Omoplata Tips

lethalazn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just recently discovered how useful/effective the omoplata is (as a sweep at least)

Spam your omoplata tips here, how to make it more effective? What are common noob mistakes? How do you make sure they don't just escape/jump over it..what to watch out for? etc. When I asked about the Arm Triangle on this forum, I did get a lot of ton of useful info so I hope to get the same again.

Thanks guys :)

I really like Stephan Kestings tutorial here:

YouTube - Advanced Omo Plata Tutorial

Especially the way he sets it up really intrigued me. Seems to be a very useful control position, sort of halfway between feet on hips and a Shawn Williams-style leg hook guard (without the risk of getting cartwheeled on before you can get your hips out to the side, due to the foot staying on the hip and the arm being much more mobile).

Noob mistake: Never hook around their inside lake to prevent them from rolling, always hook around their waist. A lot of inexperienced people try to grab my leg to prevent me from rolling and escaping the omplata. When the do this..I just secure their arm, flip and put THEM in an omoplata.

Tip: If they posture up, sisscor your legs (straighten them) and force them back down. When you have them controlled, then you can move to finish.

Noob mistake: Never hook around their inside lake to prevent them from rolling, always hook around their waist. A lot of inexperienced people try to grab my leg to prevent me from rolling and escaping the omplata. When the do this..I just secure their arm, flip and put THEM in an omoplata.

Tip: If they posture up, sisscor your legs (straighten them) and force them back down. When you have them controlled, then you can move to finish.

I agree, this can happen.
But I sweep (not finish) all time from having their leg scooped.

I never pulled one off in rolling because I have a hard time keeping the arm snug between my legs while reaching to the other side. I've seen it done a couple of different ways. Some guyscross their legs, others point their feet backwards, and the best way to apply pressure form what i've seen is to lean on his opposite shoulder.

I agree, this can happen.
But I sweep (not finish) all time from having their leg scooped.

You CAN do it..it just CAN be dangerous. If there is a less dangerous way that is optimal..I say go for it over another variation. When i'm put in an opmoplata I'm typically already stepping over and spinning out of it before its even finished...but if I get caught..there first thing on my mind is looking for the arm to catch it or force it in my legs and reverse the omoplata.

The only time I get finished is when some one prevents the spin out AND holds my hip before I can do either.

You CAN do it..it just CAN be dangerous. If there is a less dangerous way that is optimal..I say go for it over another variation. When i'm put in an opmoplata I'm typically already stepping over and spinning out of it before its even finished...but if I get caught..there first thing on my mind is looking for the arm to catch it or force it in my legs and reverse the omoplata.

The only time I get finished is when some one prevents the spin out AND holds my hip before I can do either.

Scooping the leg as an underhook (your hand points toward your head and your opponent's feet) won't leave you open to the counter omoplata roll. It's only when you scoop the leg as an overhook (your hand points toward your feet and your opponent's head) that really leaves you open to the reversal.

I scoop as an underhook all the time, and I find it to be very effective. I never scoop as an overhook for the reasons you listed.

Tricks I've found for me so far: grab your opponents lat or gi. When you land to break their posture kind of hop forward and out 45 degrees. For some opponents and body types some like to keep their legs straight out in front to shoot out to break them forward. Others like to triangle their legs, while myself likes to shoot my legs out the opposite way of my opponent which I believe is the more traditional way. If wrist locks are allowed then that opens up a whole new of omoplata fun.

I like to get the inside arm up to block the second I secure the arm. Lots of guys will just hop over immediately, so it's good to block before they get the chance.

How about the best omoplata escape tip?

maybe not best but what i've learned is, instead of like doing the typical roll forward crap, is to (if your left arm is being omoplata'd) is to take your right arm and scoop it underneath both their knees and grab their pants. Then turn into them and roll into them, effectively also rolling them over your body.

What ends up happening is they scramble as youll have to take your left leg and swing it back over them and end up having them in your guard.

Maybe I'll post a video up in the near future. Something my instructor showed me.

Scooping the leg as an underhook (your hand points toward your head and your opponent's feet) won't leave you open to the counter omoplata roll. It's only when you scoop the leg as an overhook (your hand points toward your feet and your opponent's head) that really leaves you open to the reversal.

I scoop as an underhook all the time, and I find it to be very effective. I never scoop as an overhook for the reasons you listed.

Exactly, pendulum sweep style. This has been my go-to move for the past couple months, leads to a lot of options.

For escaping the omoplata, I've had some success rolling over my outside shoulder. This puts you back in their guard, and you have to be aware of the triangle, but it can work even if they have a good control.

Back