Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Ribas won the first round by taking Rodriguez down, much as expected. The second round, for all practical purposes, lasted just 30 seconds. She walked onto a sweet punch and got stunned, it's happened to the best but not very often at 115.

So my take away is that this was the first decent striker Ribas had faced. We were worried that she might be chinny, given she was stopped by Viana, and so it proved. Rodriguez got her first stoppage finish in six UFC outings. For me that's the big worry rather than any technical deficiencies, can she actually take a punch? If Weightgate is real, rather than a figment of her daddy's imagination, maybe she needs to move up?

Ribas won the first round by taking Rodriguez down, much as expected. The second round, for all practical purposes, lasted just 30 seconds. She walked onto a sweet punch and got stunned, it's happened to the best but not very often at 115.

So my take away is that this was the first decent striker Ribas had faced. We were worried that she might be chinny, given she was stopped by Viana, and so it proved. Rodriguez got her first stoppage finish in six UFC outings. For me that's the big worry rather than any technical deficiencies, can she actually take a punch? If Weightgate is real, rather than a figment of her daddy's imagination, maybe she needs to move up?

I certainly have 0 confidence in Ribas being able to take shots from someone like Weili or Rose

Fighting Angela Hill might be a good interim 'chin check', I can't remember her really hurting anyone in the UFC but in Invicta she got a couple of KO's vs girls with glassy jaws. Of course Ribas would probably just take her down and sub her instead (as she should).

It's hard to say if she's chinny, Ribas pretty much ran herself face first into the perfect punch. Marina sat down on that right hand and placed it right on the chin as Ribas was coming in, IMO most fighters would've been dropped by that shot. Clean placement, right in the power band, on an opponent who's stepping in and fully committed to her own punch. You can't really ask for a better counter.

giphy.gif

It's hard to say if she's chinny, Ribas pretty much ran herself face first into the perfect punch. Marina sat down on that right hand and placed it right on the chin as Ribas was coming in, IMO most fighters would've been dropped by that shot. Clean placement, right in the power band, on an opponent who's stepping in and fully committed to her own punch. You can't really ask for a better counter.

One thing I really like about Marina is that she is one of the few women who knows how to fight at length. Her reach is proportional to her height but she uses her reach well. Good timing and good use of her jab.

Post-fight she reverted to her older ways by calling for a title shot and claiming Nunes is 'ducking' her. Nunes promptly retorted on twitter WTF along with a coherent explanation but I can't recall how it was worded, someone posted it in the play by play section here. Nina chimed in with another reply

Nina: "You guys remember when you were supposed to fight, and then she blew it by losing?".

Amanda: (in response to Nina) "Twice".

giphy.gif

Great angle on a perfect punch with fight ending consequences, rare at 115 even from a talented striker.

Rodriguez vs Joanna for the interim belt please! Ok, a joke but the Weili vs Rose delay is so annoying.

Something I'm trying to figure out who realistically is next in line to challenge Amanda Nunes
for Bantamweight gold since most everyone at 135 lbs is either coming off a win followed by
a loss or other way around fighter depending.

Something I'm trying to figure out who realistically is next in line to challenge Amanda Nunes
for Bantamweight gold since most everyone at 135 lbs is either coming off a win followed by
a loss or other way around fighter depending.

I'd say book Ladd Vs Pena for #1 contender. Just don't let Holly and Germaine beat all the contenders again.

09185524-1200-4CC1-91B1-05A33D6EE765.jpeg
Roza Gumienna 3-0 vs Ekaterina Shakalova 3-1 Feb 12th in Poland

upload_2021-1-26_22-29-52.png
Evelyn Martins 1-0 vs Melissa Croden 2-0 bantamweight Feb 12th

new LFA signing at
Jaqueline Amorim 2-0 ammy

Liana Jojua got promoted:

And a change in a UFC fight:

View attachment 829549
Roza Gumienna 3-0 vs Ekaterina Shakalova 3-1 Feb 12th in Poland

View attachment 829550
Evelyn Martins 1-0 vs Melissa Croden 2-0 bantamweight Feb 12th

new LFA signing at
Jaqueline Amorim 2-0 ammy

Liana Jojua got promoted:

And a change in a UFC fight:

What?! Nico Montano dropping out of a fight?! What a shocker?! How could this happen?! Who saw this coming!!!

Super late to the party, not much to add. Just...agree that Ribas ran into a perfect counter. Too early to say she's chinny or "derailed". Hopefully she comes back. She seems like the kind of fighter who can stay motivated and doesn't get too down about a losing performance.

I feel sorry for Sara McMann fans. She usually looks so good in the first round...and then...[SIGH]. Pena definitely needs another win before she gets the GOAT. Pena vs. Ladd on the same card as Holm vs. GDR, please.

I had this take on Calderwood vs. Eye. I might be way off, but I feel that both camps focused their camps on the Calderwood vs. Chookagian fight footage. I feel like Eye's coaches said something like, "Jojo loses by getting caught in submissions. But, "The Blonde Fighter" has given another template for beating her. Jojo fades late and seems happy to trade leg kicks for getting her face punched." And, they focused on just keeping Jessica active and trading with Jojo (sans defense). But, I feel like Calderwood's coaches made her watch the same footage and said, "Jojo, don't trade leg kicks for getting you face punched. Especially in the 3rd round while taunting your opponent. It isn't a good look." And, in the end, Calderwood was able to subvert expectations and not repeat her "Chook-pattern letdown".

Jarl

Nicco is a walking meme. She'll end up like that one guy that is only remembered for getting cut, after he wore some speedo for his fight a few years ago.

I'd say book Ladd Vs Pena for #1 contender. Just don't let Holly and Germaine beat all the contenders again.

I agree that booking Holm/GDR vs Peña/Ladd (mix and match) will only hinder the younger fighters, as they didn't past their tests before and more than likely, would fail again. I'd book Holm vs GDR II, Ladd vs Peña, and whoever gets the most impressive win, gets the next title shot whenever Amanda is ready. It wouldn't shock me though, if they entice Holm/GDR to rematch for an interim in the meantime. Besides, if people think Nunes/Anderson is a mismatch, Nunes vs Ladd/Peña would be a repeat of Nunes/Spencer. Megan at least has that one punch knockout power going on, which makes striking with her dangerous regardless of who you are. Peña and Ladd have nothing for Nunes, they're outmatched everywhere.

Talking about Peña, she's out here putting her foot in her mouth again. If these statements of hers are a strategy to get people talking, its working. But if they're the product of delusions, that's just putting yourself in a position to get embarrassed.

"I neutralized the best strikers and took them down". Conveniently left out the fact that Shevchenko took her down, and she got submitted by both of them. Girl, even Nicco Montaño took you down.

Na Liang's sub of Julia Berezikova (that's not on either's record still). I think Liang is a bit under-powered for modern flyweight, but maybe has bulked up since being in the PI.

Back