Official Women's Division Discussion #27

I'm curious is Joselyne Edwards a reputable fighter since there always is one or two outside
of UFC or Bellator that are either reputable or really exceptional but not signed.

Ribas has star potential:
-cute
-interesting personality
-funny quirks
-very well rounded and skilled
-so far dominated all fights in UFC
-got ducked by Esparza, then Waterson
-Rodriguez some months ago said she didn't even want to fight Ribas.
Why does the UFC keep insisting on investing in frauds like Dern and Brapper? Why can't they see where the stars are at?

-cute
-interesting personality
-funny quirks
Why does the UFC keep insisting on investing in frauds like Dern and Brapper? Why can't they see where the stars are at?

I'm a Ribas fan too, but Dern isn't a fraud, she's the best bjj girl to ever put on four ounce mitts - that's what makes the dominant win over Dern so impressive. BTW our resident hype police would disagree about the UFC not pushing Amanda. More to the point, who is Brapper?

I'm a Ribas fan too, but Dern isn't a fraud, she's the best bjj girl to ever put on four ounce mitts - that's what makes the dominant win over Dern so impressive. BTW our resident hype police would disagree about the UFC not pushing Amanda. More to the point, who is Brapper?
The ground game of Dern is probably the strongest, the problem with Dern is that she doesn't have any way of bring people to her game, she almost always somehow ends up in the ground(like against Randa Markos 1 digit fight IQ) instead of taking them to the ground.
tumblr_pzcf0tRSMr1rvcjd7o1_400.gifv

Just look at her stats in ufcstats, they're ATROCIOUS for a grappler. 0.28 TD Avg? 5% TD Acc?
The most astonishing part is how she decided that her problem isn't her takedowns but her STRIKING, wtf? Why would you work in something you'll probably never be good at instead of working in your strenghts? It's like being a pure striker and working on how to do submissions instead of takedown defense.
The UFC is clearly playing favorites.
After being defeated by Ribas, Dern had 3 wins in 2020, earning 335,000. Ribas had 2 wins in 2020, earning 67,500.
Maycee Barber has one loss in 2020 and already had half as much as Ribas, this is ridiculous.
btw Brapper is the nickname of Maycee Barber, kek.

Wait you don’t think Ribas is getting a push?!

<36>

They gave her the PVZ fight IN A DIFFERENT WEIGHTCLASS. They were planning on feeding her Waterson before that fell through. She was sitting cageside with Dana during Fight Island.

The UFC is on the Ribas train and are planning on pushing her to the top. If you can’t see that you are blind

Last edited:
Wait you don’t think Ribas is getting push?!

<36>

They gave her the PVZ fight IN A DIFFERENT WEIGHTCLASS. They were planning on feeding her Waterson before that fell through. She was sitting cageside with Dana during Fight Island.

The UFC is on the Ribas train and are planning on pushing her to the top. If you can’t see that you are blind
To add to that they specifically put her on a damn Conor card. All she has to do is put on a stellar performance and she is on her way to being a star.

The ground game of Dern is probably the strongest, the problem with Dern is that she doesn't have any way of bring people to her game, she almost always somehow ends up in the ground(like against Randa Markos 1 digit fight IQ) instead of taking them to the ground.
tumblr_pzcf0tRSMr1rvcjd7o1_400.gifv

Just look at her stats in ufcstats, they're ATROCIOUS for a grappler. 0.28 TD Avg? 5% TD Acc?
The most astonishing part is how she decided that her problem isn't her takedowns but her STRIKING, wtf? Why would you work in something you'll probably never be good at instead of working in your strenghts? It's like being a pure striker and working on how to do submissions instead of takedown defense.
The UFC is clearly playing favorites.
After being defeated by Ribas, Dern had 3 wins in 2020, earning 335,000. Ribas had 2 wins in 2020, earning 67,500.
Maycee Barber has one loss in 2020 and already had half as much as Ribas, this is ridiculous.
btw Brapper is the nickname of Maycee Barber, kek.

I agree that Dern needs to be working on takedowns but the fact that Ribas is being paid too little doesn't mean that Dern is paid too much.

Dern came into the UFC on $25k show money, which was hardly excessive for someone who was undefeated in mma and a huge name in bjj. Now after 6 fights she's moved up to $41k show and her 2020 earnings are inflated by two fotn bonuses, both of which she deserved.

Ribas was still on the basic entry level contract, debuting at $10k and moving up gradually with wins, in fairness it needed to be re-negotiated after the Dern fight. Barber also started at $10k but got a big step up in her third fight. I guess Bucky is just a tougher negotiator than Alex Davis.

I thought Barber's nick was The Future or was that in the past?

I agree that Dern needs to be working on takedowns but the fact that Ribas is being paid too little doesn't mean that Dern is paid too much.

Dern came into the UFC on $25k show money, which was hardly excessive for someone who was undefeated in mma and a huge name in bjj. Now after 6 fights she's moved up to $41k show and her 2020 earnings are inflated by two fotn bonuses, both of which she deserved.

