Old Movies And Racism

Why is this question just asked of blacks? Jerry Lewis movies, The Carol Burnet show and many others used to make fun of Asians all the time and nobody seemed to care.

I just asked about the experience of blacks as an example. But im curious about everyone's experience.

I'm black, and no it doesn't bother me. I'm not too fond of those older movies anyway, but I can watch the 1930s King Kong and other sci-fi movies from then and think nothing of it.

Okay thanks. That's a great point. I can't stand Mel Gibson now, but still love some of his old films.

But here is another interesting example. Paula Dean drops the N Bomb and loses her show and they don't even play reruns, and if they did I probably wouldn't watch even if I was into fried mayo recipes. But I assume that most white actors were dropping N Bombs pre 1960s.

I suppose we forgive because that was the time and context?

a friend and I were just having a similar conversation the other day and he mentioned one.

I do not recall the name of the movie but it has the guy who played Anakis Finch in To Kill A Mocking Bird calling a dog. The dog's name is a black racist slur.

I laughed, imagining the dog's actual name is "a black racist slur". I had a friend who named his pet fish, n****r. A black acquaintance stopped by one day and I told him to ask my friend what his fish is named. He asked, my friend answered, and the guy just kind of smirked and shook his head. I was expecting a different reaction since neither of us were close to this guy but I guess since we were friends with his brother, that made it okay to say n****r. Personally, I always let the person of colour take the lead when it comes to that word. If he starts saying it first, that's my green light to start quoting NWA lyrics.

Why is this question just asked of blacks? Jerry Lewis movies, The Carol Burnet show and many others used to make fun of Asians all the time and nobody seemed to care.

I find there's still a whole lot of obnoxious stereotyping of south/east Asians in film.

I just asked about the experience of blacks as an example. But im curious about everyone's experience.

Okay thanks. That's a great point. I can't stand Mel Gibson now, but still love some of his old films.

But here is another interesting example. Paula Dean drops the N Bomb and loses her show and they don't even play reruns, and if they did I probably wouldn't watch even if I was into fried mayo recipes. But I assume that most white actors were dropping N Bombs pre 1960s.

I suppose we forgive because that was the time and context?
The funny thing about the Paula Dean thing is black people weren't the ones tripping on the whole. Nobody was protesting, I didn't hear shit about it at the barbershop. It was a knee-jerk reaction from Tmz and her sponsers but really it wasn't even an issue in the black community. Even Al Sharpton's bitch ass was like"leave that white lady alone".

Ye movies have changed I hardly ever hear the n word in movies but I hear everything imaginable to put down whites. You can be damn sure if the n word or any racial put down was used against blacks people like spike lee would be all over it. Havnt heard any whites complain about racism against them in movies tho I guess whites just have thicker skin and dont think the worlds going to end when someone puts them down

Ye movies have changed I hardly ever hear the n word in movies but I hear everything imaginable to put down whites. You can be damn sure if the n word or any racial put down was used against blacks people like spike lee would be all over it. Havnt heard any whites complain about racism against them in movies tho I guess whites just have thicker skin and dont think the worlds going to end when someone puts them down

Any examples of "everything imaginable to put down whites"?

Any examples of "everything imaginable to put down whites"?
Cracker, honky, white trash,ghost face,inbred hillbilly the list goes on and on but dont hear many people complaining about it cause I guess white people just dont cry and whine every time someone says something bad about them. Never hear Asians complain either and they get all kinds of shit on them in movies.

Because racism against asians doesn't exist, asians can only be racist against other races, not the other way around. Didn't you read the manual?

I find there's still a whole lot of obnoxious stereotyping of south/east Asians in film.

For the last time man, there is NO RACISM AGAINST ASIANS, its not possible. It's not racism, its an American pastime like Baseball and apple pie. How can it be possible to be racist to unfeeling robots who all look the same?

When I go to watch movies, I try to leave the actors' personal views out of it, and focus on the characters they portray. Errol Flynn was a straight up sexual predator, but that doesn't mean his swashbuckling characters aren't cool.

Also, it's ignorant to assume that most of the actors back then were automatically racist, simply based on the times. Gotta remember, Hollyood and CA in general were always well ahead of the bell curve on social issues, even pre 60s.

a friend and I were just having a similar conversation the other day and he mentioned one.

I do not recall the name of the movie but it has the guy who played Anakis Finch in To Kill A Mocking Bird calling a dog. The dog's name is a black racist slur.
I was at my friend's house for a bit after Christmas and he was telling us all the names his grandparents used to give their dogs and they were all racial slurs. And its not like he was telling us this as some reminder of the dark past, the guy is racist as all hell.
Breakfast at Tiffany's is a good example as well. I saw the movie on Netflix some time ago and I wasn't expecting to like it too much. I figured the humor was going to be dated but boy was I wrong, the movie was excellent. Really funny and the cinematography was amazing.

The one dated aspect was the racist Japanese stereotype. Just too over the top and racist, to the point of being uncomfortable to watch at times and a real buzz kill.
Cracker, honky, white trash,ghost face,inbred hillbilly the list goes on and on but dont hear many people complaining about it cause I guess white people just dont cry and whine every time someone says something bad about them. Never hear Asians complain either and they get all kinds of shit on them in movies.
I have never heard anyone, whether in person or on film, call someone else ghost face. I rarely ever hear any of the rest of those slurs, certainly not on TV or in film. There's a lot of white guilt stuff but you're exaggerating here.

"I have seen shit that'll turn you white!"

Is that racist?

I could swear I posted a youtube link in here but it must have been deleted, which is incredibly odd seeing as it completely related to the thread :confused:

Anyway, a prime example is 'The Dambusters' where the dog in the film is called 'Ni**er'.
It's repeatedly called that name in the film, a classic film too.

I love classic cinema....its history, and racism was a part of history...but tons of black film makers today make movies with poor white stereotypical characters and I still enjoy them as well.

Always appreciated Warner Bros approach to situations like this.

warner-bros-disclaimer1.jpg

Ok, so examples of movies like this? I haven't really seen many movies where white characters get called crackers or any of that other stuff, and certainly not where the character saying it is potrayed like a good guy. Definitely not any more than I've seen movies where black characters are referred to as :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s. As far as white people not whining, aren't pretty much all your posts whining about black people in some way or another?

Back