Oliveira vs Ryan Hall, who has the best BJJ for mma?

GUY

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I feel like Oliveira is more proven but Hall looked more impressive. Are they the best of all time, or are Werdum and Maia ahead?

Oliveira has the best BJJ for MMA because he’s improved other facets of his fighting skills so he can get into grappling situations more fluidly.

I can’t remember which fight it was but remember when Ryan Hall spent three rounds attempting Imanari rolls and getting nowhere near catching a leg...

Edit: It was the Grey Maynard fight which he apparently won by decision so he must have actually done something

Oliveira has the best BJJ for MMA because he’s improved other facets of his fighting skills so he can get into grappling situations more fluidly.

I can’t remember which fight it was but remember when Ryan Hall spent three rounds attempting Imanari rolls and getting nowhere near catching a leg...
Imo prime Werdum is better and od we talk about bjj for mma Maia is the best. It's not about striking threat but adapting takedowns and ground game to mma. Oliveira got tapped a few times in UFC

Werdum and Maia are easily ahead. Oliveira is a beast but look who Werdum has submiited. Cain, Big Nog and Fedor. Overeem too. That's insane

Charles has been so impressive lately. He forces a grappling match on you.

I need to see more from Ryan tbh. I know he's very slick but I'd like to see him fight more just to see how his skills translate to MMA.

Reactions: Gio
Werdum and Maia are easily ahead. Oliveira is a beast but look who Werdum has submiited. Cain, Big Nog and Fedor. Overeem too. That's insane
You are probably right, but Oliveira does have the record of submission wins in the UFC and Ryan Hall, correct me if I am wrong, is the guy with the best pure BJJ record among the ones mentioned.
In terms of career I agree with you, since the guys you mention have a lot more fights. But skillwise? Not sure.

I feel like Oliveira is more proven but Hall looked more impressive. Are they the best of all time, or are Werdum and Maia ahead?

hard to say because Ryan Hall doesn’t fight enough.

Edit: It was the Grey Maynard fight which he apparently won by decision so he must have actually done something
Werdum was doing similar things when he transitioned to mma

the guys you mentioned and Oliveira are obviously better mma fighters than Hall, they have better striking and wrestling, but I am talking purely from the perspective of what happens once the fight hits the ground.

Hall? You mean THE Ryan Hall?! The guy that decisions Elkins?!?!? That guy is a BEAST!!! He even beat Artem Lobov! By decision!!!! He's the GOAT
He beat BJ Penn, one of the greatest LW's of all time.

Big Nog, Doom and Maia for me.

As far as subs in general Fedor.

Love Ryan but he started too late and doesn’t fight enough. He has the skills to be legendary in the bjj for mma sense but he won’t have the time to do it. He’s still honing that craft and it takes time and fights. He has neither.

You are probably right, but Oliveira does have the record of submission wins in the UFC and Ryan Hall, correct me if I am wrong, is the guy with the best pure BJJ record among the ones mentioned.
In terms of career I agree with you, since the guys you mention have a lot more fights. But skillwise? Not sure.
On paper Jacare has the best credentials. Ryan Hall is also behind Werdum

He very easily could have lost that fight; it was a toss up if you ask me; he landed the cleaner offense but he spent the whole fight as you describe. I agree with you.

Back