern kung fu particularly the Fujian region systems. From the Sanchin form, to the sticky hand excercises , to the limb and body hardening, to the emphasis on hand techniues over kicks, to the 4 zones of combat IE punching, kicking, locking, throwing etc etc all clearly show a blantant Chinese martial influence.

:Edit when im not drunk posting ill show video examples.

As was already mentioned, karate originated in the native fighting arts of Okinawa, and was influenced by Chinese arts before being imported to mainland Japan. One thing to note is that it was also strongly influenced by the martial arts of the Kingdom of Siam (modern-day Thailand), which isn't surprising given Okinawa's seafaring nature and trade-based economy. The Okinawans very much mixed-and-matched martial methods, which is why you have people who say things like "karate is the original MMA," although that is rather disingenuous, since plenty of martial arts have done the same type of assimilation over time.

With regard to the OP's question, itself, karate does bear some obvious resemblance to Chinese arts, to varying degrees in different styles. Sanchin is the easiest, clearest example, because it is one of the few forms that you can still find extant examples of in China that have analogs being practiced in karate. This video is old, but does show Sanchin from a couple different karate styles, as well as a Chinese version:

The biggest carry over from Chinese arts to Okinawa is probably the use of forms/kata, in general, even if a style doesn't have kata that came directly from China. As such, even if you don't see sister forms between karate and Chinese arts, you see a lot of the same movements and postures. A lot of the joint locks and chokes are similar, if you compare Okinawan tuidi to Chinese chin-na, although not always identical. Karate has a number of throws that you see in Chinese arts, as well, although they had their own folkstyle submission wrestling methods, too. I think Okinawan striking tended to be more influenced by ancestral Siamese/Thai arts than Chinese arts, personally.

All that being said, there is NO SUCH THING as a "single origin" of martial arts, and similar or even identical methods can be developed by different people, worlds apart, with no contact with each other, whatsoever. I feel that is an important caveat.

Back