OHP Form?

Monger

Chronically Injured
Reaction score
I have to admit that even though I've been weight training for 15 years I never knew to tuck my elbows on the bench press :redface:

To support my quest to stop having shoulder injuries I've done a lot of research lately.. I'm embarrassed to say that I never paid attention to benching form when researching training.

So my question now is, should OHP form be similar? Should the elbows be tucked? Should they be slightly forward of the chest? My goal, of course, is to train for max strength while saving my shoulder from future injuries.

Thanks for any information you can offer!

I'd like to see a vid of OHP form if anyone has one. thx.

niagareven said:
go to www.kiltedthrower.com and look at the videos. He has a few push press videos.

hes talking about overhead press, i assume strict form with no leg drive.

in my last ohp session i was keeping my elbows out wide and i got a pretty sharp pain, so i moved them ni and it stopped. i have pretty weak shoulders and it sounds like you might too if you like to keep your elbows out. i think most peope would consider elbows in better technique.

Make sure you push the weight straigt up and and not up at a slight incline/decline.

Just a sidenote: I too have a sucky teqnique, and Ive noticed pain in the wrists if flaring out with the elbow, so I guess keeping elbow in keeps the forearm in a perpendicular position wich means less strain on shoulders AND wrists.

niagareven said:
go to www.kiltedthrower.com and look at the videos. He has a few push press videos.

Cool site, dude's from my hometown. Could you imagine getting him as your probation officer? "Okay, either you go back to the pokey or I get to see how far I can throw you"

I keep my elbows tucked. My form is pretty good but I still get elbow pain when I lower the weight too slowly.

Great, thanks for the advice guys.

Back