1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Olympic Lifts, Conditioning, and Overtraining

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Porch_Rabbit, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

Hello S&C. I need some help with conditioning. I am currently doing an olympic lifting routine that is pretty taxing on my body. I lift four days a week and every single day includes some form of squats and cleans/snatches. For example, this week, Monday was front squat, Tuesday/Pause squat, Thursday/Speed Front Squat, Friday/High bar squat. This is in addition to other exercises every day such as various forms of cleans, snatches, push press, etc. Needless to say, this routine is pretty taxing on my body.

My question for you all concerns conditioning. I play DIII basketball and I absolutely need to be in shape. Is there a smart way to include conditioning into this routine without the risk of overtraining? If there is, I would appreciate some suggestions.

I really want to keep my olympic lifting routine the same for the next 4 weeks atleast. But I have always had notoriously bad conditioning and I want to do something about it right now. I just am unaware of what I can add that would benefit me and not cause me to be overtraining.

Keep in mind that I am not a beginner lifter and I am fairly athletic considering I had two scholarship offers to play DI football two years ago. So I am thinking my body can handle some additional conditioning drills(atleast I hope so). Thanks to anyone who helps.

2. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

What's your resting heart rate? If it's over 60, then your conditioning training could be as simple as some low intensity cardio that won't hamper your recovery abilities at all.

3. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

Holy shit my heart rate is at 90 right now. Damn I need to get on that. Well Ill start biking or something after each work out. Can I do that everyday or should i take a day off or two here and there?

4. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

90 is a very high resting heart rate. I don't think that could be accurate. What's your height and weight?

You are better off checking your resting heart rate first thing in the morning while still in bed.

5. zx

zx adventurer

Why is morning the best time?

6. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

Because that is the epitome of a resting heart rate. Your heart rate varies throughout the day due to energy levels, food intake, activity, internal and external temperature, stress, supplements, etc.

But when you go to sleep, you body shuts down everything it doesn't need. Therefore when you wake up, whatever your heart is beating is the closest you'll get to your resting heart rate.

You could just lay down for 5-10 minutes and then check it and get a fairly accurate number, but again the best time is still in the morning as soon as you wake up.

7. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

A good place to start would be some regular steady state work. How often will depend on you, but 2-4 times a week would be good, at least to start. Gradually increase the volume and intensity at a rate you feel comfortable with. Eventually your workouts should be between 20-40 minutes, or occassionally longer, if you like.

What kind of exercise you do for conditioning is entirely up to you, what's important is the effort. That being said there are some considerations for different kinds of exercise, for example; running is convenient, but for some people the impact is an issue, Swimming is low impact, but isn't as convenient, and maybe there's issues with chlorine or technique. Etc. Or vary what you do for conditioning, which helps avoid injuries and keeps things fun.

Once you've gotten better at steady state work, and your resting heart rate has improved, you can start including some anaerobic work.

Because you're relaxed after just waking up, rather than having all kinds of stimuli that might elevate an otherwise normal/healthy heart rate.

8. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

Wouldn't squatting 4 times a week be detrimental gains?

But for conditioning, i would definitely add something like 40 minutes of slow paced cardio. Not so hard that your going to kill yourself but to get your resting heart rate down. GOOD LUCK

9. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Not if it's programmed correctly. Although it's more likely to work in the context of olympic lifting, rather than powerlifting, because deadlifts take more recovery than Oly lifts.

10. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

Haha well this morning my resting heart rate was exactly 60 both times i tested it. I don't know what was going on last night but that's a relief that its not 90.

Tosa, thanks I think I am going to add some biking and swimming since i have had problems with my knees from blowing them out in football and breaking my back has caused problems too. So some low impact work will be perfect. Do you suggest doing this on off days or after workouts? Or both?

Powerhungry, I am 6'8" and about 235 lbs. Sadly that 90 was correct last night. I finished up a workout about an hour before that so you think an hour would be enough to return to resting. I guess not.

11. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

You can do conditioning whenever's convenient, except with steady state work you're better off not doing it right after lifting. If you do it same day get in a good meal or two between lifting and cardio.

12. Cardio King

Cardio King Blue Belt

Instead of a ball player, you should be a guard player.

13. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

60 heart rate isnt bad at all. 90 is off the wall. luckily you tested when you woke up. i would forget if i had to do it first thing in the morning. or if i knew i had to do it i was get my heart rate up because i would know that i would have to do something in the morning so i get up quickly and my heart rate spurts.

14. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

haha I don't even know what that is. Alright, I am going to add 4-5 days of aerobic work to my schedule each week and I am going to wait until I get up to school to drop some lifts and add in anaerobic work. Thanks for the help everyone.