"old school" moves/tactics

Pak sao, parrying, trapping it's a lost art in the boxing world. I learned in in Wing Tsun but boxers of old utilize this technique such as Willie Pep of course it wasn't called that for them but its definitely rare.

Another move I picked up through observation of a fighter and through training wrestling was the shoulder thrust. On the inside I would gut guys with my shoulder and jam it in their chest to create space or stop a counter.

hmmm...my coach told me about this once but he also said it took ages. I'll give it another go in sparring after new year's but won't advise it in a 3 round amateur match lol.

This a far more effective tactic when you are using thin gloves or no gloves. 14 and 16 ounce gloves reduce the impact penetration enough to make it take longer.

This a far more effective tactic when you are using thin gloves or no gloves. 14 and 16 ounce gloves reduce the impact penetration enough to make it take longer.

Somebody like Marciano could do it with bigger gloves. Others try without the same effect. Us mere mortals who don't hit with impact of a small car crash need something more akin to bare knuckles to hurt a guy punching the arms and shoulders.

Pak sao, parrying, trapping it's a lost art in the boxing world. I learned in in Wing Tsun but boxers of old utilize this technique such as Willie Pep of course it wasn't called that for them but its definitely rare.

I love trapping. We call it "adhering", if you learnt it from Wing Chun you may have heard it called "sticky hands" though i'm sure there are better names.

The best people to use it on are those who throw looping hooks. You get inside and "stick" just around the crook of the elbow and you can control that arm, either to open for counters or to come in to grappling range.

For those saying about the "tricep punch" not being that effective with larger gloves, depends where you hit. if you get the nerve or a joint, it'll hurt. But kicks are far more likely to succeed.

A good roundhouse to the side of the arm or a front kick underneath will do some harm.

Hey that rhymes :D

I think the Willie Pep style grab-and-spin is underutilized these days, too.

Belcher could have used something like that against Okami to keep his back off the fence.

Amateurs fight with 10oz gloves.

I think the Willie Pep style grab-and-spin is underutilized these days, too.

Belcher could have used something like that against Okami to keep his back off the fence.

That's because it IS hard to do .....either in Willie's time or ours.

That's because it IS hard to do .....either in Willie's time or ours.

Maybe so, but a form of this could be adapted for MMA use, especially against those who come in heavy on the front foot/off balance.

Leonard Garcia would get turned into a dreidel/spinning top right before our eyes :)

That spinning is definitely taught to MMA fighters; it's Muay Thai 101. It's hard to execute in the cage because people are usually fighting in a wrestling type stance and are fully aware that you're going to grapple them at that range. Every fighter is competent at spinning off the cage to reverse position (except maybe Mir), but people like A. Silva uses the MT clinch to keep opponents off balance.

Maybe so, but a form of this could be adapted for MMA use, especially against those who come in heavy on the front foot/off balance.
:)

TD defense is probably the primary reason why u don't see it in mma.
That and the fact that there are higher percentage moves available to a mma fighter (inside low kick or TD under those swinging punches which is essentially the same concept)
Also , with mma being fought in a cage , there's less use for said move.

TD defense is probably the primary reason why u don't see it in mma.
That and the fact that there are higher percentage moves available to a mma fighter (inside low kick or TD under those swinging punches which is essentially the same concept)
Also , with mma being fought in a cage , there's less use for said move.

Actually I disagree with this notion. I believe this move would be even more effective in mma. When you turn or spin someone what is the thing that happens majority of the time? You are in their blind side, perfect for attacking. MMA is notorious for fights getting stop via flash knock downs this definitely allows for it.

I don't think u understood or , more likely , pictured the responses.

You do realize your premises is strictly based off the notion that the move is a low percentage move. The move or a form of it happens quite frequently in mma with takedown defense. But it's not used in the striking aspect more than likely because its not commonly taught.

All laughs aside on a serious note, I urge anyone to try spin your opponent. It's not crazy to think it works that's like saying the whizzer doesn't work. You have to know how to position yourself correctly like you would a body shot. I'm interested in hearing if anyone else has tried this.

I think i DID managed to pull off a kind of move like this. It was more of take the opponent's back rather than a real grab n spin but i think if i train in it i can pull it off from that position. There's a part in me vs the douchebag where he was ragdolling me around the clinch and i managed to ride his momentum to move underneath his armpit to his back. Now just a tiny bit of push from behind then it could easily be Willie Pep grab n spin.

It doesn't necessary have to be a grab and spin but you can reach their blind spot with it. When a opponent turns their back on you it's kind of illegal but if you cut the angle away from their spine and throw punches you should be fine.

Another point to mention is when you do this to an opponent it does make you look like you're in control of the fight. The judges will take note of that.

Now i know i'm not supposed to try this, but goddamn i'm gonna try to pull off a Willie Pep style back take next time i'm sparring.

All laughs aside on a serious note, I urge anyone to try spin your opponent. It's not crazy to think it works that's like saying the whizzer doesn't work. You have to know how to position yourself correctly like you would a body shot. I'm interested in hearing if anyone else has tried this.

I've managed to use the arm drag to effect once. As i've forgotten alot of wrestling and the set ups needed to make these moves work, i usually just try to force alot of them which, if anyone has ever grappled knows, of course never works. I mentioned in other threads before though, Peps trainers or Pep himself must have been pretty good wrestlers for him to be pulling that stuff off with such consistency.

On topic though, Kabuki has mentioned it that boxers of old use to supplement their boxing with wrestling. I recently read in an article that Pernell Whitakers strength and conditioning coach used to be a wrestler and would often wrestle with Pernell to work on his clinch game. They also incorporated greco roman wrestling sessions into their workouts. Now that's taking something from the old school proper. I've never once heard of this being incorporated into a boxers training (even though i know its perfectly viable) So i found it very peculiar and interesting. You learn something new everyday.

Back