oh dear god the instructer does it too!

Curls are important. Help protects/strengthens the elbow. But don't hog up the space in the squat rack while doing them, other people have to squat damit!!!!!

I do hammer curls (towards the center of my chest) every week, if I go for a gullotine and pull someone into my guard to get it I wanna make sure I tap them out. :)

I agree, I do alot of compound movements but I will finish my workouts with curls or calves or something weak like that. However, I see nothing wrong with doing curls for MMA. Biceps are def used frequently in guard/clinch to name a few. I know there are better exercises but I agree with Sonny, If you do the compound movements than doing some curls once in a while is not that bad. I love how everyone is starting to confess they have been doing them all along "but not very often." hahahahahaha

a set of curls at the end of a workout is fine. Just not a "CURL DAY" in your routine. Then You will be shot.

I agree that doing a lot of back exercises, ie pullups, rows, works the bi's. I usually just whack off to pump up my arms.

I dont have the equipment for pullups and chins at home so i curl at the end of my pull day.

I was told curls are important. They help keep yor guard up and tight. When i see poeple spar sometimes, after a round, their guards start to drop and then the head shots start to rain in. By keeping strong biceps, the guard will last longer. Aftera few rounds i feel the burn in my biceps.

incidently, i have seen clips of both Matt Hughes and Vitor Belfort doing curls.

Bahaha Woob.. Seriously I find your last post pretty darn funny.. Propably focusing to much on training your biceps will make your guard drop -earlier- if anything..

I do curls too.

Just because it isnt popular on a sherdog forum doesnt mean I am going to stop doing them.

krellik said:
Bahaha Woob.. Seriously I find your last post pretty darn funny.. Propably focusing to much on training your biceps will make your guard drop -earlier- if anything..

That makes no sense. focus on a muscle and it makes it weaker???

Woob said:
That makes no sense. focus on a muscle and it makes it weaker???

only thing I can think of is that the bicep would weigh more, I would think that the tris would be a better muscle to work anyways.

Curls, and hammer curls in particular, are a good excercise.

Curls don't make you gay; kissing dudes makes you gay.

initialdproject said:
only thing I can think of is that the bicep would weigh more, I would think that the tris would be a better muscle to work anyways.

But the extra power would easily counter the extra weight from the muscle wouldnt it?

It would be like saying 'don't do squat cos you will egt muscle that weights more and find it harder to do other things'

You recon he doesnt do curls?

Woob said:
You recon he doesnt do curls?

Considering my biceps are bigger than his and I don't, I'd say it's possible.

Barut said:
Curls, and hammer curls in particular, are a good excercise.

Curls don't make you gay; kissing dudes makes you gay.

Agree with the latter. Wondering about the former.

Hammer curls, eh? Explain.

adren@line said:
I do curls too.

Just because it isnt popular on a sherdog forum doesnt mean I am going to stop doing them.

Probably a number of guys here do. Girls say they don't, but they love the biceps. And the shoulders. We all know it. I get self-conscious sometimes, too, I'm like, "Damn, my arms are shrinking!"

But they're not, they're really not.

Back