Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leek

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
continued from http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f61/official-womens-mma-discussion-thread-8-a-2685271/

Mods please sticky

TUF 20 Tryout Interviews Part 1

ONE FC’s Jujeath Nagaowa: I want and need to win this debut fight and nothing else

Jujeath Nagaowa's pro boxing record

Sofia Bagherdai signed to WSOF. Don't understand the XFC disclaimer, they signed her after she lost in Invicta 1, she won her fight against Sarah Malloy and then got pregnant. When she comes back and XFC loses their TV deal with AXS & starts doing shows in Brazil, and she wants to stay close to home. What's there to bad mouth?

BmHDZcBCUAIpae6.jpg:large

10172761_759717480726422_3585583638975562961_n.jpg

Jeet Toshi looking good.

Last edited:
TUF 20 Guide

Continuing discussion from previous thread:
With that being said, Gadelha's withdrawal does hurts the tournament's credibility quite a bit, the same way Overeem pulled out of the SF HW GP.

I was hoping that she'd diet down for the show, and the one person who could walk through that murderous row victorious could legitimately be considered the best SW, despite Jag's absence.

But alas, now the top 2 girls in that weight class are not in the tournament for the crown. There will be a lot of naysaying until the TUF 20 winner beats Gadelha in dominating fashion.

I don't agree here.

I don't think it hurts the credibility of the tournament at all. Everyone else who wants that strap made the necessary adjustments to go to TUF to get it, and it's no one's fault than her own that Gadelha has weight cutting issues.

I don't think there should be any naysaying.

If a woman who fights at 115 can lose 20 pounds of water weight (and some solid food waste) in a week, then that would be equivalent to a guy who fights at 205 losing 35 pounds of water weight (and solid food waste) in a week. Neither one seems plausible.

Dunno but that's a source, and even I remember that Gadelha twitted something about that after the win over Hamasaki.

Gadelha is the Anthony Johnson of WMMA

In a couple of years we'll see her fight Amanda Lucas.

TUF 20 Tryout Interviews Part 1

By MarQ April 29, 2014

angela hill 02
Hill

Every fighter has their story and we were out at The Ultimate Fighter 20 tryouts to find some.

We were able to talk to 27 of the fighters looking to put their name in MMA history and become UFC stars overnight. Over the next few days you will get to know some new faces as well as some established fighters who are wanting to grab the brass ring – the UFC strawweight title.

We start with these six hopefuls:

Angela Hill

Angelica Chavez

Helen Harper

Holly Cline

Jennifer Liou

Link to Jennifer Liou vs. Jillan Lybarger

http://fightcreature.com/kotc_king-of-the-cage-radar-lock-02222014-pt-1/
(Starts 13 minutes in.)

Mandy Polk

http://wombatsports.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/tuf-20-tryout-interviews-part-1/

Last edited:
Not surprised Gadelha has pulled out but sucks at the same time. She's easily one of the favourites to win but there's still Jojo, Torres and Esparza, so TUF still looks good. There's gonna be less drama in the house with her not there.

Gadelha is the Anthony Johnson of WMMA

In a couple of years we'll see her fight Amanda Lucas.

She'll be universally loved like AJ and Lineker once the Heavies learn of her.

Someone on here once said they didn't segregate their mma.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Those are some pretty cool video interviews by Marq. I can't wait to watch them later today. He has a webcast too where he supposedly tells who didn't move on in the tryouts.

I hope Penne and Schneider make it in.

I've heard good stuff on Daly and Penne, number one and number two for submissions in the grappling side of the tryouts. I'm not sure about Schneider. I'd think she did half-way decent, at least in the grappling department. She's one of the bigger fighters trying out for TUF 20.

White picked 20 people to move forward onto the next stage, that is more then expect by a fair margin.

I've heard good stuff on Daly and Penne, number one and number two for submissions in the grappling side of the tryouts. I'm not sure about Schneider. I'd think she did half-way decent, at least in the grappling department. She's one of the bigger fighters trying out for TUF 20.

White picked 20 people to move forward onto the next stage, that is more then expect by a fair margin.
Makes me wonder if they might sign a bunch of the ones who didn't make it. The talent level trying out for this TUF is far superior than TUF 18.

The irony of not making the show, but making your official UFC debut before the others that made it. At least that is suppose to happen with VanZant, Gadelha, Lima, and one unnamed fighter during the summer.

thanks for all the tryout videos, everyone. the interview videos were pretty cool, especially, thanks thirdpres. :D

i'm excited to see who makes it in the house! :D

Makes me wonder if they might sign a bunch of the ones who didn't make it. The talent level trying out for this TUF is far superior than TUF 18.

The irony of not making the show, but making your official UFC debut before the others that made it. At least that is suppose to happen with VanZant, Gadelha, Lima, and one unnamed fighter during the summer.

I think they should sign everyone of the decent fighters there.

I can understand White's point about not bringing in the many 1-0-0 fighters who maybe good but still need to prove they can keep it together for at least 1-2 more fights. That makes me a bit sad for Angela Hill if she is representative of such fighters but it still makes sense.

I'd like the UFC to pick up these fighters and more bantamweights, top ones and then keep an eye on decent flyweights and strawweights currently outside of the UFC/TUF and think about three proper divisions.

There is enough high level talent to allow for three solid divisions but wait for the flyweight division for another year so they can get their own proper TUF, so those fighters who would like to fight at flyweight would have to choose between bantamweight and strawweight for another year, or so.

That is sucking up a ton of talent though, it would make things tough for everyone else doing women's mma.

--

thanks for all the tryout videos, everyone. the interview videos were pretty cool, especially, thanks thirdpres. :D

i'm excited to see who makes it in the house! :D

You're welcome battery. Happy to put up interesting things to see/read.

8)

--

10013113_779841552050078_15241236_n.jpg

Torres looking good and looking to do big things.

--

This is the favorite one I found, thought she pulled guard a second into the fight, but got knocked down and immediately slipped a triangle on. She's got a pretty strong sense of commitment, this one, going through several rolls, pulled the leg and transitioned smoothly to an armbar. Would love to see her against Costigan like you said, a sub-lime matchup :wink:. Thanks for the Lima vids, too!

Fight starts at 1:15

[YT]kVWNdqr7W9A[/YT]

Agreed. I think this was the very first time I saw her. I recall looking for her record but not remembering to get rid of the accents in her name. Had a hard time of it.

She looks good and I would love to see her fight someone with a solid game. Costigan would be a great match-up.

--
Wombatsports has the Holly Cline video fixed, fixed and reposted on front page and here:

Holly Cline

--
People might be interested in this thread: Ronda Rousey vs. Alexis Davis ....

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...y-wmma-fight-currently-scheduled-ufc-2727605/

A few interesting conversations are going on there, not the, sometimes, excessive whining you see over there.

Last edited:
Whoohoo! Thread #9!

lovepotion2.jpg

Last edited:
the HEAVIES!

Killastina Makihele vs. Rachel Kemker at 180lbs

--

The Future has Arrived: Allison Gonier

--
Vanessa Porto vs. Ana Maria India - Fatality Arena 6 at 135lbs

Part 1

Part 2

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this one or not. Posted the split one as the full fight was just too messed up to be worth watching in my opinion.

//I noticed that this version of the fight has the weights listed at 135lbs, another version is split in half and doesn't include the weight.

This fight has been reported, in several places, as being at 125lbs.

--
It occurs to me that the UFC might try to bring in Zoila Gurgel instead of Jessica Aguilar as their mystery 4th fighter. Not sure if that is true but worth considering from a cynical point of view.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back