Old School Muay thai with Apidej. Looks alot different from modern muay thai

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score

seems like a very different style than what I am used to seeing. Any thoughts?

seems like a very different style than what I am used to seeing. Any thoughts?

I'm about 2:30 into this fight and I'm already quite a bit more entertained by it than the average Muay Thai match I've seen.

Tons of muay thai fights that end in round 1,2.

70% of thai fighters use hand combinations not different from him.

Watch other clips he fought before saying it is his style.

I've seen a few old clips and they were all more like this not every one as aggressive but more than modern MT. Even MT that isn't as old but older is more like this and the slow paced kick for kick fighting seems to be a more modern developement.

It's actually more entertaining and in terms of aggression more like Dutch kickboxing. I think leg techniques weren't as strongly scored over hands back then so I like it more

I'm no MT expert at all but in pretty much all the older fights I've seen it pretty much seem like this. Even Dieselnoi in the few clips there are of him is much more aggressive with his clinching than modern fighters

Even crazier is that footage from the 1920s.
Muay Boran, by and large, looks nothing like stadium MT today. The regional variations also were totally distinct from each other. They also had a lot of grappling, throwing, and submission elements. Muay Chaiya, for instance, had a much more refined blocking style similar to 'crazy monkey' today. It's much better for small/no gloves than traditional MT.

Back