Official Women's Division Discussion Thread #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
felice-herrig-paige-vanzant-ufc-on-fox-15.jpg

2dhh8bo.jpg

Looks like Herrig thinks she can't lose this fight.

Looks like PVZ considers Herrig another "mean girl"/bully and is ready to put her in her place.

I just hope the winner of this fight does not get a title shot.

Jarl

I love sherdog. Everyone thinking Harrig is going to dominate paige. Just like sherdog thought Esparza was going to win and Mizuki was going to dominate Karolina.

Looks like Herrig thinks she can't lose this fight.

Looks like PVZ considers Herrig another "mean girl"/bully and is ready to put her in her place.

I just hope the winner of this fight does not get a title shot.

Jarl

I wouldn't mind Herrig getting a title shot if she wins. She has enough experience at 10-5 to be legit and the look to promote it. PVZ needs a little more seasoning before she's ready though. She's young and has flaws in her game that need rounded out.

Ideally Jag would come into the UFC and face Joanna next. Champion against Champion and they're the two best fighters in the world at SW. Otherwise the water is a little murky. Maybe Tecia or Jessica Penne?

Rivera-Calanoc.png

The "Night Queen" announced that she's coming out of retirement. If there was something about this here already, I didn't see it.

Nicdali Rivera-Calanoc announces MMA return
April 11, 2015 Al Stover

https://frombluecorner.wordpress.com/2015/04/11/nicdali-rivera-calanoc-announces-mma-return/

I would prefer she goes first to the regional circuit and gets some wins before returning to Invicta FC. It wouldn't be out of character for them to giver her Tiburcio in her first fight. But if she does return to Invicta FC immediately, it will be easy for their webmaster, as Rivera-Calanoc still shows as fighting for them.

I would prefer she goes first to the regional circuit and gets some wins before returning to Invicta FC. It wouldn't be out of character for them to giver her Tiburcio in her first fight. But if she does return to Invicta FC immediately, it will be easy for their webmaster, as Rivera-Calanoc still shows as fighting for them.

She thanks XFL (Xtreme Fighting League), so I assume she's going to fight with that organization.

Last edited:

Short retirement. I don`t know why, but this post made me LOL. I envisioned her calling Shannon and announcing that she was coming back...then Shannon booking her against Tiburcio...then Tiburcio just beating the hell out of her for about a minute and a half before subbing her...and Nicdali thinking, "Thanks! Great booking there. Way to welcome me back to the sport." XFL is probably a good fit for her.

Indeed, title picture is murky....and agreed: the timing would be perfect to bring Jag over and set up that title fight. I guess Herrig could make a case (2 wins in a row + a win on TUF)...but the rankings of her opponents and the fact she got worked by Torres in Invicta might hold her back. I`d say a win by Herrig should move her up the ladder to fight someone (Moroz, Penne - if she wins, Daly - if she wins...maybe even Albu) as a title eliminator. Hmmm....muscles vs. muscles; Herrig vs. Albu; that might generate some buzz.

Jarl

Last edited:
Was Herrig's weigh in costume a tribute to Hisae Watanabe, or does she just really like the Flintstones?

Was Herrig's weigh in costume a tribute to Hisae Watanabe, or does she just really like the Flintstones?

Warrior Princess theme as I understand it.

--

Watching Prelims.

I see ...

INSPECTORS:
1. Coban Lookchaomaesaitong
2. Chris Wing
3. Munah Holland

image_crop.php

The Perfect Storm!

People have been wondering what she is upto.

I love sherdog. Everyone thinking Harrig is going to dominate paige. Just like sherdog thought Esparza was going to win and Mizuki was going to dominate Karolina.

That must be why 60% of Sherdog voted for VanZant, while Herrig got 40%. And yes, "Herrig" is how her last name is spelled.

Try to contribute something worthwhile, or atleast say something that actually make sense, the next time you enter this thread.

Could be a tribute to Hisae; but looks slightly different. At the weigh-ins, the announcers were saying it was a tribute to Jimmie Snuka. It`s the least recognizable of her costumes, I`ll say that. More interesting was how she stepped onto the scale without removing anything; she was pretty confident in her weight cut, I guess.

Jarl

That must be why 60% of Sherdog voted for VanZant, while Herrig got 40%. And yes, "Herrig" is how her last name is spelled.

Try to contribute something worthwhile, or atleast say something that actually make sense, the next time you enter this thread.

Indeed, most people who watch the sport picked Herrig. Most people who just compare photos of the two and add comments like, "Paige is way hotter. Would bang!" chose PVZ. Sadly, Sherdog has more of the latter, thus, PVZ won that poll by a wide margin.

@Arkain2: Asking for a coherent post from the Cybernetics is a pretty tall order. Better to just ignore and move on to better posts.

Jarl

Great win by Paige VanZant.

Herrig kept going to the ground with her. Really dumb move.

Congrats to VanZant.

--
What I've got for fights so far. Lots more to go.

Gabby Walker def. Katie Halley by Sub. at AFC 115.

Liz Tracy def. Maria Rios by RNC in rd. 1 at LOP: Fight Night 2. (Rios missed weight. Controversy about what weight this was fought at.)

Julia Jones def. Diana Rael by RNC at 3:08 of rd. 2 at COGA: Rumble on the Ridge 31.

Zaira Dyshekova def. Ilona Daurova by TKO at 4:08 of rd. 2 at Absolute Championship Berkut 16, (Russia.) (Fought at 137.)

Paige VanZant def. Felice Herrig by UD at UFC Fox 15.

New:
Marciea Allen def. Carina Damm by Armbar in rd. 1 at Spring Brawl 2015.
(Thanks for the PM.)
--

Last edited:
Paige just broke Felice down over the course of the fight, survived some tough positions early. Impressive performance.

missed the first round but good fight. felice looked stronger but pvz walling/fence skill are real good, really proved that with this fight(not certain in first fight since curran skill is unclear) Also shows her grappling skill is quite good as well. Also her will/cardio/pace is relentless which we already know.

Looks like her hype train is still intact. I want to see her face rose if she wins or maybe randa(I think this will be a really fun grappling fight).

missed the first round but good fight. felice looked stronger but pvz walling/fence skill are real good, really proved that with this fight(not certain in first fight since curran skill is unclear) Also shows her grappling skill is quite good as well. Also her will/cardio/pace is relentless which we already know.

Looks like her hype train is still intact. I want to see her face rose if she wins or maybe randa(I think this will be a really fun grappling fight).

Too bad you missed the first round. Herrig looked decent in that round as would be expected.

She got the better of VanZant in the striking getting in some good punches. VanZant showed she's improved some but still has problems in the standup.

The clinch fighting against the fence in the first round was fairly even. Herrig took VanZant down several times and went for submissions, lost position, fought off bad positions herself. Etc. First round was actually very close but I tended to favor VanZant, mostly due to getting the better of Herrig on the ground - ultimately.

Herrig kept doing dumb stuff and was mostly spent by round 3.

After the dumb moves Herrig made in the first rounds, playing into VanZant's strengths, I figured she'd go down to defeat.

Again. Congrats on VanZant.

I've often thought well of her but its hard to say where she's at. Her last two opponents, like her first two opponents, seemed to have assumed they'd run her over. Were looking past her. Or so it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back