Old ESPN Gracie Interview

I agree, ESPN should feature MMA, oe even BJJ/Judo. They have a bunch of useless crap like Poker, Auto racing, horse raciing all the time. I have to admit, I laughed my ass off when the had a spelling bee on ESPN.
Even if it's late at night or off-hours, MMA on ESPN would be awesome.

Nice video package with some interesting footage in there. Thanks for the hook up. I think ESPN's commitment to boxing is possibly why they don't have many other ccombat sports.

Superbeast said:
Nice video package with some interesting footage in there. Thanks for the hook up. I think ESPN's commitment to boxing is possibly why they don't have many other ccombat sports.
They do show K1 kickboxing bouts as well as san shou (sp). I've also caught point sparing and sumo matches.

Poker isn't useless.... I take care of my lunches every week because of it :)

Superbeast said:

I don't think it is just the commitment to boxing. I think they think that MMA is just a fade that will go away. Unlike FSN that is starting to show Pride events and Spike that is showing UFC. ESPN IMHO has it out for the sport.

Damn it would suck to get your ass kicked by a 90 year old guy. Helio is from outer space there is no way in hell he should be able to do what he did in that video at 90 years old.

I hope I'm in that kind of shape at 50

My .02,
TMG

He's been doing jiujitsu for over 70 years, I don't think there's any shame in being beat by a codger if he's got a grip that can crack coconuts and knows thousands of ways to hurt and injure you.

If I remember correctly, wasn't ESPN trying hard to distribute K1 PPV shows here in the U.S. last year?

Imortal Warrior, I believe he got promoted to a brown belt last year but I could be wrong.

BJJ.ORG says he is a blue belt. But I think that is rather old.

very good interview. outside the lines/ jeremy shcapp almost always have good pieces and usually not bias

Killa_Cs said:
very good interview. outside the lines/ jeremy shcapp almost always have good pieces and usually not bias
i was surprised that it wasn't sensationalized. usually they show MMA in a bad light focusing only on the "brutality" and "gore".

Sherdog_Mutt said:
If I remember correctly, wasn't ESPN trying hard to distribute K1 PPV shows here in the U.S. last year?

You are correct. They were sponsoring the the Bellagio shows and some others. I think they made the deal because of potential boxing tie-ins (Botha, Butterbean) and Mike Tyson, but ESPN was turned off by the blatantly horrible officiating (e.g. Sapp-Kimo fight) and the pro-wrestling bullshit.

Back