Old Guard Vs New Guard UFC matchups

Hackney signature move doesn't work on Amanda Nunes

OrneryAngelicKentrosaurus-small.gif

1. Cejudo would beat Royce...Royce striking was pure shit and his takedowns were meh...Cejudo striking/wrestling is enough for cejudo to KO royce IMO

2. Khabib.....I don't know much about the other guy but he doesn't look that good and gets finished quite quickly...I think Khabib would just tire him out the beat em.

3 Tank.....Conor has trouble with dudes the same size or bigger than him, he is easily intimidated....Tank would not respect Conor at all, he would eventually KO Conor...and there is no way Conor takes tank down.

4 Ken Shamrock....Ken is simply too big for Max, eventually they will get in a clinch or something and Ken would simply take him down and beat em IMO

5 Usman....I think Usman is strong enough/big enough(when not cutting) to prevent Severn's takedowns....Add in the fact Usman knows how to strike way better, and I think Severn loses this one.

6 Whittaker....he is too young, has more striking experience and his TDD is good enough to stop Randy(Whittaker did great against Yoel and Yoel is a better wrestler than Randy IMO)..Also Whittaker is probably like 205-210 lbs, when training...He is big enough for Randy.

7 Randleman....Simply way too big and strong, with a shitload of power...Yes Adesanya is a great striker but I just picture Randleman going for double legs like crazy with eventually getting lanky Adesanya down and destroying him.

8 Mighty Mouse....Dude is simply too fast, too skilled, etc for Gerard...Might Mouse would destroy em IMO

9 Nunes.....Hackney doesn't seem too skilled and is 5'11 200lbs....Nunes should be 160ish and have way more skills...I think Nunes takes it via Sub

10 Don Frye....Simply too big and powerful for Dustin...I think Frye will eventually take Dustin down and beat the crap out of em.

conor beats tank via toehold

More likely, Tanks beats Conor via against-the-cage neckcrank. I thought he was going to break Steve Jennum's neck with that.

Same reaction. This shit is weird. Amanda Nunes vs Keith Hackney might be the strangest shit I've read so far here.

Are we assuming early UFC rules where Keith could do multiple groin shots like he did to Joe Son Do?

Royce vs Cejudo - I dont know
Kabib - too fast - punch , low single , strangle
Tank - bigger + All American wrestler
Shammy - bigger + wrestler
Severn - bigger
Whittaker vs Handy - I dont know because Yoel
Randleman vs Adesanya - I dont know
MM - Too fast ,Take down and strangle
Keith Hackney - Because man + too big
Frye - Bigger , better wrestler
<{MindBrown}>

Are we assuming early UFC rules where Keith could do multiple groin shots like he did to Joe Son Do?
I mean, if he was facing Amanda Nunes, I don't think groin shots would do him too many favors.

1. Cejudo would beat Royce...Royce striking was pure shit and his takedowns were meh...Cejudo striking/wrestling is enough for cejudo to KO royce IMO

2. Khabib.....I don't know much about the other guy but he doesn't look that good and gets finished quite quickly...I think Khabib would just tire him out the beat em.

3 Tank.....Conor has trouble with dudes the same size or bigger than him, he is easily intimidated....Tank would not respect Conor at all, he would eventually KO Conor...and there is no way Conor takes tank down.

4 Ken Shamrock....Ken is simply too big for Max, eventually they will get in a clinch or something and Ken would simply take him down and beat em IMO

5 Usman....I think Usman is strong enough/big enough(when not cutting) to prevent Severn's takedowns....Add in the fact Usman knows how to strike way better, and I think Severn loses this one.

6 Whittaker....he is too young, has more striking experience and his TDD is good enough to stop Randy(Whittaker did great against Yoel and Yoel is a better wrestler than Randy IMO)..Also Whittaker is probably like 205-210 lbs, when training...He is big enough for Randy.

7 Randleman....Simply way too big and strong, with a shitload of power...Yes Adesanya is a great striker but I just picture Randleman going for double legs like crazy with eventually getting lanky Adesanya down and destroying him.

8 Mighty Mouse....Dude is simply too fast, too skilled, etc for Gerard...Might Mouse would destroy em IMO

9 Nunes.....Hackney doesn't seem too skilled and is 5'11 200lbs....Nunes should be 160ish and have way more skills...I think Nunes takes it via Sub

10 Don Frye....Simply too big and powerful for Dustin...I think Frye will eventually take Dustin down and beat the crap out of em.

