Okami a force at 170 & Nakai at 125

I'm surprise Okami can make WW!

He was a big great shape MW.

You can find many 155lbs that are more well rounded fighters than Okami. That doesnt mean it will work for them against a huge WW in Okami. Masvidal would not be a favourite against him.

How many welterweights do you see moving up in weight class and beating Dave Branch at 185?? Larkin?? I dont think so.
Did you see Branch fighting lately??

I can imagine Woodley getting outpointed in the feet, as Marquardt, McDonald or even Jake Shields did
Also, did you predicted Lombard and Marquartd to knock Okami out easily? That's what 90% of sherdog predicted
Have you ssen Okami lately ? Out grinded by a broke Jon Fitch ( who has been god awful in WSOF) and TKO'd. Okami had his time but that time is gone. He is a one dimensional fighter who is not that great at his specialty anymore.

Last edited:
Have you seen Okami lately ? Out grinded by a broke Jon Fitch ( ho has been god awful in WSOF) and TKO'd.

I saw him, although was rather inactive. Lost twice in a row with a huge weight cut in the middle. Two tough opponents, Okami was tough for them too. Has looked good this year fighting in Japan.

I see is very easy to lose credit out of ufc.
Fitch is wsof champ, has dominated all of his last 5, except Toquino who can leg lock just about anyone.

David Branch is ranked #8 MW in the world by Sherdog, rare to see fighting out of UFC.
Have you seen him since fighting Rumble Johson at 195lbs to now?
Losing to Branch is nothing to be ashamed of, much less for a 170lbs

UFC ranked fighters arent leagues above the top guys worldwide.

Okami had his time but that time is gone. He is a one dimensional fighter ho is not that great at his specialty anymore.

Okami has his weaknesses but one dimentional? the one of TD & gnp or to pick you apart in the feet, we have seen him working both against top level competition in ufc. or just last week in pancrase.

Okami is well rounded above anything else, but there wasnt a time where he was #2 at 185 or the best at any specialty despite ufc telling so, nor he would be schooled now by anyone in ufc

Not in ufc....but bellator !! Rin nakai to the 125 division ,okami can stop trying to cut to welterweight and give bellator a true worthy mw champion.....

I love Okami so much. However, it may be a case of his best days being behind him the guy has had a very long career an underrated one.

These days at welterweight his slow speed, possibly spotty gas tank thanks to the weight cut, and as of late non existent head movement these days makes him very suspect able at welterweight.

If he can address these problems then maybe he can have a resurgence it seems he is getting back into the swing of things.

lol, actually I agree.

We have a different concept of what a "journeyman" is, or you just underrate Okami badly
I like Okami but his durability has gone way down compared to his prime at 185, and his serviceable striking and nullifying style don't seem tailor made for success against the more dynamic fighters at 170.

Wouldn't mind being proved wrong, but I don't think his best days are ahead of him.

Or they could sign new talented fighters who don't have to drop to a loaded weight class after failing at the one above it.

You sound like an idiot, there have been numerous fighters that became champion by changing a weight class and doing better due to fighting similar sized opponents or having a speed/cardio edge.

Again...

They pay their fighters per fight. They could literally have 10,000 fighters on the fucking roster. How does it cost them money ???

I don't like to trash 2009's... But that's a shit post if I've ever seen one.

tumblr_m5t7b6J2lB1rvjt2vo1_500.gif

UFC pays fighters medical bills and i'm sure there are other expenses as well other than when they are fighting.

I think Okami could probably beat a few top 10-15 guys on a good night and/or with the right match up.

You sound like an idiot, there have been numerous fighters that became champion by changing a weight class and doing better due to fighting similar sized opponents or having a speed/cardio edge.

Name 2 that did it at this stage in their career with success.

He's not young, he hasn't looked good. He's not gonna be faster and stronger than the top guys at WW. It's loaded with talent and now Diaz and GSP are back in the mix too.

