1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
  2. Hey Guest, The Non Gif Shoop Contest Round 1 is now active, so cast your votes! Non Gif Shoop Contest Round 1 »

Oliveira and Dariush Right Place at the Right Time

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ackmed, May 16, 2021.

1. Ackmed Black Belt

Both of these guys got propelled to being top contenders by beating a past-prime Tony Ferguson who at the time was a fringe top 15 at best but had a top 5 rank next to his name. Low Risk High Reward.

Oliveira was very competitive with Fighter Kevin Lee just a year ago, then beat a shot version of Tony and almost lost to Chandler last night.

Dariush was getting pieced up by Drew Dober (who then got dominated by Islam), got a split decision over fringe top 15 CDF then a win over a should-be retired Tony. By beating over-ranked Tony he'll be in a contender fight next.

Discuss

2. chinarice Steel Belt

I agree that they both beat a past prime Tony and think Oli will lose the belt to Poirier if they fight.

Dariush didn't look that good to me. Tony just looked that bad. I don't think Dariush beats the JGs, Chandlers, Poiriers, Oliveiras, etc..

Makhachev needs to be given a top 5-10 guy now. If no one accepts, he should be allowed to jump the line.

3. SalvadorAllende Steel Belt

Both guys have been doing some heavy lifting in the UFC for quite a long time. Oliveira fought the who is who and just hit his prime.
    Dariush was always top 10 material.

I understand you are mad that Islam keeps getting high risk-low rewards fights but don't hate on others.

4. SpecialDelivery Purple Belt

Both are definitely not the "best" LW imo.
    I dont think Oliveira will be champ for a long time, he has a great streak going, but has a blueprint on how to beat him.
    Unfortunately and very rapidly, Ferguson may be going down the same road as Cerrone has. He looks much slower with his reaction time, imo if he fights someone who can really crack, hes gonna get his lights put out.

5. Jojomojo Purple Belt

I dont know atleast they beat some top 10 opponents except for this Islam guy who keeps fighting unranked guys.

Other than that you are right about Dariush, i guess he will lose to some of the other top fighters of the division.
    Oliveira did not only get propelled because who he beat, but how he beat them. And nearly losing to Chandler is hardly an argument for anything.

6. DoctorDeelon Purple Belt

Calling Tony "low risk" immediately tipped your cards, and your cards say "casual dumbass".

Paladin and Alphakennybody20 like this.
  7. Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

After watching those two performances, your initial reaction was to hate on both of these guys? Give it a fucking break, lol.

Also trying to use MMA Math as a basis to discredit them is hilarious.

8. SKYNET Infrared Belt Platinum Member

<JackieThumbsUp> ran out of likes

Paladin likes this.
  9. Huligani Number One Bullshit

Typical Sherdog. Ferguson is suddenly past his prime just because he lost. Ignore how he looked the same as he always did.

Paladin, Khabib Khanate and xhaydenx like this.
  10. Koro_11 Gold Belt

Ya your mancrush has been in the right place right time too for the last 3 years or so, and he's only fought 3 times in that span.

More like they've been active and taking on whoever is in front of them, good for them. Fuck inactivity and unproven hype, get in the cage or shut up.

11. Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

Every guy Tony has lost to recently is a top tier fighter. Two of them held a belt. Beneil has always been a fantastic grappler and has good subs. Let's shit on them though!

Paladin, Argonaut, JKS and 3 others like this.
  12. Rvd Slmr Silver Belt Platinum Member

Being at right time and the right place is just a consequence of being active, Islam.

Khabib Khanate and lsa like this.
  13. HatKick Purple Belt

Don't take your frustration over the Islam situation out on Olives. He's done everything you could ask for and is a legit champ. He hasn't yet proven he's the best LW but that's normal when you first win the belt.

As for Dariush I think this is about as far as he goes. Got rocked by Klose, lost the 3rd round against CDF and just layed on past prime Tony. He will lose his first 5 round main event.

Khabib Khanate and micentay666 like this.
  14. Sirwastealot Silver Belt

I don't agree with anything that goes along the lines of "he beat that guy, who almost lost to that guy, who fought a guy out of his prime, who had a split decision against" blah blah blah

That's just nitpicking to discredit great fighters. Oliveira earned that title, chandler is a killer too i see him fighting for the title again.

15. Fergelmince Red Belt

It's fine with me. It's sports entertainment. If you want tournaments, go somewhere else. Besides, the goatherder is a bad look for the UFC.

16. Wonderfight Yellow Belt

''Almost lost to Chandler''.... Love it. Dustin almost subbed Khabib I guess.

Paladin, Argonaut and Khabib Khanate like this.
  17. Dog Gynecologist Reug Reug Stan Account

Tony wasn't fringe top 15 when Oliveira fought him. He was #1 contender just 1 fight ago, i don't think losing to Justin Gaethje bump you out of the Top 5

Paladin likes this.
  18. MidgardSerpent Black Belt

Just another typical sherdog thread yapping about how every mma fighter is SuPeR oVeRraTed.

19. empsim Black Belt

Yes, he was in the octagon 9 times in 3 years and won all those fights.

Definitely the right place and time.

20. Ackmed Black Belt

In his last two fights Tony would have lost to any top 10 LW perhaps even any top 15.

We did not know he was low risk at the time but he was.

Was he a high risk opponent last night?