Social Oh Dear Mr. Gruden-Raiders coach gone.

Gruden out- 10 year old bigoted emails rants do him in. How do you feel?

• Total voters
Because racist comments only demean black people, who largely aren't the power brokers, while anti-gay remarks includes the people who have the actual power to force outcomes.
Or they have them in the family. That's probably more likely actually. LGBT people came out of the closet and stopped being the other to nearly the same extent that they were.

Depends on the context of the usage.

This contradicts your first statement, which was;

Because racist comments only demean black people, who largely aren't the power brokers, while anti-gay remarks includes the people who have the actual power to force outcomes.

So, racist comments ALSO have the actual power to force outcomes, depending on the language and context of the usage. Bottom line - the lips comment was racially insensitive and unwarranted, but doesn't fall far enough on the context spectrum to warrant an immediate firing. But there are some racist comments that do, thus proving your first comment flat out ...wrong.

In 2011, Gruden was 48 years old. Lets not act like they dug up some dirt from when he was a wee lad...lol.
his age is irrelevant people can dig up emails from a decade ago on you right now and get you fired even though you changed as person. kevin hart got cancelled from something he wrote like in 2007.

No everyone else is perfect so we can judge him and ruin his career.
The dude said shitty things , why are these coming up now ?
coming up a decade later too it almost black mail to be able to do this.

I give this advice to new hires out of college... and will give it my kids when they're older.

In this day and age, anything in email or your phone is NEVER dead. Therefore, never send anything, by text or email, you'd be terrified if it got out.

This is includes...

- Texts to your boyfriend (or friends) - They may become former friends and Ex's.... and bitter
- Emails within the company or to personal friends using the work accounts. IT CAN see these. For example, don't email a colleague complaining about your boss or maybe the CEO/President.

I actually sit a new hire down and give them 10-15 min discussion on this. Younger kids don't have the slightest comprehension of the dangers. (Unless a bitter X in high school "leaked" their shit... We've heard these stories).

When you need to vent or have juicy gossip... Meet your friends somewhere for drinks and have it out. Keep it off your phone or computer.

It's insane Gruden would put any of this shit in emails... lol. But he's the older generation and likely didn't understand that anything sent is never gone... ever

Newsflash - Guys bullshit and have meaningless shit talking to each other. If snowflakes don't believe me... try spending a few weeks on a jobsite. They're worse than High Schoolers and no topic is sacred. I know it may sound caveman like, but it's definitely a bonding thing. Everyone makes fun of each other... Hispanics, blacks, whites... It's like a competition to see who can be the most offensive in good natured fun.

If you can understand any spanish... oh boy. They're hilariously vulgar and not PC what-so-ever. Probably because they don't think anyone can understand them.

Thin skinned people are like lambs to the slaughter though... lol.

My guess is the NFL locker room is very similar to the vibe of construction sites.

Best example from 20 years ago... This guy on the jobsite had a cleft palate and deformed hand. The guys called him the "The Claw"... And he actually enjoyed it, I know it sounds crazy. But the guys wouldn't give him shit if they didn't like him. But imagine referring to him in a text or email these days and calling him the The Claw. lol... It would never look good. I bet PIerre (the guy with the fireworks hand) gets a ton of shit all the time.
l@nd0

Ok, that can be fair. I guarantee there are 32 coaches who could be fired tomorrow if thats the case, but fair.

I really doubt that. You have to be pretty dumb to put this shit in writing to colleagues when you have this kind of public position. Belichick ain’t doing this kind of shit.

I really doubt that. You have to be pretty dumb to put this shit in writing to colleagues when you have this kind of public position. Belichick ain’t doing this kind of shit.

sms on a company phone is writing. Talking in office with a google device present is potential documentation. Im willing to wager if you dug deep enough you would find dirt on all 32 coaches considering how long they have been around in "athletics culture." If there is zero satute of limitations on it like you claim, all coaches have a long history of possibility.

I unironically voted for every single poll option. Gruden should have sent this shit to his buddy's private email instead. 2011 was a lot different culturally compared to now, though. Some of the emails are from 2018, however. I do think privacy is important and we're not all little PC robots all the time, especially if we're from an older generation.

This contradicts your first statement, which was;

So, racist comments ALSO have the actual power to force outcomes, depending on the language and context of the usage. Bottom line - the lips comment was racially insensitive and unwarranted, but doesn't fall far enough on the context spectrum to warrant an immediate firing. But there are some racist comments that do, thus proving your first comment flat out ...wrong.
It doesn't contradict my first statement. I never said racist comments do not have the power to force outcomes.

My comment was in response to a specific post. That post asked a very limited question about this scenario. My response was specific to that question in that post.

The argument in this post seems to be significantly more general. But if I said somewhere that racist comments NEVER result in forced outcomes please show me. Additionally, if I'm wrong about who is affected by either set of comments, please explain how. But other than that, I can't really argue with you about a general argument when I was responding to a specific one.

However, I will flesh this out for you rather than type between the lines. Gruden wasn't fired for the comment about Smith because not enough non-black people were offended by it to force the NFL's hand. The anti-gay comments reach further because while there are fewer gay Americans than black Americans, they are more likely to be related to people in positions of power within the NFL organization structure, ie owners, GMs, Presidents, CEOs and such.

A simple illustration of this comes from the reality that plenty of black people asked that he be fired. Clearly, it warranted firing to the people most likely to be affected by the comments. However, it did not warrant firing to the people with the power to actually make that outcome possible. The Raiders ownership/management. The people with the power to force outcomes are not the black people in and around the league.

If anything, the reason the NFL sent the Raiders the additional emails is because the Smith comments did not result in the outcome the NFL preferred. Instead, they had to bolster the racist comments with anti-gay comments to make the Raiders act.

He should of beat up his wife instead you can’t stay on teams that way these days . Just don’t say mean things

I wouldn't worry about Gruden too much, he has a nice cushy job as a Fox News political analyst just waiting for him whenever he wants.
He should claimed he was hacked that worked for the anti-gay chick on MSNBC

The Joy Reid controversy, from homophobic blog posts to a hacking claim, explained
MSNBC host Joy Reid was accused of writing homophobic blog posts. Reid at first said she was hacked — then apologized.

He should claimed he was hacked that worked for the anti-gay chick on MSNBC

The Joy Reid controversy, from homophobic blog posts to a hacking claim, explained
MSNBC host Joy Reid was accused of writing homophobic blog posts. Reid at first said she was hacked — then apologized.
If MSNBC wanted her out she would have been out, the Raiders owner wanted Gruden out and so he's gone.

Back