Official Women's Division Discussion #27

It's hard to say if she's chinny, Ribas pretty much ran herself face first into the perfect punch. Marina sat down on that right hand and placed it right on the chin as Ribas was coming in, IMO most fighters would've been dropped by that shot. Clean placement, right in the power band, on an opponent who's stepping in and fully committed to her own punch. You can't really ask for a better counter.

giphy.gif

Do you think Marina may have thrown that looping left as a feint to draw Amanda in for the right elbow?

Super late to the party, not much to add. Just...agree that Ribas ran into a perfect counter. Too early to say she's chinny or "derailed". Hopefully she comes back. She seems like the kind of fighter who can stay motivated and doesn't get too down about a losing performance.

I feel sorry for Sara McMann fans. She usually looks so good in the first round...and then...[SIGH]. Pena definitely needs another win before she gets the GOAT. Pena vs. Ladd on the same card as Holm vs. GDR, please.

I had this take on Calderwood vs. Eye. I might be way off, but I feel that both camps focused their camps on the Calderwood vs. Chookagian fight footage. I feel like Eye's coaches said something like, "Jojo loses by getting caught in submissions. But, "The Blonde Fighter" has given another template for beating her. Jojo fades late and seems happy to trade leg kicks for getting her face punched." And, they focused on just keeping Jessica active and trading with Jojo (sans defense). But, I feel like Calderwood's coaches made her watch the same footage and said, "Jojo, don't trade leg kicks for getting you face punched. Especially in the 3rd round while taunting your opponent. It isn't a good look." And, in the end, Calderwood was able to subvert expectations and not repeat her "Chook-pattern letdown".

Jarl

Interesting thoughts on coaching. Seems possible. Sometimes the game planning appears they only studied one fight. Eye fought like she was expecting Jojo to tire. Tied her up in the clinch a lot. Like you say, Jojo didn't make game changing mistakes this time. She paced herself better and came out of most clinches with a decent strike.

Last edited:
Na Liang's sub of Julia Berezikova (that's not on either's record still). I think Liang is a bit under-powered for modern flyweight, but maybe has bulked up since being in the PI.

Thanks. Pleasantly surprised Na Liang didn't break Berezikova's arm. Instead notified the ref, who saw the tap. Good manners lol.

Nunes X Cyborg is the fight to make
There's no one who can beat Nunes in the UFC except Schevchenko and she doesn't want the fight.
If Shev really wanted the fight she could literally just move up, she didn't.
Cyborg is the only fighter willing to fight Nunes who could put up a good fight and she's a good draw.
Just for a reference, her second fight in Bellator reached over a million views in 1 one day.
Meanwhile Douglas Lima x Mousasi didn't even reach half a million. Even the Pitbull x Chandler super fight didn't reach a million views.

BTW, Rizlen is a big underdog to Lucia Szabova, what's up with that? :eek:
Likely because she hasn't fought in nearly two years. I haven't seen any of Szabova's fights but Rizlen's power is often underestimated and I would think she's improved a lot since her last fight. I'm just glad she's fighting again after having difficulty finding an opponent haha.

Finally got around watching the fights, after hiding for spoilers except the tabloids mentioning McGregor taking a nap :)

Herb Dean being his usual random self nearly destroyed Ribas/Rodriguz with is ludicrous "gonna stop it, nope I am not!" show, but good win for Rodriquez nonetheless.

JoJo/Eye was fun, not pretty, but fun. And Calderwood seems to have gotten rid of some of her worst habits, or at least lessened them, and luckily Eye didn't bother submitting her for the victory =P This was the only one that ended like I wished it would.

Feeling for McMann. And Pena is irritating.

Likely because she hasn't fought in nearly two years. I haven't seen any of Szabova's fights but Rizlen's power is often underestimated and I would think she's improved a lot since her last fight. I'm just glad she's fighting again after having difficulty finding an opponent haha.

Szabova is listed as a 'Muay Thai' fighter on Tapology, so I'll always pick the practitioner of the superior art of grappling (especially the secondest mostest superior sub-art of Judo) over a practitioner of the inferior art of kickyboxy.

atcha @thatdude21601

otherwise, I assume Szabova is the big favorite mostly just because she's the hometown girl...

BTW, Rizlen is a big underdog to Lucia Szabova, what's up with that? :eek:

Szabova is listed as a 'Muay Thai' fighter on Tapology, so I'll always pick the practitioner of the superior art of grappling (especially the secondest mostest superior sub-art of Judo) over a practitioner of the inferior art of kickyboxy.

otherwise, I assume Szabova is the big favorite mostly just because she's the hometown girl...

Szabová is beast, well rounded fighter with incredible potential(22yo). Zouak is going to test her but Szabova should take W.

(39-5)8xKO in Muay-Thai
something like 15-1 in K1
3-0 in MMA

Btw she already have win vs Dostalova which is BJJ blackbelt with Judo background (2 years old fight....she improved alot)

@Eszopicione. Yeah, No. Nunes fought Cyborg at Cyborg's weight on Cyborg's terms...and just melted her face off!! Face down, ass up early in the first round. No need for a rematch there.

Okay, if Pena is trying to irritate me into thinking she deserves an ass-kicking from Nunes...it's working. I now want to watch Nunes KTFO the Venzuelan Vixen.

GDR vs. Holm II just makes sense. The first fight was quite controversial and I don't think either fighter was satisfied with the result.

Jarl

Back