Old kickers. How long did you keep your kicks sharp?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Frode Falch, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Just wondering. I am 41 years now. And i hear many says that kicking is a young mans game.

For any of you older then that.. how long did your kicks feel... "Right"?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. What does "no" stand for

3. Paradigm Gold Belt

Turning 43 this year...wondering how long I can keep kicking near my peak. Thinking until at least 50 with good stretching, exercise and no injuries.

Now? Lol

4. ConorFacts Banned Banned

if you stay in shape ... maybe 50-60.

my uncle is 58 y/o old and he can still compete with much younger guys (soccer).

5. ARIZE Blue Belt

I see a decline of explosiveness in the late rounds. I can't go full 5 rounds filling the room with kicks anymore. (but still a bit younger than you)

6. MisterHappy Yellow Belt

From a technique perspective you've still got many good years ahead if you continue to train and diet well. You'll get more nagging injuries and ailments but as long as you can train (and adjust training as needed) your technique and power will be there (or improve). From a reaction time/sparring standpoint... the news isn't as good. For me, I take aging as an incentive to improve in areas where I hadn't previously focused. Rather than go more athleticism and speed in competitive sparring rounds I now use technique and psychology a lot more. I have a good idea what my opponent knows and how they think (generally) based on their age and have started using that to my advantage. I'm also not an ego sparrer and don't feel the need "to win" sparring rounds which I think helps. We have a few older guys similar to myself in our gym who aren't of that mindset and it's not so pretty at times. If you love it, keep training until you just can't anymore is my motto. I'm hoping that's a long time from now.

7. Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

53 years

8. Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Kinda relevant

9. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    that thumbnail makes me so mad.

FWIW tho, my coach is 55 now. He's adopted a technique where he takes his foot off the floor before he actually turns his body for the kick when he's kicking the bag - keeps him rotating properly through the kick.

10. Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Thats the dutch way right?

11. biscuitsbrah Red Belt

I feel like this mostly applies to old fighters who have injured their ankles and feet too much in fights

12. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    Nah, it's a thai thing. It's not like he chambers the kick - he just takes his foot like an inch off the ground, pauses, then turns his upper body up, and then when he kicks in sparring, he throws normal kicks

13. Lucas Coradini Blue Belt Professional Fighter

14. sweetviolenturg Silver Belt Professional Fighter

I'm in my 50s & all I have left are kicks below waist level. But, I've been involved in martial arts & combat sports since I was 13 so I've been through a lot of injuries. A blown-out knee ended my kickboxing career after one pro fight. Then after it was reconstructed my other knee began to go & I eventually needed surgery on it. Now my hip flexors are half-shot & I can only really blast leg kicks anymore.
    So, take care of yourself & be smart with what you do. I was pretty reckless with my training & ignored small injuries until they became big ones.
    Best of luck.

15. Hotora86 #StayTheFuckHome #FlattenTheCurve #WashYourHands

Funny because I just went to the doc last week because of some foot pain... got an MRI... broken toe. :D Can't kick anymore. :p

16. Tayski Stand-up Fighting

The problem with age is keeping the flexibility. Most senior ex fighters I've sparred with cannot head kick anymore so they stick to low kicks and some middle kicks here and there. I think stretching on a daily basis can really help with reducing flexibility loss as one gets older.

17. Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

I dont really think flexibility goes away of you keep stretching.

18. Boxing_paloney Orange Belt

Those Bill Wallace seminars he did show that if you keep up your stretching routine and keep practicing your legs will look scary for a long time. This isn't that but not bad for a seventy year old guy:

19. Normot Brown Belt

I can still throw kicks just fine. I just don't train them very much because it kills my hips and hurts to live the next few days after a lot of kicking.

20. shincheckin Black Belt

if you take care of your body, i think you can be in nearly as good shape in your early and mid 40s, as your 30s. Once get up to 50, i dunno. the saying goes, i aint as good as i once was, but im as good once, as i ever was