Ribas was still on the basic entry level contract, debuting at $10k and moving up gradually with wins, in fairness it needed to be re-negotiated after the Dern fight. Barber also started at $10k but got a big step up in her third fight. I guess Bucky is just a tougher negotiator than Alex Davis.

I thought Barber's nick was The Future or was that in the past?
It certainly means she's preferred by the UFC compared to Ribas. The fact that Maycee's defeat is worth a Ribas's win is just shocking.
And her nickname is brapper on 4chan

-cute
-interesting personality
-funny quirks

you're right about Ribas having 'star potential' but wrong about everything else.

- UFC can very well recognise her 'star potential', that's why they booked her against PVZ - big name, easy fight and UFC didn't want her anymore; even when PVZ withdrew a few times they didn't find a new opponent but made sure Ribas got her prey - why do you think they wanted that? - the plan worked (it doesn't always), everyone saw PVZ get smashed and Ribas got over huge. After that she was all over promo material, even getting to be Daddy Dana's new best friend for a bit at Fight Island, I don't think that was just for him to sleaze on her but to tell her how they were gonna push her to the moon (another fighter who got that treatment around the same time was Khamzat, who now has a main event lined up despite having no ranked wins). The UFC are also getting her featured in commercials for mainstream companies/products, increasing her profile and her income (beyond the fight purses). Are they doing that for Barber/Dern?
They then tried booking her directly vs a title contender (Carla), which would be a big jump up the rankings and straight into title contention if she won; then found another big name/higher ranked fighter who was an easy win (Waterson), even when that fell through they made sure to give her another ranked, relevant opponent (Rodriguez) on shortish notice and booked that fight on....
....the MAIN CARD of a Conman McGregor show, that's the biggest possible exposure for a fighter, now why do you think they chose to put her in that slot, over every other possible girl who would have wanted it?
What the more do you think they should do to promote her?

- Esparza didn't duck Ribas, she got offered a short notice title shot and accepted, it fell through for unknown reasons; now she's in limbo as the UFC is trying to book Rose/Weili while using Carla as a pawn to threaten Rose with in negotiations - that they'll give Carla the shot instead (even though Carla deserves it more, the 'fans' would much rather see Rose) if she doesn't come to terms.

- Dern isn't a 'fraud', she's a very highly credentialed BJJ fighter and undefeated in MMA except for Ribas (why do people always trash the fighter they're trying to hype's best win? :D OK, she's a fraud, therefore Ribas has no good wins; why are you so keen on her then? :D), ranked #11, I see her kicking around the top 10 long term; just beat a very good fighter who is also top 10 material; even if she currently has some limitations to her game, she carries a dangerous weapon at all times into the ring - kind of like a HW boxer with huge KO power, an omnipresent sense of danger - which is rare in WMMA, so whoever you are you have to bring your A game and not fuck up bigly because it could end in an instant (ask Randa or Cifers about that).

I don't like being an asshole (no really! I don't!..... OK maybe just a little, sometimes) but if you don't think UFC are investing heavily in Ribas, and are more invested in Dern or Barber over her at present, you're blind as f00k.

Last edited:

They even gave Ribas a main card spot on a Conor PPV. That is a push if I ever saw one.

Usually the third fight on a main card is the weakest but man, they had to put Eye/Calderwood in that slot? Especially after what a fun WMMA fight Ribas/Rodriguez will be? Alright then.

Usually the third fight on a main card is the weakest but man, they had to put Eye/Calderwood in that slot? Especially after what a fun WMMA fight Ribas/Rodriguez will be? Alright then.

yeah I kinda wish they'd have put Ribas/Rodriguez in that slot over Eye/Calderwood. I get that Eye/Calderwood are higher ranked, established, bigger names, and go higher up the card based on recognition, but I don't think they're exactly going to add many sales to a Conman PPV. Eye gets huge disrespect from the fans - too much IMO, and Calderwood gets a bit too much love - but this fight has 'dull sparring match' written all over it, and both of them have had their time in the sun IMO. I can already sense the 'lol WMMA' 'why is this fight on the main card?' posts from here...

on the other hand I can't imagine Ribas/Rodriguez being anything but entertaining... they aren't big enough names to go higher up the card, and they're on the card to promote the winner so they can start doing that (Ribas, the UFC hopes)... but why not be a little bolder and put them even higher up so even more people get to see it... not like you're gonna lose 5% of sales for moving Eye lower down the card, and Rodriguez up even though she's relatively unknown or anything.... but oh well.

Fuck. Main card slots for both women's fights? Last time Conor headlinen, the fucktards switched from "included in the package I pay for Premier League anyway so UFC is philosophically free" to PPV here - probably will try for the McGregor money again. Oh well, then it's just spoiler avoidance for 48 hours and Fightpass, no biggie.

Fuck you McGregor!

Back