olympic jiu jitsu

training for different track distances is absolutely NOT the same, ESPECIALLY in elite levels.

Everyone is bitching about how much the Olympics suck and are corrupt... So why do you care if BJJ is in them, then?

Anyway, wasn't Pankratium supposed to be in as an exhibition, too?

Olympic medals are still valued and despite the corruption I still look foward to the Olympics. Its still the highest level of competition for a huge number of sports. Also, sports that become Olympic one's get extra goverment funding.

Judo's rules were changed to favor stand up action, so I doubt that a ground based art like BJJ would get in, because it is not always action packed on the ground. Wrestling already has the ground aspect covered so I doubt you will see BJJ in the olymipcs.

Spoonman7 said:
Judo's rules were changed to favor stand up action, so I doubt that a ground based art like BJJ would get in, because it is not always action packed on the ground. Wrestling already has the ground aspect covered so I doubt you will see BJJ in the olymipcs.

let

true i would love to see sub grappling it deserves it more then most of the sports that make the cut.

There already is an Olympics for sub grappling...it's called ADCC. All the glory, all the athleticism, none of the bullshit (so far).

Yes, the Olympics are corrupt. Remember the Salt Lake selection committee scandal?
Plus there's way too much politics involved (Moscow 1980, Munich 1972, L.A. 1984).

Overall, I still have tremendous respect for the athletes. Not many of us can call ourselves "Olympians" no matter what the sport, nor your prejudices about what sports are more athletic than others...

It will be awesome to have submission wrestling in olympic

pinprophet said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't BJJ at the Pan-Am Games?

I think you're mistaken.
There are the Pan American Championships for BJJ every year, sanctioned by CBJJ/IBJJF (the largest and most recognized BJJ organization in the world...they also run the Mundials). But these are different from the Pan-Am Games.

DonkeyKong said:
training for different track distances is absolutely NOT the same, ESPECIALLY in elite levels.
Not to the same level as grappling arts.

Chute Stomp said:
Olympic medals are still valued and despite the corruption I still look foward to the Olympics. Its still the highest level of competition for a huge number of sports. Also, sports that become Olympic one's get extra goverment funding.
Tell that to American judo players :(

I think the easiest way to make this happen is to slowly evolve judo.

1) Allow longer work on the ground (5 year plan).
2) Allow leg / ankle locks (10 year plan).

You now have submission wrestling.
Of course there's the whole gi issue, but hey, baby steps.

Spoonman7 said:
I am just going by what I have read, back in the day competition Judo had much more ground work but to become an olympic sprt in 1964, more rules were added to keep the action standing. Over the years more and more rules are put in place to keep the fight standing, don't get me wrong, fights are still won on the ground but all of the rule changes are making that more difficult.

Kind of like the difference between old school Vale Tudo and very early UFC/MMA, compared to today's MMA...

DMcKayBJJ said:
Kind of like the difference between old school Vale Tudo and very early UFC/MMA, compared to today's MMA...

Exactly, plus being an olymipc sport is kind of overrated, I lawyas think of things Dan Henderson has said, that there is a lot of corruption in olympic sports and that judges will give very bias decisions to fighters, while I am sure that happens in BJJ now, but do we really want massive corruption in BJJ ? no, it grows by leaps and bounds every day so there is no need to worry, and if it ever did become an olymipc sport, the rules would be havily watered down, and who would want to see that ?

I think it's kinda fucked up what sports get introduced into the Olympics and what sports they don't seem to want to take. I think it'd be awesome if BJJ was introduced into the Olympics, we could see some televised events of the baddest men on the planet going at it (Jacare, Marcelo Garcia) and not have to pay for it. It would be good exposure for the sport. And God knows it's more of an athletic, skillful, and competitive sport than fuckin Table Tennis, which is in the Olympics. But here's a question, would you want it to be with the gi, or without? I know all of you "Eddie Bravo this, MMA that" guys are gonna say no-gi.

Back