Olympic Lifting Question

BobVulture

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I just recently (2-3 weeks ago) started olympic lifting and I have a few questions. Right now my current max total is 124 kgs, my goal is to get up to anywhere between 200-250 kgs within 3 years, is this an unrealistic goal? BTW my bodyweight is 68 kgs.

My next question concerns training for the clean and jerk. Is it better to do cleans and jerks separately or to do it all as one exercise?

Your goal is most definitely reachable. As for the clean and jerk question: It is beneficial to do cleans alone (to get heavier cleans in), jerks alone (to better your form), and clean & jerks as one (for the full olympic experience). You should mix it up.

The first step to becoming an Olympic power lifter is to use pounds, not kilograms, to measure weight. This is an American website, so it would make sense for you to speak American and talk about how many pounds you're pumpin! Plus it sounds a lot cooler to say I benched 300 pounds instead of 136 kilos.

The metric system is f'n wack.

The first step to becoming an Olympic power lifter is to use pounds, not kilograms, to measure weight. This is an American website, so it would make sense for you to speak American and talk about how many pounds you're pumpin! Plus it sounds a lot cooler to say I benched 300 pounds instead of 136 kilos.

I think you have it backwards.

1920.jpg

As there is no such thing as an Olympic powerlifter, I doubt there is a first step in becomming one.

And, of course, totals in weightlifting are pretty much always given in Kg., even in US competitions.

Sounds like somebody has a hard time multiplying and dividing by 2.2.

And regarding TS's questions. What MASShole and Chaseg said. A coach isn't completely necessary, but it would be very beneficial, especially if olympic lifting is a priority. In addition, find yourself a routine that you can follow consistently, and makes use of consistent, gradual progression.

250 kgs won't be easy. At 69kg bodyweight, the lower tier guys in the Olympic games usually have totals of 250-300. It is attainable though

Follow a program that gets you used to the mechanics first, something like this:

Olympic Weightlifting - QWA - Training Programs - Beginner

And after that gradually progress to a more advanced program that has you lifting 5 days a week or so. As for doing the jerk individually it doesn't really matter. Lifters have had success with a number of different training methods. There are a few programs on that site that are worth looking at.

Back