Olympic champion or world champion? What's more prestigious?

dayumlol

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Lomachenko Dad is the best trainer right now and he said Olympics are better.

What do you think?

Lomachenko Dad is the best trainer right now and he said Olympics are better.

What do you think?
Yeah the Olympics are seen as the most prestigious, they generally have better turn outs with regard to the athletes competing. I would trust Loma's dad as his son has won two of each.

EDIT: I've seen that others are interpreting the question as Am vs Pro which is a different question entirely. You can't really compare them as you can get easy shots at World Titles as a pro or really hard routes. The Olympics can be really hard or easy as well. Joshua got some favourable decisions on route to winning a Gold medal but then RJJ got absolutely shafted for a Gold by dodgy decision. So I think you have to take it on a case by case basis. For someone like Loma he fought harder fights to get the Golds than he did getting his first two World titles as a pro.

Last edited:
Most amateurs strive to be elite pros.

It’s tough. What blows me away is the fact that there were 3 boxers out there who got a gold medal 3 times. Laszlo Papp, Teofilo Stevenson, Felix Savon. Almost Every more than a casual boxing fan knows these names. That’s damn impressive. Some of the greatest names in amateur boxing history have been almost completely forgotten though. Roberto Balado, Mario Kindelan, the dude who got gold by beating GGG in the finals. (Doing this post completely off memory without google searching lol) . . . We’ve seen boxing be pretty unforgiving to some gold medalists who didn’t go on to accomplish much in the pro ranks as well. Howard Davis, Tyrell Biggs, Odlanier Solis, Yan Barthelemy, even some fighters who DID go on to become champions: Leo Randolph, Yuriorkis Gamboa, David Reid who’s basically known for nothing other than being a Tito Trinidad victim. I think the triple gold medalists are the most memorable. But unless you live in a country where pro boxing is banned who would wanna stay amateur that long!? Unless your name is Raushee Warren lol! Gold Medal, world champion, both are incredible accomplishments. It’s kinda hard to compare. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, the big 3 all picked up gold. Guys like Mayweather, Roy, Holyfield, we’ve seen them fall short of gold, but these are great gotdamn fighters! Heck Tyson couldn’t even get in!! I think obviously lol the most impressive thing are those that win gold then go on to win world champions. We see lots of forgotten gold medalists and world champions though. I’m gonna have to go with, if I had to pick between the 2, becoming world champion. Quality on your resume is something to factor in too. Who’d you beat? That can even apply to the Olympics. 1984 had no Russians or Cubans!! How different would the winning team look if that weren’t the case!? What gets me about the 1984 Gold Medalists is, Tyrell Biggs probably had the hardest road to gold out of everyone. Had to face Lennox Lewis AND Francisco Damiani. But then he went on to have one of the worst pro careers of the winning class. This post is all over the place. I think I just wanted to test my memory and see how much I remember without googling lol

I think the answer to this question depends on geography, and to be honest, somewhat watered down belts. Are we talking gold medal v one of 4 belts, or gold medal vs being the man in the division.

Hopefully Triple C will check in with an opinion..

In Boxing? Pro easily. Olymlpic amateurs go pro, not vice-versa.

World champion, the paychecks are 1000000000x more prestigious let alone the gold you get.

It’s tough. What blows me away is the fact that there were 3 boxers out there who got a gold medal 3 times. Laszlo Papp, Teofilo Stevenson, Felix Savon. Almost Every more than a casual boxing fan knows these names. That’s damn impressive. Some of the greatest names in amateur boxing history have been almost completely forgotten though. Roberto Balado, Mario Kindelan, the dude who got gold by beating GGG in the finals. (Doing this post completely off memory without google searching lol) . . . We’ve seen boxing be pretty unforgiving to some gold medalists who didn’t go on to accomplish much in the pro ranks as well. Howard Davis, Tyrell Biggs, Odlanier Solis, Yan Barthelemy, even some fighters who DID go on to become champions: Leo Randolph, Yuriorkis Gamboa, David Reid who’s basically known for nothing other than being a Tito Trinidad victim. I think the triple gold medalists are the most memorable. But unless you live in a country where pro boxing is banned who would wanna stay amateur that long!? Unless your name is Raushee Warren lol! Gold Medal, world champion, both are incredible accomplishments. It’s kinda hard to compare. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, the big 3 all picked up gold. Guys like Mayweather, Roy, Holyfield, we’ve seen them fall short of gold, but these are great gotdamn fighters! Heck Tyson couldn’t even get in!! I think obviously lol the most impressive thing are those that win gold then go on to win world champions. We see lots of forgotten gold medalists and world champions though. I’m gonna have to go with, if I had to pick between the 2, becoming world champion. Quality on your resume is something to factor in too. Who’d you beat? That can even apply to the Olympics. 1984 had no Russians or Cubans!! How different would the winning team look if that weren’t the case!? What gets me about the 1984 Gold Medalists is, Tyrell Biggs probably had the hardest road to gold out of everyone. Had to face Lennox Lewis AND Francisco Damiani. But then he went on to have one of the worst pro careers of the winning class. This post is all over the place. I think I just wanted to test my memory and see how much I remember without googling lol
How was it the hardest road for Biggs when the Soviet Union boycotted the 84 games and Teofilo Stevenson wasn't able to defend his 3 straight olympic golds and then beat Biggs the following February?

Well are we talking Amateurs only? Because there are World Championships for those too. But the Olympic would have most prestige even though there may be a case that the Worlds have more talent.

If we are talking Amateurs and Pro's then it depends on geography. In many countries it's considered such a huge honor and pays more to be a top amateur and olympic champion. In general though, I'm going to say being a pro world champion is more prestigious, but who knows. An American male winning a gold medal in any smaller weight class may have more prestige than a 1 off short reign world title in the pros, especially since I think Andre Ward is still the last American to win a gold at the olympics back in 2004.

Because there are World Championships for those too. But the Olympic would have most prestige even though there may be a case that the Worlds have more talent.
Olympics are ONCE in 4 years.
Large continent level tournaments = each year.
Large world championships = 3 during 4 years.
--------
Sell to fan in cubicle Olympics is easier : lesser ammount of medalists, lesser ammounts of seconds for them to search.
--
I agree that Pan Am level championship is hell if compare with U.S National and I do know what hell is european level tournaments : talent pool more than in Canada, US, Mexico together………….
Asian continentals, there too, some might be with Incredible concurrence even if compare with european and pan ams.
It depends.

How was it the hardest road for Biggs when the Soviet Union boycotted the 84 games and Teofilo Stevenson wasn't able to defend his 3 straight olympic golds and then beat Biggs the following February?

Yeah. Man. I actually pointed that out in my post. I meant the hardest road compared to the other guys who medaled that year. For what it was worth, taking on Lennox and Damiani was harder than what in my opinion the other 84 Gold Medaliats had to face. As I pointed out in my post, I think it’d be a whole different tune with Russians and Cubans involved

roy didn’t fall short of gold- Roy had his medal stolen by BS politics

roy didn’t fall short of gold- Roy had his medal stolen by BS politics
Yep, I think that is one of the clearest non-debatable examples of a robbery you can have in boxing.

Back