Old school fans: how did you follow the sport back in the day?

TankAbbott4Eva

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I made a comment in the Shogun and Fedor thread about how hard it must have been to follow the sport back in the day, probably especially in the "dark ages" when the UFC didn't have PPVs available on cable (I believe this happened pre-Zuffa?)

I started following late 2000s so by then torrents were available, then they started showing a lot more free content on cable and there were lots of "other" ways to watch events so i've been spoiled.

Anyway tell us your war stories. One dude whose name escapes me was saying he got a Pride event ruined by a commentator at a UFC event, though there was a 1 year (!) propagation delay in the event and him getting to watch it!

MMA underground forums was big and also kickboxing gyms had folks who were in to the MMA or NHB and they knew how and who to follow since grapplers went to kickboxing gyms for striking and clinch work.

Most MMA fighters were grapplers since Kickboxing and boxing were way more popular than MMA and so no need for a striker to fight in MMA. Most kickboxers fought MMA on the side like Cro Cop who were mainly K-1 fighters.

Also places that use to sell DVDs did sell MMA tapes and it was not considered sport but same shit jackass or dangerous stunts.

Last edited:
blockbuster lol
Yup, haha.
I had seen some of the early events on PPV, but by the time UFC was in the XVIII range (late 90's, remember the roman numeral era?), I had no idea how to keep up with anything other than seeing the latest release at Blockbuster, which was several months after the event had taken place.
Good times, lol.

there used to be this program where you could watch live streaming Pride events. forget what it was called.

Before TUF? Before Youtube?

Blockbuster.
Ordering PPVs.
Buying DVDs.
Buying Magazines (if you could find them)
Sherdog.
Watching Japan events at 3 in the morning or on tape delay.
Sometimes Subfighter.com would post highlights or full fights if they were short enough.

You had to be dedicated. A casual could not survive.

I dont ever recall Pride being shown in bars.
Not sayin they didnt,but I never remember that happening. Even UFC wasnt shown in bars until the TUF boom.
Sorry, but you're wrong. Scores on St. Laurent in Montreal had UFC very early on, but only on the last floor. UFC 11 or 12 was the first event I saw live at that place.

First Pride event was the 2000 Grand Prix. They only advertised with an 8 by 11 poster. Most people were there for NCAA hockey. Only one of my friends saw Royce vs Saku. The rest of us were too busy getting drunk and filled with food at the Ouzeri (great Greek restaurant). My friend: "It's nuts. He tried to jump on his face." What?!?!

We also missed the Coleman fight. We only had one screen on the floor with Pride. The Smashing Machine comes into the ring and he's fighting a Japanese guy. We're so happy. He's going to crush that nobody. Then Kerr gets kneed 50 thousand times in the rib by Fujita and we realize we know nothing.

The hockey games are over and we get more screens. Some people are about to leave, but they start to get into the violence. We watched the rest of the event and we're all hooked. Crazy evening. Memories are made.

I started with UFC 1 at a bud's house in 94 or 95, his dad bought the PPV and just videotaped it like any normal person. First I went out of my way to watch was UFC 6, rented from Blockbuster in 1996. This Blockbuster had a respectable selection, having basically every UFC and also Pancrase, Extreme Fighting, some others, on VHS. By the 2000's you could find all kinds of shit on DVD, just go into Sam Goody and there was all kinds of obscure shit put into four packs waiting to be purchased for $5. Shit was around, you just had to look for it.

Back