Elections On Ferguson, Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris Told a Terrible Lie

Dems never acknowledge anything that makes them look bad. They just double down on it or deflect to something white men did somewhere.

It’s the party for NPC’s.
LOL All you did in this post is take a statement about Trump and his administration and his supporters that they have proven to be true over and over (remember "He DID NOT cave!"), and substitute in what you see as the opposite sides. To wit, "Trump and his followers never acknowledge anything that makes them look bad. They just double down on it or deflect to someone else."
They could've still used the occasion to bring up police violence and systemic racism in a more accurate and less partisan way as some of the other candidates like Booker and Gillibrand did. They were able to mention his death and the discourse that emerged afterwards without implying guilt on the part of Officer Wilson and I say this as someone who is not really a fan of either Booker or Gillibrand, especially not when compared to the likes of Sanders and Warren.

Doing it the way Harris and Warren did hurts the conversation around police accountability because it allows those who would rather avoid the conversation to deflect to the case of Mike Brown as we can see ITT.
Well said.
Black guy here. What the hell is systemic racism? Not being a smart ass I really want to know what it is and how it works

No one ever goes into detail about what laws or practices are exactly racist they just say "systemic racism" and the 'structure of white supremacy.' I really want to know because as a black guy, I have been the victim of racism multiple times throughout my life but I never thought it was 'systemic.' And it wasn't just white people being racist towards me for the record.
You're basically asking people to explain how "the system" works. My advice is to start reading a lot. Mean time, here's just one example among many, Redlining. And just because it exists doesn't mean it has an equal effect on everyone. Take @Kafir-kun's example of it within the FPD. I'm sure there are many places where the people don't have those kinds of issues and have a good relationship with the police, but that doesn't mean there aren't also many other places like Ferguson with such issues within law enforcement.

Disclaimer: I don't presume to have first hand experience or knowledge, just passing on what I have learned to get you started. I don't claim to know a lot about it but no one else answered yet so, there ya go.

You're basically asking people to explain how "the system" works. My advice is to start reading a lot. Mean time, here's just one example among many, Redlining. And just because it exists doesn't mean it has an equal effect on everyone. Take @Kafir-kun's example of it within the FPD. I'm sure there are many places where the people don't have those kinds of issues and have a good relationship with the police, but that doesn't mean there aren't also many other places like Ferguson with such issues within law enforcement.

Disclaimer: I don't presume to have first hand experience or knowledge, just passing on what I have learned to get you started. I don't claim to know a lot about it but no one else answered yet so, there ya go.

I wasn't really asking how the system works. I've done some research and I know about redlining and I've met plenty of black men who were 'screwed' over by the criminal justice system for non violent offenses. And even that prick Bill O' Reilly believed the Ferguson Police Department were racially profiling after seeing their arrest and citation numbers. So I know there is definitely some things going on within our system that need to be fixed. I was kind of being 'ironical' about not knowing what systemic racism was. LOL

However, I also believe a large majority of the problems within the Black community have little to do with systemic racism and oppression and more with victimhood and a change in our culture of values.

Thanks for your input though

I know, I know. Orange man bad. However,...

Not only should they be disqualified for this, it should be at the demand of their fellow dems. This is nothing more than pandering with total lies that you know to be lies as you speak them. Not to mention, stirring the coals of racial divide in a case where the truth is literally 180 degrees from the/their lie.

I don't agree with their statements, but these are not lies or libel... nothing they say is provably false, it's just not provably true.

Legally speaking, a self-defense is an "affirmative defense" which means it has to be proven by the defendant. In this case it cannot be proven, so there would have been a murder conviction if not for special rules that make it difficult to prosecute police.

Trump just outright lies about things that are provably false, so I'd still vote for them over him.

I wasn't really asking how the system works. I've done some research and I know about redlining and I've met plenty of black men who were 'screwed' over by the criminal justice system for non violent offenses. And even that prick Bill O' Reilly believed the Ferguson Police Department were racially profiling after seeing their arrest and citation numbers. So I know there is definitely some things going on within our system that need to be fixed. I was kind of being 'ironical' about not knowing what systemic racism was. LOL

However, I also believe a large majority of the problems within the Black community have little to do with systemic racism and oppression and more with victimhood and a change in our culture of values.

