Olive Oil Buyer's Guide

Thanks MM.

**goes to check out my olive oil bottles for IOOC or COOC stamp**

Macadamia Nut oil is also a very good oil. It's omega 6 breakdown is very similar to olive oil.

his recommendation to only get EVOO is off base tho. Cooking w/ EVOO degrades the oil and makes it no different than just olive oil. It might be a very, very small amount better, but not enough to justify the difference in cost.

Macadamia Nut oil is also a very good oil. It's omega 6 breakdown is very similar to olive oil.

To expand:

The breakdown of MUFA, PUFA, and SAT is fairly similar.

Macadamia oil has a ratio of 6.3:1 of O6:O3, and olive oil is slightly higher at 13.1:1

Interestingly enough, Cordain is a fan of canola oil, due to the high MUFA content, and O6:03 ratio of 2:1, which (he describes) as being optimal.

This is taken from Cordian's The Paleo Diet for Athletes

Anyone know about Costco EVOO? All it says is EVOO, first cold press.

Anyone know about Costco EVOO? All it says is EVOO, first cold press.

I was at Costco today, and looked at their olive oil. Didn't notice any certs anywhere on the label; I'd hazard a guess that you'd be paying a hefty price in a premium shop for high grade olive oil.

To expand:

The breakdown of MUFA, PUFA, and SAT is fairly similar.

Macadamia oil has a ratio of 6.3:1 of O6:O3, and olive oil is slightly higher at 13.1:1

Interestingly enough, Cordain is a fan of canola oil, due to the high MUFA content, and O6:03 ratio of 2:1, which (he describes) as being optimal.

This is taken from Cordian's The Paleo Diet for Athletes

I may be reading that ratio wrong but I always thought Mac Nut oil had more sats than polys...

http://vitanetonline.com/forums/1/Thread/708

EDIT: Nvm. I'm an idiot.

I was at Costco today, and looked at their olive oil. Didn't notice any certs anywhere on the label; I'd hazard a guess that you'd be paying a hefty price in a premium shop for high grade olive oil.

Yeah, I've got the Sam's Club "select Premium" brand and "Omaggio" brand that I bought at Sam's. Neither of them has a cert anywhere either.:icon_neut

Back