old time sherrdoggers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the answer to this problem, some of the best threads I have read were done by whitebelts with a recent join date. They were long time fans who just didn't feel the need to post or join. Some of the worst posts I have ever seen have been by people with high post counts and older join dates (wasn't that Diego vs Wanderlie thread started by someone like that?). Anyway, hi5 for an oldschooler.

Summoner10 said:
For someone whos been here as long as you have, this thread unfortunately quite laughable and stupid.

You want your own private forum so you and your fellow snobs and sit around talk the same nonsense we talk about out here? Get real.

+1
Everyone keeps spouting the same redunant nonsense, "Sherdog is going downhill, don't let white belts start threads." Well how many guys have you seen here that post whore like crazy for a couple months just to get an avatar, then go around calling people white belts and other crap to justify there own noobish biases; usually towards an organization UFC/PRIDE.

When it comes to bickering about Pride vs. UFC, or white belts vs. postwhores, I promise you I have heard it all before and you don't need to pander to my old school internet dorkness to get me on your side.
Here I thought that this thread was actually going to talk about the oldschool mma forums, geocities, the old Underground, where everyone posting thinks they hit as hard as Mike Tyson(SamPaiKempo). People used to get in such serious arguements that one would offer to fly the other to his city and gym and fight it out.
10% of all threads had "Rickson" somewhere in their title.
Every hypothetical match boiled down to "Rickson by armbar."
Remember when the wasteland was called NEWBIETOWN?

Wow, it really is hard to talk about the old forums without sounding like a snob.

It's easy not to open threads you don't like. And it's also easy to flip through the first few pages if you don't like what you see.

It'll never happen but I totally agree posters should wait a yr for thread starting privileges.

Boards are way too congested with crap threads. Like "you gotta check out this UFC Phat critic" or "Chuck is p4p the best ever in da whole wide world"

_1 for old skoll too, i spent 2 years reading before i signed up, this is my 3rd or 4th account, an a/c had for over a year got IP banned for no reason in 2005

ncolby10 said:
First let me state that i am very pleased to see this page so popular and that i love new MMA fans i am no snob that things this sport is not cool now that everyone likes it. However sherdog has become flamedog or spampostdog. i have used sherdog exclusively for mma news since before my 2002 sign up date and love the place immensely i was here when the people logged in numbered in the tens on in the hundreds and i dont see any of the names i used to see. I like some of the new people alot juggo comes to mind love the hlights and the person with the third person one i dont remember their name but god additions. However i used to be able to enter the forum and see interesting news or rumors close to being fact now all i see are the (insert legend here), how would he d against chuck liddel or another modern fighter. I am proposing that sherdog not allow a thread from someone who has not been here a year display on the front page. I would also love to see a forum for persons who have been here longer too because i would love to see some posts from people who have probably stopped posting because its a waste of time. PLease do not reply im new and im cool, im sure you are i dont mean you i mean the new people who ruin it for you and me both. For all you tools with the 500 posts in three months and the other post whores who add nothing to this place please enter an amatuer mma event and dont tap when you get choked out go to sleep FOREVER please!

I never really posted on a thread longer than a few pages but hopefully someone will read what I have to say.

I can't be 100% sure that the boards where better back in like 02' when I was just browsing or 03'-04' when I actually posted. I think it is a matter of perception of what threads used to be like. Because my memory tells me that the thread quality was much better than it is today. But logically, I'm thinking it is the numbers and the popularity increasing. And I think we all know that the more crowded things get, the more posts and threads get bumped. People will never see what has or hasn't been written yet because they are constantly being bumped by other threads, and even with a search, the fact that so many threads are being made, search usually don't come up with anything, and thus someone makes a similar thead and so on.

