Olympic Boxing: Women still wearing headgear is sexist?

The sexes are very different --is that a sexist statement
According to some, yes that is a sexist statement. In regards to sports, don't you know that women want to compete just as much as women do? (that is the position of many)

Isn't the real point of headgear to prevent cuts?

Anyway, women's boxing should be eliminated altogether. Lol who watches that crap?

Yep, headguards are there to prevent cuts and other cosmetic/superficial damage. If someone hits you in the head as hard they can then a few centimeters of light foam isn't going to make any significant difference.

As for women wearing them at the Olympics, I'm with you, I'll let the handfuls of people who are interested in it worry about that.

Doesn't matter if the seats are empty, the IOC has decided they want to have as many females athletes competing as there are males competing. That is a large factor in women's boxing now being in the Olympics, boxing was the only sport without female competitors. That pressure is on all sports, it has resulted in events lowering their qualifying marks in order to get more women athletes into the games and punishing sports that hesitate to go along - the IOC rape and slaughter of FILA wrestling.

It's bullshit. There simply aren't enough women who box to warrent it being an Olympic sport. The standard is just terrible. They are basically depriving lots of high quality men the chance to compete and fans the chance to see them, just so they can accommodate substandard women.

It's bullshit. There simply aren't enough women who box to warrent it being an Olympic sport. The standard is just terrible. They are basically depriving lots of high quality men the chance to compete and fans the chance to see them, just so they can accommodate substandard women.
True.

At least they haven't become as militant as the USA's NCAA and implementation of Title IX - the belief that women want to & are as willing to compete in competitive sports as much as men are. And the general enforcement of that along gender enrollment figures.

There's really only one reason I've watched Olympic Boxing in the past, it is because of this ugly fucker:

insta.0.gif

The way he tears into all of the officials - most of whom are sitting just mere feet away is: Hill. Air. Re. Us.

Atlas and Bob Papa basically walked off the set back in 2012, the last two day's coverage was done remotely by some dudes in a studio in London.

Last edited:
Meh, women are more likely to get concussions than men when performing the same activity. Let's see how well the no headgear thing works for the disposable humans first, and we'll go from here.

Headgear is there to prevent unnecessary cuts that force officials to stop matches. They aren't gonna save you from a concussion.

Honestly I prefer to seriously spar without head gear because if you get popped without it your clearly hurt and you stop.

With head gear you can walk through shots and end up with a two day headache, which I would think is dangerous or at the very least more unhealthy.

honestly, I prefer to not spar at all because I don't like getting punched.<18>

This year, all men will compete with no headgear.

However for women, unless they choose to change the rules, must wear headgear. People are saying its sexist.

What do you think? Are they saying women are just not good and cant protect themselves?

I think its bullshit and they should be free. I dont understand this reasoning at all. Its like they are saying men is "real fighting" and women is "child fighting".

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/male...longer-wear-ridiculous-and-dangerous-headgear

The women should be forced to fight men without head gear. Equality unlocked.

Yep, headguards are there to prevent cuts and other cosmetic/superficial damage. If someone hits you in the head as hard they can then a few centimeters of light foam isn't going to make any significant difference.

As for women wearing them at the Olympics, I'm with you, I'll let the handfuls of people who are interested in it worry about that.
Not to mention women have less power than men.

Heres another thing.

The IOC decided to allow female boxers to wear skirts because they couldnt tell the difference between men and women. Now do you think girls can still wear skirts?

In the past year, AIBA faced international criticism and sexism charges for encouraging female fighters to try wearing skirts in competition. AIBA president Wu Ching-Kuo said he heard from fans and amateur boxing officials who claimed they couldn't tell women from men, particularly on television, because fighters wear the same protective headgear.

Although AIBA insisted it never contemplated requiring boxers to wear skirts, its debate of the issue enraged women's rights advocates in recent months.

Most fighters from Western nations rejected the suggestion, calling it sexist, including Irish three-time world champion Katie Taylor and several prominent American fighters.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/7634854/women-boxers-wear-skirts-2012-london-games

Head hear is to minimize cuts.

It has it draw backs but not as bad as going into a fight with damage or worse being not allowed to fight because of damage.

Back