This isn't Cormier going to LHW undefeated, this is a guy that's out of his prime who couldn't hack it when he was.

Name 2 that did it at this stage in their career with success.

He's not young, he hasn't looked good. He's not gonna be faster and stronger than the top guys at WW. It's loaded with talent and now Diaz and GSP are back in the mix too.

This isn't Cormier going to LHW undefeated, this is a guy that's out of his prime who couldn't hack it when he was.

Robbie Lawler and Randy Couture. Others that did better but didn't win a belt are Damien Maia and Dan Henderson.

Okami is stronger than most at WW, he's just not very explosive.

Robbie Lawler and Randy Couture. Others that did better but didn't win a belt are Damien Maia and Dan Henderson.

Lawler I'll give you, Couture is a 19-11 career fighter who was clearly his best at LHW.

Hendo's best was at 185, Maia's on a great streak but if you wanna measure success on proximity to a title, he had a shot at 185, hasn't had one at 170.

I'll be nice and give you 2. That's not a lot or tons or many. That's 2. And when was the last time Okami looked like he could beat Maia or Lawler?

Okami is stronger than most at WW, he's just not very explosive.

Lawler I'll give you, Couture is a 19-11 career fighter who was clearly his best at LHW.

Hendo's best was at 185, Maia's on a great streak but if you wanna measure success on proximity to a title, he had a shot at 185, hasn't had one at 170.

I'll be nice and give you 2. That's not a lot or tons or many. That's 2. And when was the last time Okami looked like he could beat Maia or Lawler?

Probably there isnt any WW who has had so much succes fighting at 185 as Okami. It's fair to remind it.
The size and power of elite 185lbers are hard to deal with for a WW. I honestly would not bet on many WW moving up in weight class and beating Dave Branch at this point. Not even the top guys at 170 in UFC

I agree though that it would be exceptional if Okami can compete with the top guys at 170 still today, at 35 y.o. and 15 years of professional career, but I agree with NoBiasJustMMA that there is a chance it could happen, and would not be the first case.

Last edited:

Couture still change weight classes and did better at HW than he was doing at LHW.

Hendo is not at his best at 185, his cardio is weak at 185, Hendo is at his best at 205+.

Maia got the title shot at MW easier cause the division was weaker and had less depth than WW does now, by a significant amount, his streak at 170 is much more impressive than what he did at MW to get a title shot.

I never said that Okami looks like he can beat Maia or Lawler, I said that he can beat a few top 10-15 guys if given the right match up or he just performs really well.

Maia has had more success fighting 170 than 185 lbers. He is 38 by the way and not that long ago was fighting unranked guys to a decision.

Lombard was older than Okami when he dropped to 170, after losing to him. He was a force in the division just about a year ago, ranked as high as #5 and sheduled to fight the current champ, at 37 y.o.
Woodley is one year younger than Okami.
Idk about Maia or Lawler, I would not bet on Yushin there. But most picked Lombard to beat him too.

Last edited:
Nakai: Nothing for her in Pancrase. I remember reading an article where Invicta said it was willing to supply a fighter for Rizin, if so she should fight
Agnieszka Niedzwiedz. If that can't be worked out than she should go directly to Invicta.

Okami: Should go to Rizin and fight Chidi Njoukani (from Bellator).

Nakai: Nothing for her in Pancrase. I remember reading an article where Invicta said it was willing to supply a fighter for Rizin, if so she should fight
Agnieszka Niedzwiedz. If that can't be worked out than she should go directly to Invicta.

Okami: Should go to Rizin and fight Chidi Njoukani (from Bellator).

Chidi had problems defending the cagework of his last lowranked opponent. I dont think Okami is a good matchup for him. Yushin isnt willing to fight in the ring anyways. He actually declined an offer to fight Khalidov in KSW two years ago for not being in the cage.

Okami still pretends a return to UFC, and WSOF or Pancrase arent too restrictive with contracts

Back