Official Women's Division Discussion #27

If it means anything with Joselyne Edwards I was about ready to
recommend her to Invicta owner Shannon Knapp thinking maybe
she could do something with her since she was at least qualified
for that.

What do you guys think of Modaferri versus Araujo? This seems to me to be exactly the type of matchup that used to give Roxy problems, with Araujo seeming to be such a good athlete. However, I was struck when I watched the face off video by how much larger Modaferri appeared to be in comparison to Araujo, and with her rededication to strength and conditioning, I would expect she's stronger as well. I believe Araujo will exploit a speed advantage to have her moments on the feet, but I expect things to go rather badly for her once Roxy eventually gets her down. I like Araujo quite a bit, but I will never root against Roxy, and I think she takes this one, probably by stoppage in the second or third.

What do you guys think of Modaferri versus Araujo? This seems to me to be exactly the type of matchup that used to give Roxy problems, with Araujo seeming to be such a good athlete. However, I was struck when I watched the face off video by how much larger Modaferri appeared to be in comparison to Araujo, and with her rededication to strength and conditioning, I would expect she's stronger as well. I believe Araujo will exploit a speed advantage to have her moments on the feet, but I expect things to go rather badly for her once Roxy eventually gets her down. I like Araujo quite a bit, but I will never root against Roxy, and I think she takes this one, probably by stoppage in the second or third.

Ya I kind of feel it in my fingers (I feel it in my bones) that Rox (is all around us, and so the feeling grows) will win, maybe it's just because she's a big(ish) underdog again and started 2020 as a big underdog too (vs Barber)... Araujo came in with a lot of hype with a KO win and then beating Davis, but she has iffy cardio and mostly just swangs a big right hand so I think she's a little overrated. If Roxy gets her down, Araujo will be in trouble IMO. OK, Araujo beat up Montana DeLaRosa pretty easily in her last bout, which doesn't sound like a good omen for Roxy, but Roxy is way gutsier and more relentless with trying to force clinches and grappling than Montana seemed in that fight, soooooOOoooooooooººº°°´´¨....................... we'll see.

Go Roxy! Screw analysis, go with heart!

5861466c1500002200915e98.jpg

I think Vivi is too quick and powerful for Rox personally. She has a chance if she can drag her into deep waters but I think she's gonna get caught in the first round and then it's going to depend on how she can hang on, she's never been the best at not getting hit and Vivi hits hard for a FLW.

The difference in experience between these two thirty-somethings is immense. Does that count? On balance I'll go with Roxanne.

Foirot looked bigger and more athletic than Leonardo at the face-offs. Of course the Yanks have this sneaky wrassling thing, so I'll stay on the fence until someone tells me if Manon has a ground game or no.

One thing that I have not seen mentioned is that Roxy has a pretty good chin, also. So while she may get tagged she keeps coming forward.
I feel like Roxy’s size and durability at 125 is usually pretty underrated. Probably because of her getting finished at 135 in the past.
The difference in experience between these two thirty-somethings is immense. Does that count? On balance I'll go with Roxanne.

Foirot looked bigger and more athletic than Leonardo at the face-offs. Of course the Yanks have this sneaky wrassling thing, so I'll stay on the fence until someone tells me if Manon has a ground game or no.
https://fb.watch/37dihZyZoD/

Manon’s seems to be incredibly strong, she narrowly lost to Leah McCourt in a 138lb catchweight. This fight is against Cornelia Holm who is a wrestler who usually fights at 135&125, and is also a regular training partner of Pannie. Probably Manon’s best counter wrestling performance to date. If you have the chance to see it, Manon’s fight vs Amanda Lino is a good watch too.

Leonardo is a big flyweight though, so this will be an excellent test for Manon.

Something I was thinking about regarding Modaferri’s improved strength and conditioning; it seems to me that there are two schools of thought for female fighters in Japan. Some, like Fujii and Hamasaki, seem to be as serious about S&C as any of their western counterparts, while others, like Roxy when she was there, or Mizuki, seem to feel that sparring and rolling is all they need. I don’t watch much JMMA, so I’m wondering if there’s any basis to this, or if I’m way off base

Manon Fiorot / Victoria Leonardo -> Fiorot
Viviane Araújo / Roxanne Murdafferi -> ROXY

Sara McMannimal / Julianna Peña -> McMannimal
Amanda Ribas / Marina Rodriguez -> Ribas
Joanne Calderwood-Wood / Jessica Eye - > Eye

I feel like Roxy’s size and durability at 125 is usually pretty underrated. Probably because of her getting finished at 135 in the past.

Been a long time since that happened, though. Kaufman in 2010 via slam, and I cannot remember when the Ultimate Fighter loss was via slam but later than that. No official conventional stoppages via strikes, 3 via sub with the last one coming on 2011. So if this holds true during the fight Araujo will have to land damn well to change it.

Some ppl have mentioned Rox was getting r0x0red by 'Barb' Murphy not too long ago, age catching up....?

Something I was thinking about regarding Modaferri’s improved strength and conditioning; it seems to me that there are two schools of thought for female fighters in Japan. Some, like Fujii and Hamasaki, seem to be as serious about S&C as any of their western counterparts, while others, like Roxy when she was there, or Mizuki, seem to feel that sparring and rolling is all they need. I don’t watch much JMMA, so I’m wondering if there’s any basis to this, or if I’m way off base

Well, it used to be it was not really done much by women (at least strength training, plenty of conditioning work) but this appears to be changing lately. Also depends on where they train.

Wednesday January 20, 2021 - What the what? Yes Wednesday.

[MMA] UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs. Magny Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE
Main Card – ESPN / ESPN+ – 12:00pm ET / 9:00pm PT
Roxanne Modafferi vs. Viviane Araujo
Preliminary Card – ESPN / ESPN+ – 9:00am ET / 6:00am PT
Victoria Leonardo vs. Manon Fiorot

Friday January 22

[MMA/KICKBOXING] ONE Championship: Unbreakable Singapore
Main Card – BR Live (US) / YouTube – 7:30am ET / 4:30am PT
Bo Meng vs. Samara Santos (an atomweight bout)

[MMA] Armia Fight Night 9 Poland
Main Card – TVP Sport – 12:30pm ET / 9:30am PT
Klaudia Syguła vs. Karolina Sobek

Saturday January 23

[MMA] Strike Hard Productions 58 Trussville, Alabama, USA
Main Card – iPPV (StrikeHard.net) – 7:00pm ET / 4:00pm PT
Rebekah Rotenberry vs. Natalie Gage

[MMA] UFC 257: Poirier vs. McGregor 2 Abu Dhabi, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Main Card – PPV – 10:00pm ET / 7:00pm PT
Jessica Eye vs. Joanne Calderwood
Marina Rodriguez vs. Amanda Ribas
Preliminary Card – ESPN / ESPN+ – 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT