Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Loved how Delboni punished Alesha’s takedowns with elbows, vintage Joanna stuff. I’m honestly confused how Alesha has problems making 105, she’s been visibly smaller than all of her opponents.

Alesha Zappitella could be to MMA what Heather Hardy is to Boxing which is basically packs a lot of pounds into a smaller frame which can make weight cutting
a difficult exercise requiring a move up in weight eventually.

Alesha Zappitella could be to MMA what Heather Hardy is to Boxing which is basically packs a lot of pounds into a smaller frame which can make weight cutting
a difficult exercise requiring a move up in weight eventually.
Go rewatch the Phoenix Tournament last year. She’s average size for her weight class

Damn, Tiburcio looks like she's trying to make it into PFL's weight class.

[VARIOUS] ONE Championship: Heavy Hitters Singapore
Straweight: Supergirl Jaroonsak Muaythai vs. Ekaterina Vandaryeva – Muay Thai

[MUAY THAI / MMA] Lumpinee Fairtex Fight: New Era Thailand
MMA: Jada Ketley vs. Apidet Fairtex

Into both of these fights.

I had posted here when ONE signed the Jarronsak sisters that I thought Supergirl was the better of the two. She just seems faster & more durable/confident than her sister, has beat better opponents, and her losses are less embarrassing (and also against better opponents). Both of the sisters have actually dangerous punching power, and despite not having much depth to her game and pretty poor footwork Supergirl is fast and rangy enough to still land on a more skilled fighter.

Supergirl has never had to fight someone as big as the Belarus Barbie though. Vandaryeva has been fighting at a higher level for a long time; Vandaryeva has wins over Sofia Olofsson & Joanna Jedrzejczyk versus Supergirl's best wins being against other teenagers (Erin Harbinger & Pim A Run probably?). You could also argue that Vandaryeva's best wins were questionable decisions, and that Supergirl's close losses to Smilla Sundell & Hongkhao are actually a better look. This is a good fight despite the age difference.

----------------------------------------
I also like Ketley vs Aphidet too despite it being 0-1 vs 0-0. Unlike most of the Thai fighters to switch to mma, Aphidet hasn't been doing mauy thai since she was a child (started just four-five years ago)... so even her standup game is a work in progress. Aphidet doesn't know anything about defense, her boxing kind of sucks, but she is aggressive, doesn't seem to get discouraged or mind being hit, and is just violent if she's close enough to land elbows. She has nice kicking mechanics, and seems strong in the clinch which hopefully translates to grappling in a similar way as her teammate Stamp. She's only been training for mma a year though, which is why it's surprising to me that Fairtex is throwing her in against Ketley in her first pro fight. Stamp had amateur fights, and really eased her way into competition, but Aphidet might be getting thrown into the deep end.

Ketley had been training for mma/grappling almost as long as Aphidet has been doing muay thai, and also Ketley was fighting at a higher weight class in muay thai against better fighters than Aphidet. It's kind of bold matchmaking on Fairtex's part in terms of experience, but at the same time... the girls that started training mma out of that Fairtex gym (Stamp, Noelle Grandjean, Chloe Cooke) all come off to me as top shelf prospects.

For whatever reason Aphidet has more tiktok followers than any other Thai lady fighter that I'm aware of including Rika, Stamp, Loma, Phetjeeja, the Jaroonsak or Looksaikongdin sisters, any of the Channel 8 girls, etc. Here she is at the press conference for this event.

This was one of the fights I looking forward too. Both Akin & Rand are somewhat notable kickboxers getting into mma.

I bought this show because it dropped down to $25 (which is still too high for regional mma), and is on a streaming service that I trust more in fite.tv. The show looked a bit more appealing when Ashley Nichols, Maria Silva, and Rand/Akin were all on the card, but still wanna support a wmma promotion that is trying to bring in international fighters with legit combat sport backgrounds. Hopefully they don't run out of money immediately.

Last edited:
Back