Olympic lifts. should I also bench?

im still doing pushups. and other calisthenics as well.

That's still unbalanced training. You're not training your max strength pushing plane. It makes no sense not to train either a flat or an incline bench at all. Go up to a 5RM once a week and use some linear progression. Unless you had shoulder surgery on something major I find it hard to believe pain isn't piss poor form

That's still unbalanced training. You're not training your max strength pushing plane. It makes no sense not to train either a flat or an incline bench at all. Go up to a 5RM once a week and use some linear progression. Unless you had shoulder surgery on something major I find it hard to believe pain isn't piss poor form
No. No shoulder probs. i like to think i have pretty good form.

Last edited:
Im stil doing compound lifts. Pretty much anything that requires only a bar and plates including squat (front/reg). Bent over row, and deadlift, overhead press. (No overhead squats yet, my form sucks). also Calisthenics (pushups lunches, pullups/chins, abs, dips, & lower back extensions)

As long as you're doing the big compound lifts you'll be fine, but I would include bench in that. I am a believe in strength balance, and you wouldn't want to get a lot of posterior chains strength without some strength in the pushing plane, at least not for grappling. Bench is good for grappling, you definitely use pushing and inward pulling (think ripping a grip away to finish an armbar, similar to a pec fly motion...not that I'm saying you should be doing pec flys, absolutely not) motions all the time.

I love bench, but it would really be an accessory lift for oly lifts.If you enjoy OHP I would focus on that more and maybe do some speed work on bench.

Skimmed like a tard

if you like it do it dude , my focus is primarily oly lifts too but ive been doing dynamic benching lately. havent tested to see if im stronger yet but i do it cos i like doing it

Whats dynamic benching? Sorry google on my phone is messing up so i cantlook it up

Whats dynamic benching? Sorry google on my phone is messing up so i cantlook it up

It's basically a method of training the bench (and also squat and deadlift) to try to become more explosive and got popularized by Westside barbell and Louie Simmons.

In the bench for example you would do something like 8 sets of 3 at 50-60% of your max (with or without accommodating resistance) and focus on moving the bar as quickly as possible during your sets.

doing it fast, with a lower weight. I say if you can, why not? If it causes problems, i.e. pain, then stop. The UK olympic boxing team uses it loads, and I presume they have cause to do so.

It's basically a method of training the bench (and also squat and deadlift) to try to become more explosive and got popularized by Westside barbell and Louie Simmons.

In the bench for example you would do something like 8 sets of 3 at 50-60% of your max (with or without accommodating resistance) and focus on moving the bar as quickly as possible during your sets.

I used to have former raiders D lineman chris cooper as a trainer, he told me that I should do negatives (going 4-10 seconds slow) down to your chest and once the bar touches my cheat, i should explode up as fast as I can without arching my back.

has anyone heard of this method?

I used to have former raiders D lineman chris cooper as a trainer, he told me that I should do negatives (going 4-10 seconds slow) down to your chest and once the bar touches my cheat, i should explode up as fast as I can without arching my back.

has anyone heard of this method?

I can't speak for anyone else but I don't really see the point of doing this. Seems like you just tire yourself out on the eccentric and then can't press it up very fast, not to mention if you're benching properly you should be arching your back. Dynamic benching, to my understanding, involves lowering the bar as quickly as you can under control and then pushing it as fast as you can. Basically faster down = faster up.

edit:
However in terms of using it I wouldn't just throw in DE bench randomly into your training and expect it to work, you'd have to incorporate it into a program in an intelligent manner.

I can't speak for anyone else but I don't really see the point of doing this. Seems like you just tire yourself out on the eccentric and then can't press it up very fast, not to mention if you're benching properly you should be arching your back. Dynamic benching, to my understanding, involves lowering the bar as quickly as you can under control and then pushing it as fast as you can.

ah ill try that out this week.
he also used these things called eccentric hooks? or something like that. they would stay on the ends of the bar during the negatives then pop off once the bar hits your chest

ah ill try that out this week.
he also used these things called eccentric hooks? or something like that. they would stay on the ends of the bar during the negatives then pop off once the bar hits your chest

See my edited post above, I'd advise against just throwing it in randomly but there's something to be said for trying things out and learning on your own. If you are going to try them I'd suggest doing a lot of research into it so you understand why and how to use it properly.

As for the "eccentric hooks" I've heard Louie Simmons refer to them as weight releasers and yes they are used to overload the eccentric during dynamic training (someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) You can also use chains and bands for this purpose as well although they each work in different ways.

If you like/want to bench then do it, it's not going to be a bad thing. I wouldn't focus your workout on it, but doing a few sets of bench is not going to cause any problems. If you are worried about it you can start doing a little lower weight and focusing more on the number of reps than increasing the weight, which will reduce the risk of injury and help muscular endurance. Also switch to dumbbells will help work other muscles as you stabilize the weight.

Back