Official Women's Division Discussion #27

ufc 257 picks:
- mcmann v. pena - i expect pena to be over-agressive and dive into something that gets her subbed. again. mcmann by sub
- ribas v. rodriguez - does anyone expect that rodriguez will knock ribas out? no? well then. ribas by UD
- eye v. calderwood - jojo getting robbed by the judges is the most likely outcome. eye by SD

- ribas v. rodriguez - does anyone expect that rodriguez will knock ribas out? no? well then. ribas by UD

I think it might be possible, we'll see though, that's part of what makes it interesting...

Ribas did get KO'd by Viana who is a very awful striker, but that was before she went to ATT and levelled up her striking massively, also it was kind of a fluke where Ribas slipped on the mat then ate a combo to the face while her rhythm was disrupted; but it's still a nagging doubt in the back of the mind and we might get to see how she deals with someone throwing proper heat at her face under regular conditions now. On the flip side I think Ribas might get to sub M-Rod (since Marina got dominated on the mat in her last two fights).

So my picks are similar, McMann dec / Ribas sub / Eye SD (without the 'robbed' bit)

Interesting test for Ribas as we haven't seen her against a talented striker, providing she isn't chinny I see her subbing Rodriguez. We've seen Eye knocked out cold once and I can see it happening again, Jojo by headkick ko. Finally the Mom showdown, McMann is looking super happy with life, I'm taking her by decision.

Been thinking about the Foirot fight and her confidence level, she obviously thought "folk want to know about my gound game, so let's just take Leonardo down." Kind of reminded me of Valentina being so confident against Chook that she decided to put on a little exhibition of kicks, this is the wheel kick, this is the axe kick.

Mismatches can result from either a very weak opponent or a very good one. I don't think Leonardo is a bad fighter, so I'm still high on the French woman. As Buffer said to D.C. "I see Paris in our future."

I'm taking:

Hodriguez by TKO.
Eye by decision.
McMann by decision.

I got the feeling that Hibas is going to panic wrestle, which might secure her a decision. But I'm still taking Hodriguez. Won't count out Hibas, but I think we'll see her getting tested at the very least.

Eye is aware about the existence of head movement, Calderwood is only aware of the delusions in her head.

Peña is going up against someone better than her, at her own strength. McMann doesn't like to get punched, so she'll take Peña down eventually and secure enough control to win a decision. If you're taken down by Nicco Montaño, and gifting GDR a submission win, then McMann might be a rough match-up for you.

As usual, no analysis or even uneducated guesses, cause it would be futile, meaningless and probably wrong :)

Rooting for:
Ribas
Calderwood
McMann

And because they show McGregor cards as PPVs on my sports stream provider instead of including it in the basic package like every other UFC card, I'm going on full MMA-news lockdown once the prelims are over. So have fun wathcing the main card fights, you all. I'll catch them as soon as they hit Fightpass. Luckly nothing but the main event is going to be spoiled by regular media for me, so no harm will be done. :)

I have McMann by decision. Pena gets out grappled quite a bit for someone who’s supposed to be a good grappler, McMann will probably win just by staying on top.
I believe Eye will exploit Calderwood’s lack of wrestling for a fairly boring decision win.
Ribas should dominate Rodriguez on the ground, probably winning by submission.

Given my track record with predictions, bettors should probably go big on a Pena/Calderwood/Rodriguez parlay.

Ribas has better boxing and ground game, but I could see her getting overconfident and getting stuck at kicking or clinch range and losing a decision. Favouring Ribas but who knows?

The other 2 fights are complete coin flips, all 4 fighters are inconsistent and derpy as hell. It pretty much comes down to she who derps least/last, wins, and they're all fully capable of throwing away a fight that they have in the bag.

Being serious for a minute if Amanda Ribas weighs almost 144 lbs would that not make
her a middle sized Flyweight since most Flyweights weigh 145-150 lbs.

Just because I have not banged my head enough into the wall of your bullshit do you have a source for "most" flyweights weighing between 145-150 lbs?

I realize I already know the answer.

59570318.jpg

He is, in fact, most flyweights.

Source, please.

And yes, I am going to be picky. Largely because he pulls so much shit out of his ass. And he also gave a very narrow range for more than 800 fighters.

Back