Thanks for your input though
You said, "Not being a smart ass I really want to know what it is and how it works..." but you were just "being ironical"? So you were being a smartass then. Right? Anyway, I am just trying to pin down what sort of discussion you're really interested in having.

Let's pretend you're actually interested in an honest discussion about the subject.
Don't you think that contradicts your very own reference to "plenty of black men who were 'screwed' over by the criminal justice system for non violent offenses"?
How do you suppose that informs their view of the world? How about the part where public defenders have case loads a hundred times larger than what they should have to properly defend someone to the point where most defendants get less than 10 minutes of the lawyer's time before being convinced they need to take a plea deal? So they get arrested more often for the same offense, get jail time more often, get longer sentences, and you think the bulk of their issues is with a victim mentality?

You sound like a lot of the regulars here who think being poor is the poor person's fault because they started out poor and are now well to do. According to them, because they managed to overcome whatever deficits they started with, everyone should be able to do the same, because of course we all have the exact same opportunities and anyone who tries to deny that is just being a whiny victim." Does that sound right to you? And sure, the community in general may have deep-rooted issues that are contributing to the overall problem as well, but it's hardly identifiable as the primary cause, from what I can see.

Incidentally, I repeat, I'm not trying to come across like some white-guilt-ridden SJW. I surely won't assert I know what it's like to be you or to be someone who believes they have been impacted by systemic racism. I am communicating facts as I understand them and trying to have an honest discussion about what I thought was already an established fact (i.e. the existence of systemic racism). I'm open having my mind changed but you will need to back up what you believe with factual evidence to convince me, though I understand that probably isn't your goal. It would be enlightening to see you try.

Last edited:
As far as people focusing on the "lie", that's also on them. Anytime Ferguson is brought up the bootlickers pretend the only DOJ report was the one that vindicated Officer Wilson and avoid like the plague the second report that completely vindicated the concerns of the protestors about systemic racism in the police.

Why not focus on the lie? It’s so weird; Warren and Harris are campaigning to be our next president and are telling us the same exact same, blatant lie. It’s really bizarre. They know it’s a lie. We know it’s lie. But they say it anyway. WTF?!

The DOJ report on Ferguson is evidence of modern day systemic racism. That report should be a catalyst for addressing systemic racism there and in the US. However, there’s no need to prop it up with a lie that: insults the intelligence of the American people; was not the result of systemic racism and defames an innocent man. And they do no favors to the cause when they distract from it with bullshit.

These moments offer insight into what a presidency with either of them will be like.

You sound like a lot of the regulars here who think being poor is the poor person's fault because they started out poor and are now well to do. According to them, because they managed to overcome whatever deficits they started with, everyone should be able to do the same, because of course we all have the exact same opportunities and anyone who tries to deny that is just being a whiny victim." Does that sound right to you? And sure, the community in general may have deep-rooted issues that are contributing to the overall problem as well, but it's hardly identifiable as the primary cause, from what I can see.

Being born poor isn't your fault. Choosing to remain poor is. This is coming from a poor black man from a single parent family with 5 brothers and sisters. Some of issues within our communities are because most of us make poor financial decisions. And throwing 'free' money at them will not fix these issues I'm sorry to say. That's why I believe we need a change in our culture and family structure to see any real change. It's never really been the governments job to provide Americans with anything only to keep people from taking what is rightfully yours. I do believe there is a sense of entitlement that goes on not only in the Black community but in the US as a whole where folks feel like they are owed something so they can act however they want.

But yeah I do agree with what you were saying about public defenders and the justice system having too many cases which leaves people who cannot afford attorney representation pretty much stuck in the system. And they will continue to be stuck because no one wants to hire someone with a criminal record even for a non violent offenses.

So yes, you are right in pointing some of these issues out. I can't deny that. But like my man Denzel Washington said, "we don't have to make it so easy for 'them' to lock us up either."

The DOJ report on Ferguson is evidence of modern day systemic racism. That report should be a catalyst for addressing systemic racism there and in the US.

