Ok is it just me or is everybody lying

I was there. I'm a bigger fan than ALL OF YOU! I'm the best Sherdogger! I don't have to prove shit; you have to prove that I wasn't there.

First ufc fight I saw was Penn v Hughes at ufc 46 (I had to look that up just now), I didn't see ufc one until after that fight got me hooked, I didn't know what pride was until about a year later.

most fighters on the roster didnt watch ufc 1.

guys like barao, rory and jones were freakin toddllers back then.

ill bet there is a fighter or 2 that werent even born

noobs

I started watching them around 1997 in high school

I was there. I'm a bigger fan than ALL OF YOU! I'm the best Sherdogger! I don't have to prove shit; you have to prove that I wasn't there.

look....

i hear this shit all the damn time, just because you watched it at the time when it happened does not mean you say anything different, does different stuff happen if you see it live???

NO..... People who watched it years after the face still saw the EXACT same fight and can gather just as much knowledge as you who saw it live.

I actually did watch UFC 1 but it was on an illegal cable box (you kids prolly have no idea what those are) so I guess technically Im not 1 of the 50,000

yes I know what they are. A black box. A "friend" had one and it was great. Every boxing, wrestling, and sports event. Plus showtime hbo and the spice channel. I didn't watch ufc 1. I saw advos for it and Pride stuff. i watched here and there. IDK..what ones, it was so long ago. Started watching MMA seriously around 2001 or so.

*pulls down pants*

*whips out tape measurer*

Yep, I got you guys beat

People lie. Just look at any forum or comment area where you can be anonymous. Any argument on youtube is hilarious. If a guy gets called out for being racist he will say he's black or white just to win the argument even though he is not. If the guy gets called a loser he says he graduated from college with a masters and makes a million a year. If a guy gets called ugly, fat, etc he says he gets a ridiculous amount of...well, ya know. People are full of bologna.

I'm short, fat, most girls I fucked are pretty ugly, I failed my exams and struggle for money.

And that's me lying to make myself feel better :)

Who gives a shit?

I've been a fan off and on since the beginning and don't think that gives me any special insight, save understanding the difference between an outright can and a guy who's just simply washed up or could only evolve his game to a certain point.

The petty gripes of buttplugs who fancy themselves some kind of authority on the sport bug me WAY more than things said out of ignorance and disinformation.

You've got to get in sometime. You can't hate younger fans for not knowing something they were never privy to.

I watched it live at a friends who had a stolen descambler box(I think it was a Hamlin)

I do think it had big VHS sales. A lot of people who talk about watching the early UFC's back then reference watching it on tape. I do think some people lie about it which is really weird. There are way too many posts where you see someone write some dumb shit beginning or ending with "and i've been watching since UFC 1"...

The first MMA fight I watched was Bendo/Cerrone 1 on the WEC website leading up to the rematch and Aldo/Faber at WEC 48. The next two fights I saw were Pettis/Karalexis and KZ/Garcia. I was hooked then and ended up going back and watching every UFC, WEC, and Pride event during the next few months.

You very well could have been.
Some people were too young or just didn't have an outlet to get into it yet.

Every Sherdogger is fan since UFC 1 thats not a new thing

I saw UFC 7 on PPV because it came to buffalo, after that, went and rented the VHS of the first ones....been addicted since. But yeah, literally everyone on Sherdog has been watching since UFC 1....lulz.

look....

i hear this shit all the damn time, just because you watched it at the time when it happened does not mean you say anything different, does different stuff happen if you see it live???

NO..... People who watched it years after the face still saw the EXACT same fight and can gather just as much knowledge as you who saw it live.

I actually saw it back in 2002, okay? I thought it was clear that I was joking. I saw it in 2002, and yes, I can break down every fight and that whole event better than probably anyone who saw it live. you are correct, sir. I am no longer superior

The first event I ever saw was UFC 3. They had been talking about it on the radio and I was staying with my father for the weekend. I asked if I could watch it while he went out with his friends. He watched the first fight with me and then stayed home and watched the rest of the event with me.

Why is it that everybody has been watching since UFC 1 but it only had 50,000 buys? like are the PPV numbers reported wrong or did UFC have some massive VHS sales or what? the only time i saw the first 4 is when it came out on a DVD set and i only started watching by UFC 37.5.

I'm not sure how old you are, but for those of us of a certain age at the time of UFC 1, here's how things worked. NO ONE hardly had access to PPV. You'd hear about cool stuff like a Mike Tyson fight or something like UFC 1, and you'd think "I wish I had some way to watch that." Maybe a few people in your town would have a satellite with some capability and a willingness to pick it up. But generally, you'd just know there was a cool event happening that you could not see.

Invariably, someone, though, WOULD be able to buy those sorts of PPVs. And they would hook their VCR up to the tv and record the live show. And that tape would make the rounds. I saw lots of PPV this way.

And then there was the phenomenon of the local video store. This was in the days before Blockbuster and Red Box. Every town had 4 or 5 competing video rental places. Many were mom-and-pop operations. Some were a little more chain-like in scope. Heck, even most grocery stores even had video rentals at checkout. And a lot of those places would also sell used and new videos.

And the VHS video cover sleeve for UFC 2 stood out among the ninja movies, Chuck Norris movies, John Candy comedies, and ski-school or summer-camp themed boob shows. That video was NEVER available to rent. And every video place had only 1 or 2 copies. And when you finally got it, you'd invite your buddies over and watch it. Then you'd watch it again.

I can't remember when UFC 1 came out on video. But you grabbed that up as quick as you could too.

That's how it was.

My dad was big into martial arts, so the first one i saw was UFC 6. Where tank killed John Matua haha.

Back