Older guys that slow down never speed back up

The only exception I can think of is Vitor and he's a special case. Older guys that slow down never come back. As a matter of fact, they always decline a bit for a few fights then WHAM they look 80 years old overnight.

Randy is the only obvious exception and he never actually slowed down. His performances never changed. He just faced different competition at HW and didn't even look slowed down when he retired at LHW.

We're thinking these last few Jones performances are flukes or that he can come back if just changes his camp or something. That's an easy mistake that newer fans always make and I made it too. Eventually, the amount of historical examples of fighters you've seen in this situation just show that it's impossible.

Sometime soon over Jones' next few fights, he won't just look like a contender or a champ that lost a close decision; he's going to get Gonzaga'd out of nowhere and then be about where Crop Cop was for the rest of his career after that. It won't be a slow, gradual decline. It will be a whammy from GOAT/ champ to can't even beat the worst guy int the division in a timespan of overnight.
OP you are 100% correct. I remember my doctor saying aging isn't the engine of the car breaking down but more like the road you're driving on becoming muddier and muddier. Makes so much sense when you apply that to fighting but replace age with wear and tear.

Say what you want about Randy but he did have the puzzle of Machida figured out before he got his teeth kicked out.

Anderson Silva never 'slowed down' until much later. It's not about age. It's about when you show a kink in your armor when you're old. Once you show it, you go down, fast... and you never come back.
His kink was multiple drug test failures and Chris Weidman.

when they get worse and start regulary losing to A fighters, they'll start fighting B fighters. when they start losing to them, its time to retire

Back