This

I remember watching Chadwick Boseman in the movie about Thurgood Marshall taking a case of a Black man wrongly convicted of raping a white woman. They only took cases of Black folks who were wrongly convicted of a crime because of racism. If they were guilty or deeply expected to be guilty, they would not take the case. This is what modern day 'social activists' have not grasped as a whole. Mike Brown's death was unfortunate and shouldn't be just shrugged off as another 'thug' who got what was coming to him but sadly that is how a lot of people see the case with all the testimony and evidence presented.

Use what you know and have the evidence to prove to the masses about systemic racism. Stop trying to use a case that was brought to trial and investigated by Attorney General Eric Holder as a defense for racism existing in our criminal justice system.

Why not focus on the lie? It’s so weird; Warren and Harris are campaigning to be our next president and are telling us the same exact same, blatant lie. It’s really bizarre. They know it’s a lie. We know it’s lie. But they say it anyway. WTF?!

The DOJ report on Ferguson is evidence of modern day systemic racism. That report should be a catalyst for addressing systemic racism there and in the US. However, there’s no need to prop it up with a lie that: insults the intelligence of the American people; was not the result of systemic racism and defames an innocent man. And they do no favors to the cause when they distract from it with bullshit.

These moments offer insight into what a presidency with either of them will be like.
Its one campaign tweet, I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. And if we're going to start using Twitter as a metric for fitness for the office I would still vote for either of them, yes even Harris, over Trump in a heartbeat.

Standing applause gif.

This is what so many are missing here...

Again, rather than focusing on this god damn lie, we have deflection, and accusations of "systemic racism!!!"

What happened to officer Wilson was terrible. And none of these clowns will acknowledge it.

Black guy here. What the hell is systemic racism? Not being a smart ass I really want to know what it is and how it works

No one ever goes into detail about what laws or practices are exactly racist they just say "systemic racism" and the 'structure of white supremacy.' I really want to know because as a black guy, I have been the victim of racism multiple times throughout my life but I never thought it was 'systemic.' And it wasn't just white people being racist towards me for the record.
The example I am referring to is detailed in the 2nd DOJ report on Ferguson which you can read here. Its a bit of a doozy so I don't expect you to read all of it or most of it but you can skim it or read parts of it to get the gist of what systemic racism in policing looks like. Here's just a small bit from the report
Ferguson’s strategy of revenue generation through policing has fostered practices in the two central parts of Ferguson’s law enforcement system—policing and the courts—that are themselves unconstitutional or that contribute to constitutional violations. In both parts of the system, these practices disproportionately harm African Americans. Further, the evidence indicates that this harm to African Americans stems, at least in part, from racial bias, including racial stereotyping. Ultimately, unlawful and harmful practices in policing and in the municipal court system erode police legitimacy and community trust, making policing in Ferguson less fair, less effective at promoting public safety, and less safe.
FPD’s approach to law enforcement, shaped by the City’s pressure to raise revenue, has resulted in a pattern and practice of constitutional violations. Officers violate the Fourth Amendment in stopping people without reasonable suspicion, arresting them without probable cause, and using unreasonable force. Officers frequently infringe on residents’ First Amendment rights, interfering with their right to record police activities and making enforcement decisions based on the content of individuals’ expression.

The example I am referring to is detailed in the 2nd DOJ report on Ferguson which you can read here. Its a bit of a doozy so I don't expect you to read all of it or most of it but you can skim it or read parts of it to get the gist of what systemic racism in policing looks like. Here's just a small bit from the report

Why are you trying so hard to be Jack V Crappage? We only need one of those.

Its one campaign tweet, I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. And if we're going to start using Twitter as a metric for fitness for the office I would still vote for either of them, yes even Harris, over Trump in a heartbeat.

I’m not making a mountain out of it. I’m just responding to them blatantly, deliberately and unabashedly lying to the American voters as part of their campaigns.

And I didn’t say this Tweet was a measure of their “fitness of office.” I said it’s an “indication of what their presidency will be like.” I had similar feelings when Trump was campaigning: that we’ll get four years of gutter-level discourse with him. And that’s what we got. Well, Warren and Harris are showing us what we can expect with them, and it feels scummy.

