Olympic lifts too complex???

You shouldn't be doing olympic lifts unless you have someone teach you the lifts.

its best to learn the olympic lifts from a qualified coach. however, i dont think its impossible to learn by yourself. i learned the clean and the snatch by myself. i learned the snatch way after the clean though and i think it helps to be familiar with the pulls of the clean before you attempt the snatch. the hardest part, obviously, is racking the weight. just remember, all the power comes from the legs. dont try to pull the weight up with your arms or anything. if you remember to pull yourself under the bar you should be fine.

Gotdamnit Olympic Lifting Is Teh Ghey, All Ya'll Get Over It Now And Go Do Something That's Worth A Damn!

Jesus! Somebody Needs To Stick Something Sharp Between Your Ribs! I Wish It Could Be Me, But I Don't Currently Have The Money To Travel All Over The Country.

CarnalSalvation said:
Gotdamnit Olympic Lifting Is Teh Ghey, All Ya'll Get Over It Now And Go Do Something That's Worth A Damn!

Jesus! Somebody Needs To Stick Something Sharp Between Your Ribs! I Wish It Could Be Me, But I Don't Currently Have The Money To Travel All Over The Country.
Yeah, bench is just so much more hetero

You could have saved us from a lengthy discussion by cutting the crap and just saying "find someone qualified to teach you how to do the olympic lifts properly as doing them with bad form puts you at a great risk"

matsumi said:
BabyPhenom, I agree that any lift with poor form can wreck you.

And I also agree that most people when performing the olympic lifts put a lot of effort into their form and technique because of the high level of complexity.

But if you don't have a good trainer or coach to show you how to perform the lifts with the correct form, then trying to learn the olympic lifts by yourself has to have a higher risk factor then learning how to do something like behind the neck presses by yourself.

Firstly because of the complex nature of the olympic lifts and secondly because of the explosive nature of the lifts.

My point was also the severity of the possible injuries that poor form due to teaching yourself an olympic lift may cause, which SKD also brought up.

And in respoise to SKD's post about the stress on the back being similar to the deadlift.
Similar stresses on the back at the start of the movement but remember the speed or explosiveness of the lift greatly effects the amount of stress on the body, and when the bar is caught and the lifter is in a deep squat either in the snatch or the clean and jerk there is also alot of stress on the body and lower back especially.

The piont of my original post was simply to encourage aljeffery to find a good coach and learn the lifts properly, in the interest of his safety and lifting longevity.

Matsumi

Ahh yes, the form of cleans, I was mainly referring to power cleans, I never really got the technique of full cleans down, mainly because my legs are weak. Full cleans caused my knees to seriously hurt, too dynamic for their liking.

FCFighter316 said:
To Olympic Lifters: just curious, what do your routines look like? Similar to Push/pull/squat setup?

When I was doing it, no.

Here's what I plan to do next cycle

Bench press
Power snatch
C&J
front squat

Low bar squat
Guillontine press
bent row
glute ham raise

deadlift
DB bench press
chins
Power jerk

FCFighter316 said:
To Olympic Lifters: just curious, what do your routines look like? Similar to Push/pull/squat setup?

FCFighter316 said:

My current program goes something like this (off memory, note that it's still lower volume from my back injury):

Monday:
Power snatch
Snatch pulls
Power clean
Push press
Front squat

Wednesday:
Power snatch
Power Clean & Jerk
Clean pulls
Back squat

Friday:
Push press
Clean & Jerk
Clean pulls

Saturday:
Snatch
Power Clean & Jerk
Clean pulls
Front squat

Mixed in all that are some presses, good mornings and various other things, especially when lifting with SKD. If you want you can read my old training log here under "while I'm away"

FCFighter316 said:
Another question, Why do you only do Olympic Lifts? What is your goal? If strength wouldn't powerlifting be better?
My goal is improving my olympic lifts, that's it (well I would like a good vertical and this doesn't hurt that). I have experimented with deadlifts which have been very beneficial (and I will probably go back to in the next strength cycle), as for bench I'm pissweak in that, and only ever really use it to just get a good volume through my workout when I can't O-lift (such as knee or back being stuffed).

FCFighter316 said:
Another question, Why do you only do Olympic Lifts? What is your goal? If strength wouldn't powerlifting be better?

I think Olympic lifting helps increase your power (= strength x speed), by increasing your explosive movements and therefore improving your vertical and presumably your punch and your kick. I also read that they are the fastest 25 m sprinters, have the best vertical jumps and are 2nd only to gymnasts in flexibility. Now that

aljeffery said:
I think Olympic lifting helps increase your power (= strength x speed), by increasing your explosive movements and therefore improving your vertical and presumably your punch and your kick. I also read that they are the fastest 25 m sprinters, have the best vertical jumps and are 2nd only to gymnasts in flexibility. Now that

If you do Olympic lifts with light weights, than it is not dangerous ?

Back