olympic bar

bladesman

White Belt
Reaction score
alright lads just wondering i do a bit of training at my workplace and the barbell is shorter than an olympic one so the weights are closer to me i can rep 3 sets of ten 100kg pretty comfy on short one yet on olympic barbell can only reach 7 on 1st set doin my head in i know the weight i can do any ideas ?????? cheers

The olympic bar weighs more than the short bar, hence less reps. Genius

i know that wanker but the total weight is same anyone else apart from clever bastard got an answer

the farther the weight is away from your body, the harder your body has to work to stabilize it.

Mental Weakness perhaps, i.e. what your lifting looks bigger, so subconsciously you feel that it's heavier.

No, Remy is right. MY dad and I were just discussing this. For whatever reason the closer to the end of the bar you are teh harder the lift is.

I used to not have enough 100's/45's at home, so I it'd be whatever plates I could fit on the bar.

CarnalSalvation said:
No, Remy is right. MY dad and I were just discussing this. For whatever reason the closer to the end of the bar you are teh harder the lift is.

I used to not have enough 100's/45's at home, so I it'd be whatever plates I could fit on the bar.

short explanation: the farther a a weight is away from its pivot point the more of a moment its going to produce. a moment is simply defined as the force applied (in this case the plates on the end of the bar) times the distance away from a pivot (one being where your hand is holding the bar). so lets say if theres a 45 lb plate 1 foot away from your hand, then theres a 45 ft-lb moment. but if the plate is 2 feet away, theres a 90 ft-lb moment. now, theres going to be a moment on each end of the bar, which in theory should cancel each other out, but youre arms are not perfectly rigid supports either. each tiny movement gets results in an instabilty of the moments, so the farther away the weight is, the greater resulting net momenet occurs from said instability.

Back