OK, newb question: what's the difference between an "Olympic" bar and a "Regular" Bar

encore_

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure this is a stupid question but I'm serious....what's the bar you'll find in most gyms?

An Oly bar is about 45 lbs. Look for the thicker collar (the thing that holds the weights w/ the larger holes in the center).
A Standard bar is about 15 lbs and fits a 1 ans 1/4 inch plate, or the plates w/ the small holes.
Most gyms have Oly plates and bars.

Yes, I'm sure this is a stupid question but I'm serious....what's the bar you'll find in most gyms?

the difference is a standard bar takes weights with a 1" hole, and olympic bars take weights with a 2" hole. Olympic bars spin on the ends, whereas standard ones don't. They spin to eliminate the torque that results from lifting large dia plates, like 45s and 100s.

As to gyms, I have no clue.

Ah ok. I get it, thanks.

Never used anything except an olympic bar. Easy enough.

A good oly bar will also be more rough for added grip.

Regular bars could be anything from those cheap plastic ones you buy in supermarkets to a smaller 15kg one. Oly bars I believe are 20kg or 45lbs in America.

Never push a midget in an Olympic Bar, because they could end up being a Russian Gymnast, and go perestroika on your ass.

In a regular bar the midget is probably just lonely and looking for love. So pushing them is fine.

To confuse you even more, there are different types of olympic bars, those for weighlifting, and those for powerlifting.

To confuse you even more, there are different types of olympic bars, those for weighlifting, and those for powerlifting.

Really there would be 3, i would also inlcude POS gym bars as another as they are not good for olympic weightlifting or for powerlifting

Olympic barbell:
OBS-20KG_popup_thumb.jpg

Standard barbell:
axks1600.jpg

Almost all gyms will have olympic-style barbells. Standard barbells are really only suitable for light home use. You will find signficant variation among both types of barbells.

Aren'T the bars used for olylifting thick than the "olybars" in most gyms.
I also have heard that the bars for women olylifting are thinner than those for men. Aren't the ones for women even lighter?

Aren'T the bars used for olylifting thick than the "olybars" in most gyms.
I also have heard that the bars for women olylifting are thinner than those for men. Aren't the ones for women even lighter?

IPF Powerlifting Bar Regulations:
The bar shall be straight and well knurled and grooved and shall conform to the following Dimensions:

1. Total overall length not to exceed 2.2 m.

2. Distance between the collar faces is not to exceed 1.32 m or be less than 1.31 m.

3. Diameter of the bar is not to exceed 29 mm or be less than 28 mm.

4. Weight of the bar and collars are to be 25 kg (bar is 20kg).

5. Diameter of the sleeve not to exceed 52 mm or be less than 50 mm.

6. There shall be a diameter machined marking or the bar taped so as to measure 81 cm between marking or tape.

IWF Weightlifting Bar Regulations:
Men's Bar:
20kg, 28mm diameter, 2.2m length

Women's Bar:
15kg, 25mm diameter, 2.01m length

The bars you find in the gym will sometimes be larger in diameter than 28 or 29mm. It's more cost efficient to use weaker steel and use a larger diameter to compensate.

Back