old school guys rolling (vids)

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I'm going to post vids in this thread every time I see one that I feel I can learn something from.

[YT]VHNMt9fKlYU[/YT]

[YT]vqDwWfgOeoc[/YT]

[YT]ALqG2e5N5Zc[/YT]

[YT]37t-oBr7BNk[/YT]

I never realized until now how similar the things I like to do are to Carlos Machado's style in these vids. I think I could especially learn a lot from these.

[YT]RZQJapBDqhY[/YT]

[YT]ecw63kJQ2QA[/YT]

[YT]T_5PH75KHVs[/YT]

That video of Liborio is VERY impressive. Basic game and flawless technique. I have already watched it a few times. The clips of Carlos Machado are great as well. he's so smooth

That video of Liborio is VERY impressive. Basic game and flawless technique. I have already watched it a few times. The clips of Carlos Machado are great as well. he's so smooth

The Liborio vid is what prompted me to create this thread.

I'm learning a lot from smooth and basic right now, especially the old school guy's ability to disrupt their opponent's balance without seeming to do anything. Unreal.

interesting guard retention here

[YT]w1kLYq2noc8[/YT]

Some nice movement and escapes here

[YT]hVU9PFmL9U8[/YT]

[YT]bMaKjOnaWA8[/YT]

[YT]BmigJ9oDaRw[/YT]

[YT]Z0C4nNg5_wA[/YT]

[YT]g9K01x1yqHM[/YT]

Some fantastic invisible jiu-jitsu stuff wiht Pedro.

[YT]ax4PR_gn0Jk[/YT]

[YT]fRjWkO3hXNM[/YT]

[YT]UUyFTCTFW7E[/YT]

[YT]1_MZN4roMjA[/YT]

[YT]4vmzA7_G-Y0[/YT]

[YT]4Sg5l3VDh4I[/YT]

[YT]pkyR7yJ2eso[/YT]

[YT]xbgSRmBk_hg[/YT]

[YT]X9JYU9ub9Dw[/YT]

[YT]29dK0gwRRek[/YT]

So now I know that a bunch of old, overweight guys using "old fashioned" BJJ could completely whup me. Greeeaaatt. Just what I needed. Haha. Awesome bunch of videos.

This is great stuff, but whenever I see an old legend roll with a younger guy with significant competitions wins, and the young guy looks like he just can't do anything, I'm always like "Cmon, really?" I'd like to believe that it's legit, but can't. And then it makes the roll less interesting because it feels like charity.

By the way I don't mean to say that's what is happening in each of these videos.

Last edited:
This is some mind-blowing stuff, cheers.

Renzo does some interesting stuff to pass the butterfly guard. Never seen a shoulder-pressure version of hopping over the legs.

This is great stuff, but whenever I see an old legend roll with a younger guy with significant competitions wins, and the young guy looks like he just can't do anything, I'm always like "Cmon, really?" I'd like to believe that it's legit, but can't. And then it makes the roll less interesting because it feels like charity.

By the way I don't mean to say that's what is happening in each of these videos.

On the UG BJJground, one of the pros talks about Liborio destroying him. Fascinating thread.

Even if these are charity rolls, it's the movement I want to see. I learn so much about how limited my own movement is, but I feel their games are more applicable to me than these new inverting/berimbolo/fiftyfifty guys.

Back