Old training video (I will probably regret this)

ssullivan80

see....what had happened was
@Brown
Reaction score
:icon_cheeI just found an old video of me training. Made this video about 1 year ago after I decided to start training again (after 2yr break). Anyhow, thought I would put it out there and take some criticism....... im sure it's coming. Either way, I will get an updated one put up this week, just got a new camera with recorder. I am hoping I look much better! I am 15pds lighter than when I made this video.

My own criticism: (so i can beat you guys to it)

sloppy switch kicks (particulary that first one)
hands a little low
chin pops up when finishing combo
that flying elbow was a fuckin disaster!!!!:icon_chee

YouTube - Muay Thai Heavy Bag

One thing I noticed is your execution speed is ok (for a big guy) but you telegraph too much, initial steps are too slow.
In other words, not very sneaky at all.

One thing I noticed is your execution speed is ok (for a big guy) but you telegraph too much, initial steps are too slow.
In other words, not very sneaky at all.

Hmmmmm. Thanks! I will put up an updated video this week, see if that is still the case. Not to make excuses...... but this was at the end of a long workout! Still, I see what your saying, appreciate the advice!

I have a question...can that really be called a HEAVY bag? I train on one like yours (but it's a red wavemaster) too as I don't have access to the real deal, but I thought a bag wasn't a "heavy" bag unless it had one of those rough canvas surfaces and was filled with sand (or at least you know the kind of bag I'm talking about, different from the ones we train on)

Also, you're flatfooted in there, could be the reason you're not as smooth.

your punches are pretty clean for someone who doesnt train hands.

I was looking at your left hook and it was quite good but for some reason it looked like an arm punch. But it really was an arm punch. Cause you dont pivot your lead foot when you hook.

Visualize yourself stepping out a cigarette. You pivot your toes in and your heel goes out. That where the weight of the hook is.

If you dont pivot your lead foot, the hook is reduced to a mere shoulder and arm punch..and those are weak.

but yeah, do what i said and your hook should be like a million times stronger.

I have a question...can that really be called a HEAVY bag? I train on one like yours (but it's a red wavemaster) too as I don't have access to the real deal, but I thought a bag wasn't a "heavy" bag unless it had one of those rough canvas surfaces and was filled with sand (or at least you know the kind of bag I'm talking about, different from the ones we train on)

I assume it would be called a heavbag. Either way, it's a piece of shit! I replaced it shortly after I made this video (yr ago) and got a hanging bag. However, we just listed our house for sale so my wife made me take down the hanging and back to the ole xxl for a couple of weeks....... hate that damn thing!

your punches are pretty clean for someone who doesnt train hands.

I was looking at your left hook and it was quite good but for some reason it looked like an arm punch. But it really was an arm punch. Cause you dont pivot your lead foot when you hook.

Visualize yourself stepping out a cigarette. You pivot your toes in and your heel goes out. That where the weight of the hook is.

If you dont pivot your lead foot, the hook is reduced to a mere shoulder and arm punch..and those are weak.

but yeah, do what i said and your hook should be like a million times stronger.

Thanks! your right, i am not turning over that left hook enough. When I throw double left hook i tend to kinda slap with the first one (distraction) and power through the second. For me it keep's the combo a little quicker.......

Also maybe you need to keep your guard tighter after youve thrown the hook (mistake i make that got pointed out to me on monday so tryian correct it.)

Franky you're loads better than me so that is all :D lol.

Also maybe you need to keep your guard tighter after youve thrown the hook (mistake i make that got pointed out to me on monday so tryian correct it.)

Franky you're loads better than me so that is all :D lol.

good point.... it get countered quite a bit off my hook, good observation thanx!

I appreciate, just takes practice.....! You'll get there!

P.S: I posted an updated thread with a newer video!

If you rotated around the bag more it might help your kicks flow better. Though I know you wanted to stay in front the camera.

If you rotated around the bag more it might help your kicks flow better. Though I know you wanted to stay in front the camera.

I usually do..... however, it is easy for me to rotate right and throw switch kicks but I always feel so goofy when I rotate left and kick with my rear leg..... dont know why. Just always seems to be a weak kick and puts me out of position for striking. Thanks!

good point.... it get countered quite a bit off my hook, good observation thanx!

I appreciate, just takes practice.....! You'll get there!

P.S: I posted an updated thread with a newer video!

Yea u no private trainin helps bare. llol. :icon_chee Didn't rewatch the vid but from what I rmeember i think the inital action of the hook was good, (throw elbow tight and high), cos i remember your shoulder protectin your face, its jus as soon as you've thrown it lock the glove bk to your face so you hav some sort of guard to return to standing with. Ill find n chek out your newer vid bro.

Yea u no private trainin helps bare. llol. :icon_chee Didn't rewatch the vid but from what I rmeember i think the inital action of the hook was good, (throw elbow tight and high), cos i remember your shoulder protectin your face, its jus as soon as you've thrown it lock the glove bk to your face so you hav some sort of guard to return to standing with. Ill find n chek out your newer vid bro.

Yeah it does! I don't have much trouble getting countered off my left hook, just my right (power hand). I tend to over commit it a little bit, especially when I throw it high. I need to shorten it up and like you said get it higher and tighter. Thanks man! And I had to remove the older video, a guy in my office found the link............ newer one is still up.

Back