Other possibly factors of "immaturity" on the boards in the growth in the popularity of the UFC. And I remember back in 02', Pride was slowly "taking over". This was before Crocop's reign of terror, and Fedor was unknown. Infact, I think Nog was just recently crowned the heavyweight champ. At that time, the UFC HWs still had quite a competitive division. Fast forward a couple years, and there has been this HUGE SPLIT between UFC and Pride. UFC's popularity (Dana White must have been doing something right!) growing with the spike TV deal and TUF. They are marketing their UFC fighters better. And Pride with their Bushido shows with the lighter fighters. The ww category has just been introduced. There is now like 2 GP a year in Pride.

Not to continue babbling but look at the evolution of the TKO brand, and new MMA leagues across Canada. And across the world, CR, ROTR, WFA, Strikeforce, K-1 mma, IFL... the shows are rapidly expanding and the number just continue to increase. The numbers are just there and I think it is inevitable to simply have more "opinions" towards MMA.

As for the suggestion from these threads, as much as I would like to regulate the threads so people can actually have the chance to have a proper discussion. But now that I look at it, the overabundance of "crap" in these boards tells us something, of the growth of this sport. Maybe I'm just speaking optimisitcally, but instead of going on the message boards to talk MMA, it will soon be that other person in your local area where you can have all the talk you want. And in terms of INFO, sherdog's main page, the various MMA sites, and even the forums will always have the important info posted up that will NOT be bumped because people will always have a reaction to the big things. (ie. Saku's medical condition, RIP to Shelby Walker, Joe Riggs and his family etc.)

Last thing to say, this thread was refreshing because I was surprised to see so many old sherdoggers on this thread! Peace

JB_likes_mma said:
A lot of them say, "I post at work. I'm getting paid to post." I'm not impressed by their wasting of their company's money.

I have Sherdog up at work in the background. Most days.. I still dont feel the need to post in EVERY single thread to advance my belt.

I have been here for around 3 years. reading and getting most of my news and Scoops from here. I do agree that whitebelts shouldnt get to start any threads. Perhaps start THreadstarting at orange belt?

That way it may give the new White belts a chance to learn.

Then again. Somebody said that some of the best posts have been started on here by white belts. New to the game with Genuine, honest questions..

Maybe a white belt section? I dunnno! Good luck with how it turns out though!

1anddone said:
Even though the date that I signed up for the forums is more recent, I have been here for a while without ever making a name or posting. I agree with you 100% about who would win, and the other threads like it, which are all listed in the FAQ thread that all new members are supposed to read, but I am sure do not. I think people like this should be yellow carded and then banned, and banned over and over without mercy untill they can act like adults. I admit to flipping out on here from time to time, but you;ve seen the same posts I have. Its hard. I also think that people who start, BJ would have one but... threads or anything like it, that aren't the first or third person to do it, considering they all may be made at the same time following a fight, should be banned.

same here, I've been kinda lurking in the shadows for a long time. I pretty much just came to the site in search of highlights, which they don't seem to have anymore. I don't think I even knew there was a forum until about a year ago. I used to watch it when it was on tv with my dad but It got banned here. Just kinda rented vhs tapes from blockbuster there on out. I went to high school with phil baroni's brother, pat, and he got me back into it about 5 years ago.

What is the worst part about the new breed of good and bad mma fans and their spam posting is that BAS and a number of other fighers used to post here all the time. No one really can dispute why they wouldnt want to now: IE with all the fighter and org bashing BAS would be told to "kill himself" and stuff like that or "which is better pride or ufc". I remember when he posted here about leaving Pride and when Bas's little sister posted here and everyone drooled over her. With the current state of the forums they will return no time soon and thats definetly not worth the new 60 fedor threads, Ill take the fighters imput themselves any time...

that bas' lil sis thread that went on for pages and pages amused me. was a very long time ago, not the cussing "de lucia was it?" thread, i think this one was one of her first and her prooving she was BAS' staff

Even though I've been here longer than most, I must say that the old school folks use to be pretty mean spirited and rather unintelligent as well. The good thing about Sherdog back then was that the place was small enough so that you could remember which person was an ass and which were contributors.

