Oleksandr Usyk signs with Matchroom

He'll have plenty of success at HW. There aren't that many good HWs.
His lack of punching power works at cw. He can move around avoid shots etc. his shots are at least annoying

You put him against a big top hw, imo he gets splattered. Hell i thought breidis did damn well walking through his shots and landing his own for the most part

Credit to usyk for doing enough to win but tbh....i think I’d even pick someone like whyte to beat him just based on size and being able to wing serious power shots

Your telling me usky has enough to keep whyte off him? Imo he does not

His lack of punching power works at cw. He can move around avoid shots etc. his shots are at least annoying

You put him against a big top hw, imo he gets splattered. Hell i thought breidis did damn well walking through his shots and landing his own for the most part

Credit to usyk for doing enough to win but tbh....i think I’d even pick someone like whyte to beat him just based on size and being able to wing serious power shots

he doesn't have the thundering one punch KO power of someone like wilder, ortiz, or joshua, but he does have some sting in his shots. when he plants his feet and nails guys, he hits them cleanly and precisely, and they back off. and that's the thing, every top guy in the heavyweight division looks like a staggering fool when compared to usyk. he boxes their ears off, all of them.

i do agree that he isn't likely to just take the division by storm. the power some of these guys posses is ridiculous, and we don't know how well he'll be taking shots at hw. it wouldn't shock me to see him put a boxing clinic on someone, only to be caught eventually and put away.

but it's probably too early to really talk about all that. he needs to take a fight at heavyweight and then we'll know. if he can put on quality weight, keep his speed and mobility, and his chin holds up... he'll be a serious player. he might even improve his power. but on the other hand, maybe he's as big as he can get, will only get slower and more static, and gets put to sleep the first time someone of quality connects on him. we just have no clue right now.

Whyte isn't exactly a sophisticated pressure fighter. I could see Usyk outboxing him even if Whyte walks through his shots. I don't see Usyk beating the likes of Fury (assuming he gets back into form), Joshua, or Wilder, but he has a very good chance against the rest.

I got my fill when he got destroyed by Stevenson and then was arguing with Cleverly about who had the better resume between Stevenson and Kovalev (i.e. the two guys who destroyed him and Cleverly).

There's always room for another KO for Bellew.

It'll be very satisfying to see.him completely out class bellew. Excited.to see how he does at heavyweight with his skill and speed, definitely lacks power though.

Whilst I'd like to take something from that we can't. Both have improved immeasurably and you can only compare to back then.

I think the heavyweight division is thin enough for him to make some waves. But top 5 to top 3 is a step too far imo.

he doesn't have the thundering one punch KO power of someone like wilder, ortiz, or joshua, but he does have some sting in his shots. when he plants his feet and nails guys, he hits them cleanly and precisely, and they back off. and that's the thing, every top guy in the heavyweight division looks like a staggering fool when compared to usyk. he boxes their ears off, all of them.

i do agree that he isn't likely to just take the division by storm. the power some of these guys posses is ridiculous, and we don't know how well he'll be taking shots at hw. it wouldn't shock me to see him put a boxing clinic on someone, only to be caught eventually and put away.

but it's probably too early to really talk about all that. he needs to take a fight at heavyweight and then we'll know. if he can put on quality weight, keep his speed and mobility, and his chin holds up... he'll be a serious player. he might even improve his power. but on the other hand, maybe he's as big as he can get, will only get slower and more static, and gets put to sleep the first time someone of quality connects on him. we just have no clue right now.

Stinging a cruiserweight, wont even make a HW flinch

At least when previous guys moved up, they could put a real dent in people and make them stop in their tracks, Usyk looks like a great boxer, but he is moving into a whole different world when he cant even stop/hurt cruiserweights

Yes but we've all earned the chance to see Bellew take this L and he's certainly earned it too.

I generally don’t like hating on fighters, and I do actually like his fights and fighting style, but, I want to see him clowned and/or knocked out. I just don’t see this fight happening

Stinging a cruiserweight, wont even make a HW flinch

At least when previous guys moved up, they could put a real dent in people and make them stop in their tracks, Usyk looks like a great boxer, but he is moving into a whole different world when he cant even stop/hurt cruiserweights
he does have a 70+% KO ratio, it's not like he's never stopped anyone.

i don't necessarily disagree with you, it could very well turn out that you're right. i'm just not completely convinced until i see how he makes the move.

Bellew is pretty terrible but he does come to fight at least

I enjoyed his 1st fight with cleverly. His beatdown by stevenson was funny.

Whats somewhat annoying is he beats 97 year old david haye and now considers himself some sort of boxing scribe.

So i do hope usyk ends that nonsense once and for all

Bellew is pretty terrible but he does come to fight at least

I enjoyed his 1st fight with cleverly. His beatdown by stevenson was funny.

Whats somewhat annoying is he beats 97 year old david haye and now considers himself some sort of boxing scribe.

So i do hope usyk ends that nonsense once and for all

I dont think anyone really considers him anything other than a bit part player in both the CW and HW divisions, he has a few wins on his resume, and Hearn has moved him into a position where he can retire a wealthy man, but his next fight(which will be his last) will earn him just that little bit more.

Bellew has done supremely well considering his limited skills and dodgy chin, although he has looked a lot tougher at the higher weights(he looked awful against Stevenson)

Why isnt Usyk P4P number 3 at the very least? In order I'd have Lomachenko, Crawford, and then Usyk. Why is he so underrated?

Why isnt Usyk P4P number 3 at the very least? In order I'd have Lomachenko, Crawford, and then Usyk. Why is he so underrated?
I don't think he is under rated to people who know. P4P is always subjective and cruisers and light heavy don't get as much love for some reason

Anyways Usyk vs bellew is now on for 22nd December..

War tony. I give him as much chance as rocky vs Ivan Drago.

Back