The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior, and I fully expect more of this kind of dishonesty and chicanery from them.

Being born poor isn't your fault. Choosing to remain poor is. This is coming from a poor black man from a single parent family with 5 brothers and sisters. Some of issues within our communities are because most of us make poor financial decisions.
So, you are one of those who think everyone is poor by choice? And then follow that statement with a point that contradicts you (as I will demonstrate)? What do you think is the root cause of this epidemic of placing very short term reward/pleasure/enjoyment ahead of long term investment in the future? Hm, could it have anything to do with segregation by class and under-provision of services in those segregated areas, less attention to environmental quality--particularly the water supply leading to overall poorer health, high male incarceration rates, exposure to violence, or total absence of life skills programs? Do you think outcomes resulting from these things are a choice?

Canada is far from innocent of this kind of thing as well, but at least when the shit hits the fan, it appears change is often quick to follow. Note that "street checks" as discussed below refer to the practice of stopping people and asking them for ID and personal info even though they have committed no criminal offense as far as the officer is aware. Unfortunately, without the equivalent of American 4th Amendment, we need to argue based upon the charter of rights and freedoms, and as you may or may not know, it's got some loopholes need fixin' but in this case, it seems the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission did the right thing and hired someone independent to study the issue after it was brought to their attention by the RCMP.

Black people in Halifax 6 times more likely to be street checked than whites
A new report released Wednesday on racial profiling by Halifax-area police found black people were street checked at a rate six times higher than white people in Halifax.

The independent report found that in Halifax, the odds of being stopped for a street check were highest for black men, followed by Arab males and black females.

The number is about double the CBC News estimate that triggered this review. The new report comes more than two years after data showed black people were three times more likely than whites to be subjected to the controversial practice in the municipality.

The 180-page report also found the practice of street checks has a disproportionate and negative impact on the African Nova Scotia community, contributing to the criminalization of black youth.

Wortley reported that black community members interviewed for the study said they are afraid of police, they feel targeted by police, and they are treated rudely and aggressively. They also said police treatment of black people has not improved significantly in the past 20 years.

Blacks more likely to be charged
Wortley was hired by the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission in 2017 after a report from Halifax RCMP in January of that year found that in the first 10 months of 2016, 41 per cent of 1,246 street checks involved black Nova Scotians.

Halifax Regional Police figures showed that of the roughly 37,000 people checked between 2005 and 2016, almost 4,100 were black — about 11 per cent of checks — despite making up only 3.59 per cent of the city's population, according to the 2011 census.

In what Wortley described as a "difficult statistic," the report showed that 30 per cent of Halifax's black male population had been charged with a crime, as opposed with 6.8 per cent of the white male population, over that period.

Wortley said this likely means black people are more likely to be charged for the same behaviour than white people.
The charge rate for black males with cannabis offences was four times higher than for white males, even though there's no evidence that black people use more cannabis than white people. [emphasis, mine.]

street-checks.jpg

The report by Scot Wortley, a University of Toronto criminology professor, also found that police in the Halifax region do more street checks than police in Montreal, Vancouver or Ottawa. There were comparable rates in Edmonton and Calgary.

Street checks allow police officers to document information about a person they believe could be of significance to a future investigation, and record details such as their ethnicity, gender, age and location.

EDIT:
Fortunately,
"The new ministerial directive from Minister Furey is being communicated to members of the Halifax Regional Police.

“The moratorium outlines what isn’t acceptable practice and that includes the general intelligence gathering of pedestrians and passengers. The minister was also cognizant that police still have to investigate offenses, we still have to be able to police the community but certainly, there are changes that affect us,” Halifax Regional Police Supt. Jim Perrin said."

But you now, baby steps, https://globalnews.ca/news/5183045/halifax-police-street-check-moratorium/
"The report found very little evidence to support the argument that street checks actually lower crime. Black males, particularly youth, are grossly over-represented in street check statistics.

Perrin didn’t give any indication that a formal apology was in the works by the organization."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back