Personally, I would like to see a Reputation system where you get props from fellow Sherdogger for posting something good. I think that's a much more reliable way of weeding out the trolls of Sherdog Society because post count and join date just don't cut it. Just a suggestion.

i think the reputation is fine but you should not be able to affect someones rep until you have been here for a time period otherwise people will create accounts to boost themselves etc. I like the ideas we are gathering hope some of them are considered and this place cleans up SO FIGHTERS AND PEOPLE CLOSER TO THEM WILL POST LIKE THEY USED TO. Because as of now why would they because they are just fighter bashed if i knew _insert name_ and i said hes going to fight .... all the response would be that the fighter i knew sucks etc that i should kill myself etc who would bother in that situation. There is a lot of actual fighter and MMA info/news thats not getting here or isnt here first like it used to be because of these clowns. THATS THE POINT NOT DONT READ IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT CRAP

I think sherdog should stop banning people without giving a reason... this white belt fucking sucks.

ncolby10 said:
First let me state that i am very pleased to see this page so popular and that i love new MMA fans i am no snob that things this sport is not cool now that everyone likes it. However sherdog has become flamedog or spampostdog. i have used sherdog exclusively for mma news since before my 2002 sign up date and love the place immensely i was here when the people logged in numbered in the tens on in the hundreds and i dont see any of the names i used to see. I like some of the new people alot juggo comes to mind love the hlights and the person with the third person one i dont remember their name but god additions. However i used to be able to enter the forum and see interesting news or rumors close to being fact now all i see are the (insert legend here), how would he d against chuck liddel or another modern fighter. I am proposing that sherdog not allow a thread from someone who has not been here a year display on the front page. I would also love to see a forum for persons who have been here longer too because i would love to see some posts from people who have probably stopped posting because its a waste of time. PLease do not reply im new and im cool, im sure you are i dont mean you i mean the new people who ruin it for you and me both. For all you tools with the 500 posts in three months and the other post whores who add nothing to this place please enter an amatuer mma event and dont tap when you get choked out go to sleep FOREVER please!

Very good thread. I admit that I have commented on some stupid topics but all this "I know how to beat Chuck" really gets old. I'm totaly with the threadstarter on this.

Masamune79 said:
Even though I've been here longer than most, I must say that the old school folks use to be pretty mean spirited and rather unintelligent as well.

Bingo!

In the six years, I've been visiting Sherdog, I don't ever remember a time when I thought people weren't mean and unintelligent in the forums, overall. It's just always easier to say "it was better in the old days".

SpacePotato said:
He has as much right to suggest ways to improve the forum as you do to make it worse with mean-spirited, confrontational posting that no one really enjoys reading.

He does not suggest true improvments, only limiting people who havent been here since he's been and trying to create some sort of old mans Sherdog club. This is a free forum to be used by the public. A member can post how they see hit. If they step out of line and break a rule they get banned or flagged. It is real simple. What he's asking for is elitism, not improvments Thats what makes this thread so ridiculous. What makes him smarter an more worthy of voicing his opinion than someone who joins a month ago? Absolutly nothing beyond a little number in his profile.

I've been logged on since January, 2001 (when the forums consisted of the all black background), but I was banned once for talking about fights results with no spoilers. I have seen good posts and bad posts coming from old and new fans alike, but all in all I am very proud to be an MMA fan because this is the greatest sport in my opinion. I am very happy with the way that MMA has been growing not only here in the US, but all around the world. So, I would like to thank sherdog.com for allowing us the MMA fans to speak our minds and our opinions, MMA would be a lot less interesting without sites like this.

It would be a disservice to us all if the old-timers stopped posting. Don't be mistaken by the number of post counts. I've been a member a year an have a thousand posts but, it only breaks down to about three per day. I am a big fan of mma and like logging on after work to find out any ground breaking news or pass time. I love the members-only "at the gym" videos and I have read great threads by 05 and 06 members . In fact, a lot of these younger kids without jobs or who are still in school sometimes find out a lot of info before us because they have so much time on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back