Olympic Boxing: Women still wearing headgear is sexist?

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This year, all men will compete with no headgear.

However for women, unless they choose to change the rules, must wear headgear. People are saying its sexist.

What do you think? Are they saying women are just not good and cant protect themselves?

I think its bullshit and they should be free. I dont understand this reasoning at all. Its like they are saying men is "real fighting" and women is "child fighting".

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/male...longer-wear-ridiculous-and-dangerous-headgear

(MALE) OLYMPIC BOXERS WILL NO LONGER WEAR RIDICULOUS AND DANGEROUS HEADGEAR

As of right now the AIBA’s ban on headgear in amateur fights and at this summer’s upcoming Olympics only extends as far as male heads. For now women fighters will continue to fistfight the old-fashioned way: with a giant, blinding delusion fastened to their vulnerable heads.

Last edited:
Article says it's the first time in 30 years, so the men's division is basically a test. They expect it's coming for women next year. Non-story.

Honestly I prefer to seriously spar without head gear because if you get popped without it your clearly hurt and you stop.

With head gear you can walk through shots and end up with a two day headache, which I would think is dangerous or at the very least more unhealthy.

Honestly I prefer to seriously spar without head gear because if you get popped without it your clearly hurt and you stop.

With head gear you can walk through shots and end up with a two day headache, which I would think is dangerous or at the very least more unhealthy.
I get hit a lot more when wearing headgear too. It does mitigate medium intensity shots into soft ones, but hard shots do just as much damage. And partners subconsciously throw harder too.

Isn't the real point of headgear to prevent cuts?

Anyway, women's boxing should be eliminated altogether. Lol who watches that crap?

Not to mention the myriad of issues as well
-added weight of the gear + constant blows to your head = minor form of whiplash
-obscured vision
-harder to breathe

It really only helps with cuts and bruises.
I ditched mine about a year ago. I did wear it once 2 months ago, as I had a company meeting and didn't want to show up looking like a hooligan. And man, it was like there was a heater on top of my head after a few rounds of sparring. Its not like it was a tight super protection type either, its an open faced one with a velcro chin strap.

Last edited:
I get hit a lot more when wearing headgear too. It does mitigate medium intensity shots into soft ones, but hard shots do just as much damage. And partners subconsciously throw harder too.
That's right, it does compromise your vision.

It's still an interesting rationale. Men 's headgear was abolished because it is supposedly more dangerous in the long run.

Women and children still have to wear it because...

Meh, women are more likely to get concussions than men when performing the same activity. Let's see how well the no headgear thing works for the disposable humans first, and we'll go from here.

Anyway, women's boxing should be eliminated altogether. Lol who watches that crap?
Doesn't matter if the seats are empty, the IOC has decided they want to have as many females athletes competing as there are males competing. That is a large factor in women's boxing now being in the Olympics, boxing was the only sport without female competitors. That pressure is on all sports, it has resulted in events lowering their qualifying marks in order to get more women athletes into the games and punishing sports that hesitate to go along - the IOC rape and slaughter of FILA wrestling.

Jesus H. Christ does every damn thing need to be about sexism?

So protecting women is sexist.

Is sexism the new racism?

Doesn't matter if the seats are empty, the IOC has decided they want to have as many females athletes competing as there are males competing. That is a large factor in women's boxing now being in the Olympics, boxing was the only sport without female competitors. That pressure is on all sports, it has resulted in events lowering their qualifying marks in order to get more women athletes into the games and punishing sports that hesitate to go along - the IOC rape and slaughter of FILA wrestling.

No wrestking in Rio olympics? Damn..

"He found that in the 7,352 rounds that took place with boxers wearing headgear, the rate of concussion was 0.38 per cent, compared with 0.17 per cent in the 7,545 rounds without headgear."

What fights were used in this study?? Were the non headgear bouts professional fights? That is a really low number of concussions.

I would think headgear would be worn for cut prevention, especially in a tournament format.

Wrestling is back in the games. The number of participants are lower now though. 6 weight divisions in each men's freestyle & greco-roman and 6 in women's freestyle. in 2012 each men's style had 7 weight classes, 2000 it was 8, 1996 it was 10.

Years ago FILA could have built up women's wrestling and maneuvered to keep more men competitors. But they stalled and then only added a few female weights and by then the IOC was putting a limit on the number of athletes allowed at the games, limiting each sport to a specific number of athletes (example, 285 slots for men and women) and wrestling was forced to cut back the number of men competing to accommodate the women wrestlers.
Then FILA doubled down on their arrogance and briefly got kicked out of the games.

Katie Taylor is the GOAT Irish fighter, and the face of boxing in Ireland.

Conor WhoGregor?

I think they should get to compete without headgear. The power of the shots should be relative and if they're allowing men to compete without it, women should be able to too.

I prefer training without headgear. If you sweat enough, it can slide around and inhibit your vision, especially if any grappling is involved. The only time I've ever been concussed, I was wearing headgear and didn't see a headkick coming due to poor peripheral vision.

they eliminated it so they can add GOLF and kitesurfing. It took international protest to bring wrestling back, but the fact that they saw it as disposable speaks volumes about the IOC.

Wrestling is back in the games. The number of participants are lower now though. 6 weight divisions in each men's freestyle & greco-roman and 6 in women's freestyle. in 2012 each men's style had 7 weight classes, 2000 it was 8, 1996 it was 10.

Years ago FILA could have built up women's wrestling and maneuvered to keep more men competitors. But they stalled and then only added a few female weights and by then the IOC was putting a limit on the number of athletes allowed at the games, limiting each sport to a specific number of athletes (example, 285 slots for men and women) and wrestling was forced to cut back the number of men competing to accommodate the women wrestlers.
Then FILA doubled down on their arrogance and briefly got kicked out of the games.
Good to know Wrestlings are back I thought it was completely removed.

The sexes are very different --is that a sexist statement

Why would it be sexist only towards women ?

Olympic Boxing:

32a14df22cc90f2e31fe53ff3097e179.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back