Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Could Ffion Davies make in the UFC? She already had some MMA fights and she's still young
Realistically, Ffion would need to devote herself fully into wrestling & striking classes today. If she stuck with it, in 4-6 months she could take an Invicta fight or 2. Pending on the results she could be UFC bound.

She is an amazing grappler but she clearly hasn’t trained much MMA in a few years, so while she could do well in MMA, she’d need to warm back up to it a bit.

Could Ffion Davies make in the UFC? She already had some MMA fights and she's still young

Ffion's recent take.

“Every time I watch MMA I’d be like: “I want to do it again” because I started with MMA to begin with but then I got so into Jiu-Jitsu and with how things were developing for me with Jiu-Jitsu, I thought that’s all I would want to be doing.”

“When Covid happened and everything was shutting down, MMA was still going. Everything closed but somehow cagefighting managed to keep going. That intrigued me again as I’ve been watching more MMA and stuff. I did a couple of striking classes, enjoyed it and yeah, I don’t know, I might. I’ll see how it goes, if I can tolerate being punched in the face, or learn to dodge.”

“I’m very far away from that point. I’m very much of the mindset that it’s a completely different sport and you can’t just wander in there and start winning or do well. I think sometimes, not just Jiu-Jitsu people but it can apply to any martial art I suppose, people just think: “Oh, I can hop into MMA and make a bunch of money.” If i was going to do it, I want to take it very seriously. I want to be very good and rounded, obviously grappling is going to be my strong suit but I wouldn’t want to go in there thinking: “I know, I’ll just dodge getting punched, take them down and submit them.” I don’t want it to be like that, I want it to be something I take seriously and do because I’m passionate about, not because of other ulterior motives.”

https://jitsmagazine.com/ffion-davies-interview/

Last edited:
Ffion's recent take.

“Every time I watch MMA I’d be like: “I want to do it again” because I started with MMA to begin with but then I got so into Jiu-Jitsu and with how things were developing for me with Jiu-Jitsu, I thought that’s all I would want to be doing.”

“When Covid happened and everything was shutting down, MMA was still going. Everything closed but somehow cagefighting managed to keep going. That intrigued me again as I’ve been watching more MMA and stuff. I did a couple of striking classes, enjoyed it and yeah, I don’t know, I might. I’ll see how it goes, if I can tolerate being punched in the face, or learn to dodge.”

“I’m very far away from that point. I’m very much of the mindset that it’s a completely different sport and you can’t just wander in there and start winning or do well. I think sometimes, not just Jiu-Jitsu people but it can apply to any martial art I suppose, people just think: “Oh, I can hop into MMA and make a bunch of money.” If i was going to do it, I want to take it very seriously. I want to be very good and rounded, obviously grappling is going to be my strong suit but I wouldn’t want to go in there thinking: “I know, I’ll just dodge getting punched, take them down and submit them.” I don’t want it to be like that, I want it to be something I take seriously and do because I’m passionate about, not because of other ulterior motives.”

https://jitsmagazine.com/ffion-davies-interview/

I think maybe people like Mackenzie could inspire her

Moras/Melo was awful, a WMMA hater's textbook stereotypical WMMA fight in real time.
I've always lowkey rooted for Moras, (despite, or maybe partly because of, her being rubbish), managing to stick around the UFC so long, but if her fight style is now running away & screaming as loud as she can while pawing at the air (aka 'doing a chook'), I'm not that upset that the Hunam Resources department are finally about to take her out the back and put her out of her misery. Awful to watch, even worse to listen to.

At least Edwards/Wu Yer Nan was entertaining... Panama 100% win record vs China in WMMA, watch out Weili

Last edited:
Both underdogs won by unanimous decision.

Vanessa Melo vs. Sarah Moras. Melo tried to fight. Moras ran in circles, rarely connecting on any strikes.

Joselyne Edwards vs. Yanan Wu. Decent scrap. Good ufc debut for Edwards. Kept her composure, got some reversals and threw hard. Stated focused on offense.

The Shevcenko's might have forgotten we are in a pandemic right now.

It's Florida. It's pretty much wide open there and infection rates are well below the national average and falling.
Also, it's Florida.
200.gif

So how tall is the latest Nunes? The UFC seem to think that if they sign enough Brazilian bantams they'll find a replacement for Amanda.

I guess Moras is busy reapplying for her old job at Canada Post.

Leonardo vs Foirot has the makings of a barnburner though.

So how tall is the latest Nunes? The UFC seem to think that if they sign enough Brazilian bantams they'll find a replacement for Amanda.

I guess Moras is busy reapplying for her old job at Canada Post.

Leonardo vs Foirot has the makings of a barnburner though.

The only way she'll ever deliver an entertaining fight is if someone orders a PRIDE DVD.

Don't know anything about her but they need BWs, looks to be a finisher albeit a can crusher per her tapology.

Josi is a bit a of a can crusher, but she ain’t one of the usual terrible ones. I’d liken her to Taila Santos, a can crusher who has skill. Josi has fought at 155 & 145 before as well, and she seems pretty muscular at 5’6”, so I don’t think she’ll be undersized. She is a decent natural athlete, she is a patient kickboxer at her best. Has power in her hands & feet, nice leg kicks in particular. Her TDD is a bit suspect I think, but she is good at surviving on the ground, and her cardio did save her against Dione Barbosa. (Easily her best win)

This is her fight against Arielle Ribeiro. Ribeiro is a chute box fighter who gave Josi the kind of fight she wants.

This is her fight against Dione Barbosa, who’s a bigger grappler. It’s easily Josi’s best performance if you by effort she had to put in to win.

Back