1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Old age or result of smoking too much weed?

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by Dowdy, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Dowdy The OG lurker

Let's face it. Diaz looked like he was fighting at 0.5x speed.

He nearly made Askren's striking look legit

Old age? Ring rust or the result of decades of weed smoking, drinking and partying?

oscerthegrouch and Humongo like this.
  2. HadoukenHendo Blue Belt

that's not weed, that's alcohol

edit; the latter, too much partying

GORO, helltoupee and theleerygoose like this.
  3. TheWobbler Brown Belt

He could barely lift his leg to throw a head kick. Why he signed up to a 5 rounder was stupid after a long lay off.

qw3rty likes this.
  4. Humongo Green Belt

his brain is fried because of the weed

Hotdog666 and oscerthegrouch like this.
  5. Roids Brown Belt

I really got geriatric vibes watching him, even when he started throwing punches it looked like some old guy doing it from instinct rather than any real intent.

6. Frode Falch Steel Belt Professional Fighter

Why not both? Long time not fighting + alot of drugs

7. Coolkid666 Black Belt

All of the above

8. Juan Bombadil Brown Belt

That’s a decade in Las Vegas

accolyte1022 likes this.
  9. BFoe Gold Belt Platinum Member

You guys are fucking ridiculous. Nick is 38, and hadn’t fought in 6+ years, and that was evident. But his hands actually looked really good, and he landed some beautiful shit on Robbie in rd 1. It’s like ppl just remember the visual of Nick looking older, and the finish of the fight only—and forget all the good shit that Nick showed in that fight.

10. usernamee Gold Belt

Maybe that's what he was alluding to in the octagon interview, seemed to him that something went wrong in the booking of this fight

11. Jay_Winter Blue Belt

All the above and then some. He's pushing 40. It's a big change in your body, in your mental state, even if you did your best in keeping up a healthy lifestyle. And Nick's style of fighting is not one designed for longevity, either. You can't stay the same forever. Some sort of careful drug regimen can help, I imagine, like judicious use of growth hormone, testosterone, etc, but obviously that carries its own problems.

He's not happy or satisfied where he is right now in life, and he probably can't fool himself into believing he's a world beater anymore. So where does that leave him? What motivation does he have to raise himself up, to put in the long hours at the gym? He's hitting some real limits and he likely doesn't have enough left in the tank to exceed them anymore.

Bob Sapp likes this.
  12. Volador Black Belt

Old, inactive for 6 years, washed, didn't make the original weight, constantly high. What did you expect lol. I was actually impressed by him in rd 1, looked much better than I thought he would.

13. jimmy dakine Green Belt

Well, it seemed Diaz simply no longer has the flame of desire burning in his heart. I dont know why he agreed to the fight, only he knws...but his heart was not in it. Why do you think he was so far away from making weight they had to move the fight up a weight class. He is done, put a fork in him. But not because his skills are gone, and not because of weed unless in a peripheral way. So I dont think old age...ring rust for sure, not weed.....but i simply think his heart wasn't in it and he self sabataged, leading to not training, not making weight and it showed....and he knew it. Before the fight he said he didnt know why he was even fighting. After he said he knew he had it coming...

Vairloff likes this.
  14. EnthusiastCultivator Green Belt

I agree, Nicks hands looked pretty crisp for a guy that has been out for that long, albeit slow, but still solid fundamentals.

BFoe likes this.
  15. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Black Belt

He looked 10 years older than he is, maybe more.

Roids likes this.
  16. Armbars Innate Immunity Belt

My personal experience of a large amount of older friends and family members who've smoked puff for a long period of time is it turns people paranoid, awkward unless stoned and slows their cognitive function down.
    But Diaz is not the age category I'm talking about. These are people in their 50s plus.

17. ltarian11 Respect to those with the guts to step in the cage

Age and lack of training in my opinion. Did land some decent strikes, but looked slow to me on many of his strikes. Still takes a good punch and unfortunately can't seem to avoid or roll with anything thrown at him. At this point, it looks like he should call it a career and focus on being a trainer. One of my favorite fighters through the years and it was a little sad to watch him last night.

18. horseshoe_pass man Green Belt

he looked like chuck in there. it was bizarre. I dont know how lawler allowed himself to get hit by nicks slow motion strikes. evander looked better than nick

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  19. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Vive le Québec libre !

Bunch of marks here. Diaz showed up for a paycheck and never intended to even try to win. He's finished.

Hotdog666 and Paul Harvey like this.
  20. deadshot138 Silver Belt

He never took the fight seriously and even had the damn weight class switched last minute. He's always been unprofessional and this is another example of that. Glad Robbie beat his ass.

Humongo and Paul Harvey like this.