Oh Chicago

You are relatively safe in the blue areas. Slightly less safe in the orange. Slightly, slightly less safe in the red.

In the gray and black neighborhoods. Don't stop at stop signs or traffic lights after dark if there is no ongoing traffic. In fact, don't go to those places at all.

Austin and Englewood are no-go zones.

2016_city_map.png

That chart is fucked when they consider the entire loop area to be unsafe. That's one of the nicest areas of the city with Michigan Ave. Lived there for a while and never felt unsafe at any time. In fact, I even spent time in the west side of the city in the Garfield Park area with a friend who lived there, and even though there's a lot of gang violence, the random violence isn't that bad. Chicago is a huge city filled with people. I would love to live there again.

There's like 10 million people who live in the Chicagoland area. There's a lot of people who live in Chicago and never see a single violent crime in their life.

That chart is fucked when they consider the entire loop area to be unsafe. That's one of the nicest areas of the city with Michigan Ave. Lived there for a while and never felt unsafe at any time. In fact, I even spent time in the west side of the city in the Garfield Park area with a friend who lived there, and even though there's a lot of gang violence, the random violence isn't that bad. Chicago is a huge city filled with people. I would love to live there again.

There's like 10 million people who live in the Chicagoland area. There's a lot of people who live in Chicago and never see a single violent crime in their life.
To be fair the chart doesn't say "dangerous". It simply ranks the neighborhoods by the number of homicides.

The loop is the orangish-red color so it has less than 10 homicides.

The issue is most people dont want to admit there is a culture problem. Becuase then they must blame the people there not just the affects of slavery and bad schooling. Plus how do you change an entire culture? How do you get the idea back in kids heads that school is cool, selling drugs is not. Getting a degree is cool, having a facebook pic of you showing your ass is not. Keeping you legs closed or at least sticking around to raise the child is cool, fuckin and leavin is not. I dont want to hear that they need somethign to look forward to to get better. Maybe things will start to get better if they dont have a kid before graduation? Or maybe there might be jobs for them if they focus on school.

Of course none of this really matters if the parents aren't 100% behind them and pushing them. Of course you need at least one parent around to do that. Can't have the daddy gone and they momma either working all the time or out at the club. Until there is a fine/penalty/etc for being a shitty parent, a lot of this stuff won't change. It's not against the law to be a shitty parent.

And thats the sad parent that a lot of liberals dont want to admit to, what if things have gotten so bad and so many excuses made that there is never any real change? We've had 50 years of dem controlled inner cities and things are still shitty. I know there is still alot to recover from slavery, jim crowe, red lining, etc, but things were not this bad during the 40-to ealry 60s. Graduation rate and wedlock rate was close between the races.
This is not really a city issue. Plus there are plenty of conservative controlled cities that suck also. Blaming local municipalities and calling people genetically inferior who should be walled off and drowned isn't really helping things either.

And one thing that really needs to be addressed is the steady decline of the middle class since the 70's. Technology and outsourcing getting rid of so many decent paying lower skilled jobs was devastating especially for those in the lower income black communities. And without a developed base, taking on the new and greater barriers to entry to the middle class was beyond difficult. Then crack came and didn't help with the depression. In the case of lost jobs the poorer black communities were like the canaries in the mine as now white people are complaining about it. Unfortunately if by some chance Trump does bring back jobs, they are likely to be shit paying or automated away so you are back at square one.

the amount of failed killings is very high unless they are actually not trying to kill each other. America is a scary place
Come here sometime and enjoy no violence or crime.
Don't let negative press form your opinion for you.

The current murder rate in Chicago is higher than the national average but is still far lower than in the past.

The culture is a by product of the drug trade and the sense of family/community granted by the gang life. We need to work on ending the war on drugs and the black community needs to reestablish the family unit. Too many children without fathers in the home and women with multiple children from multiple dead beat fathers.

The crime will continue to be a problem so long as the community refuses to work the police and the police continue to not give them a reason to.

Welfare makes fathers disposable. So there is a culture of disposable and absentee fathers, and there is actually an incentive to have more children if you are on welfare. Single parent households tend to fail children so the situation is fucked.

Yeah, that's just not a viable plan.

Do you have any suggestions? That city sounds like a disaster. How did other gang infested neighborhoods in the country rise above the craziness? The situation is well outside my experience, and is baffling.

They moved. After all the new people that have gang problems moved into these areas, the original occupants moved out after the Chicago Riots.

The neighborhoods that the old occupants moved into remain gang free and safe to this very day.

The culture is a by product of the drug trade and the sense of family/community granted by the gang life. We need to work on ending the war on drugs and the black community needs to reestablish the family unit. Too many children without fathers in the home and women with multiple children from multiple dead beat fathers.

The crime will continue to be a problem so long as the community refuses to work the police and the police continue to not give them a reason to.

Nonsense. Crime rate in the African American community has gone DOWN since the drug war has started.

All demographics' crime rates have gone down.

ldah6rdp6ukvngoyqi1fcg.gif

The disparity that you see is that the black violent crime rate relative to the white violent crime rate is ~ 5:1. That also held true back when the violent crime rate was ~3-4:1 what it is today. So, a black person from the 1960s was 15-20x more likely to commit violent crime than a white person is today. A black male 30-40x a white female today.

You seem to think that the African American crime rate in places like Chicago is outrageous today. It's at an all-time low. If your racist ass is scared of black people today, you would have been insanely racist in the recent past. That's why we passed things like the Civil Rights Act.

Last edited:
The issue is most people dont want to admit there is a culture problem.

Nonsense. There are black people all over the world with different cultures all over the world. This problem is not just in America. Black people have high crime rates, regardless of their culture, all over the world.

Why? People are racist against black people all over the world. Even in Africa -- Africa has been the victim of colonial racism and white supremacy for centuries.

High black crime rates in Europe? Racism. High black crime rates in Australia? Racism. High black crime rates in Asia? Racism. High black crime rates in America? Racism. High black crime rates in Africa? Racism.

Black people have been treated like dirt on every single one of these continents.

Blaming this on something just in America is disgusting and untrue, blatant anti-American propaganda.

Last edited:
So sad. The north side of Chicago is a beautiful place, too. Wouldn't mind living there, tbh.
I do live in the north side. It sucks this whole city gets a bad rap for what happens in such a concentrated area.

I do live in the north side. It sucks this whole city gets a bad rap for what happens in such a concentrated area.
Chicago doesn't even have the worst murder rate in the country, either. There's nearly 3 million people living there.

I'm probably statistically more in danger by moving back home to New Orleans.

Ahhh...the weekend update from ChiCongo

The current murder rate in Chicago is higher than the national average but is still far lower than in the past.
But that fact doesn't line up with the racist conservative view of rap and drug cultures destroying black society =O

Chicago doesn't even have the worst murder rate in the country, either. There's nearly 3 million people living there.

I'm probably statistically more in danger by moving back home to New Orleans.
Yeah, I lived in St. Louis for three years and I can tell you that in general it is far less safe in a higher percentage of the city than Chicago overall.

Yeah, I lived in St. Louis for three years and I can tell you that in general it is far less safe in a higher percentage of the city than Chicago overall.
I'm actually looking into jobs up there. Won't be moving until 2018, but it's got the feel of NYC with much better value. I really enjoyed myself there.

Back