Old age or result of smoking too much weed?

Dowdy

The OG lurker
@Green
Reaction score
Let's face it. Diaz looked like he was fighting at 0.5x speed.

He nearly made Askren's striking look legit

Old age? Ring rust or the result of decades of weed smoking, drinking and partying?

He could barely lift his leg to throw a head kick. Why he signed up to a 5 rounder was stupid after a long lay off.

You guys are fucking ridiculous. Nick is 38, and hadn’t fought in 6+ years, and that was evident. But his hands actually looked really good, and he landed some beautiful shit on Robbie in rd 1. It’s like ppl just remember the visual of Nick looking older, and the finish of the fight only—and forget all the good shit that Nick showed in that fight.

He could barely lift his leg to throw a head kick. Why he signed up to a 5 rounder was stupid after a long lay off.

Maybe that's what he was alluding to in the octagon interview, seemed to him that something went wrong in the booking of this fight

All the above and then some. He's pushing 40. It's a big change in your body, in your mental state, even if you did your best in keeping up a healthy lifestyle. And Nick's style of fighting is not one designed for longevity, either. You can't stay the same forever. Some sort of careful drug regimen can help, I imagine, like judicious use of growth hormone, testosterone, etc, but obviously that carries its own problems.

He's not happy or satisfied where he is right now in life, and he probably can't fool himself into believing he's a world beater anymore. So where does that leave him? What motivation does he have to raise himself up, to put in the long hours at the gym? He's hitting some real limits and he likely doesn't have enough left in the tank to exceed them anymore.

Old age? Ring rust or the result of decades of weed smoking, drinking and partying?
Well, it seemed Diaz simply no longer has the flame of desire burning in his heart. I dont know why he agreed to the fight, only he knws...but his heart was not in it. Why do you think he was so far away from making weight they had to move the fight up a weight class. He is done, put a fork in him. But not because his skills are gone, and not because of weed unless in a peripheral way. So I dont think old age...ring rust for sure, not weed.....but i simply think his heart wasn't in it and he self sabataged, leading to not training, not making weight and it showed....and he knew it. Before the fight he said he didnt know why he was even fighting. After he said he knew he had it coming...

You guys are fucking ridiculous. Nick is 38, and hadn’t fought in 6+ years, and that was evident. But his hands actually looked really good, and he landed some beautiful shit on Robbie in rd 1. It’s like ppl just remember the visual of Nick looking older, and the finish of the fight only—and forget all the good shit that Nick showed in that fight.
I agree, Nicks hands looked pretty crisp for a guy that has been out for that long, albeit slow, but still solid fundamentals.

My personal experience of a large amount of older friends and family members who've smoked puff for a long period of time is it turns people paranoid, awkward unless stoned and slows their cognitive function down.
But Diaz is not the age category I'm talking about. These are people in their 50s plus.

Age and lack of training in my opinion. Did land some decent strikes, but looked slow to me on many of his strikes. Still takes a good punch and unfortunately can't seem to avoid or roll with anything thrown at him. At this point, it looks like he should call it a career and focus on being a trainer. One of my favorite fighters through the years and it was a little sad to watch him last night.

he looked like chuck in there. it was bizarre. I dont know how lawler allowed himself to get hit by nicks slow motion strikes. evander looked better than nick

Last edited:

Bunch of marks here. Diaz showed up for a paycheck and never intended to even try to win. He's finished.

He never took the fight seriously and even had the damn weight class switched last minute. He's always been unprofessional and this is another example of that. Glad Robbie beat his ass.

Back