Good picks, though if Severn could do multiple suplexes vs. Usman (like he did to a much smaller Anthony Macias) that one could get interesting...though Macias was a MT guy who knew nothing about wrestling.

Also, I think you're right on MM, but Gordeau was a pretty dang good and accurate striker for UFC 1 era fighting. If he lands one kick, it might be all over. He had a broken foot and hand vs. Royce, so he was pretty much useless by the tournament final.

I mean, if he was facing Amanda Nunes, I don't think groin shots would do him too many favors.

It may just weird her out so much that she taps to strikes, though.

What if Keith Hackney started low blowing Amanda?

It would be the favorite fight of the perverts in the crowd, and enrage the #metoo crowd at the same time.

i'd probably pick the new guard for every matchup

the sport has evolved so much. current champs are much more well rounded. the sport is more popular drawing in more athletes now as well, increasing the level of competition

the sport is more popular drawing in more athletes now as well, increasing the level of competition

Not so sure about that. The HWs from the mid-90s were arguably more athletic than the ones now. Ken Shamrock turned down a tryout for the San Diego Chargers to do Pancrase, Kimo was similarly athletic, Goodridge/Tank were super strong and pretty mobile for their size, Frye was a good athlete, Severn a D1 wrestler, etc. Now we have mostly 40+ year olds and some overrated Russians.

Good picks, and surprisingly even score between old and new.

My gut feeling is Cejudo wins too, but dunno man, Royce is pretty fucking far from a manlet, can obviously fight a bit, and managed to get the better of much bigger guys, including huge kickboxers like Gerard. It seems weird he'd lose to a 5'4 manlet, but I suppose logic does dictate Henry wins.

Kebab I agree. Varelans was huge and that was about it. Kebab would be able to take him down, and molest him on the mat.

Tank I agree. He was crude as fuck and had no stamina, but the man knew how to fight, was very powerful, had some wrestling and boxing experience, and a huge size advantage.

Shamrock I agree, Usman not so sure. Severn was a 250 pound 6'2 Division 1 wrestler. But yeah, he did lose to Royce, Shamrock, and Coleman, all by submission. Usman isn't much smaller than them (looks fucking huge at 170), and is an excellent wrestler too, so should be able to not get taken down, outstrike and submit Dan.

Whittaker Vs Randy, my initial thought was Randy. But maybe you're right, Whittaker did do ridiculously well Vs an amazing wrestler in Yoel. Still not sure though, Yoel turned into more of a stalking wrestleboxer and kickboxer, he doesn't exactly use his wrestling much compared to say, Kebab, or even DC. Randy would just relentlessly wrestle him.

Randleman Vs Adesanya, I love this matchup :D I agree with you, Randleman would fucking piledrive him through the canvas, Adesanya has no chance.

MM vs Gerard is a match I'd love to see, for comedy value. Could go either way imo. MM could win by submission (afterall, a grown man can be submitted by a 115 pound girl), but at the same time, Gerard could catch him with the same kick he caught Tuli with, and have Mighty Mouse's entire front row of teeth embedded in his foot.

Good picks, though if Severn could do multiple suplexes vs. Usman (like he did to a much smaller Anthony Macias) that one could get interesting...though Macias was a MT guy who knew nothing about wrestling.

Also, I think you're right on MM, but Gordeau was a pretty dang good and accurate striker for UFC 1 era fighting. If he lands one kick, it might be all over. He had a broken foot and hand vs. Royce, so he was pretty much useless by the tournament final.

Exactly, I feel the same way about those 2 matchups.

You read a thread proposing Mythical Matchups between early era UFC fighters, and current day UFC fighters.

Not so sure about that. The HWs from the mid-90s were arguably more athletic than the ones now. Ken Shamrock turned down a tryout for the San Diego Chargers to do Pancrase, Kimo was similarly athletic, Goodridge/Tank were super strong and pretty mobile for their size, Frye was a good athlete, Severn a D1 wrestler, etc. Now we have mostly 40+ year olds and some overrated Russians.

Good point. None of those guys were unathletic. And don't forget Randleman, holy shit, he is one of the most athletic guys in MMA history. Incredibly strong and explosive, and tbh even his stamina was pretty good for a guy his size. Dominated Rutten and Rizzo over the distance.

Today we have guys like Derrick Lewis, Tuivasa and Ivanov.

<{clintugh}>

Back