Official Women's Division Discussion #27

People talk a lot of trash about the talent level at 125 but as you can see non athletic slow fighters are being phased out. We can't say the same for 135 and 145. This is what has me not as high on Erin anymore. I see her as low on the athlete scale. That will catch up to her sooner or later and I'm as big of an Erin fan as they come. I been on her train since EBI but I got to be truthful.

Santos is legit. And it had to happen one day that JoJo's tendency of getting punched in the face a lot means hard punches land.

Glad that Pinhero won.

And the turgidly biased commentary team having a gigantic circle jerk about Viera really soured me on what would otherwise have been a good fight and even more soured me on the victory. That was One Fc level of shit. Also, didn't realize before how gigantic Viera was there and how tiny Tate was. But a win's a win.

And now Cormier in the cage telling Tate it was a "great fight" after the shitshow they did in the announce booth... Heh, at least he has balls to make up for the lack of backbone.

4/4 today,
Pinheiro really looked underwelming i have little doubt Penne could gased her to a comeback 29-28 after that level drop, luckily she got a weaker opponent.

Loopy looked good did exactly what I expected, Loma made her work for the td but she still not there yet.

Santos finished with a sub but the ko/tko was there too.

I thought there'd be more grappling in the main but like I said Vieira was stronger everywhere and tate tuffness couldn't bridge the gap. Vieira also made this harder on herself I feel like she has flashbacks to Aldana right hands when anyone throws a weak punch at her.

Edit : Santos won the obvious 50k, and the cheap ufc didn't award a 2nd one tonight.

Last edited:
It looks like everyone being hesitant about Tate 2.0 were right. I am a casual now so I was not really playing super close attention but it seemed like Tate was trying to be calculated and she has never been good at that. She needs to muck things up and create scrambles.

And the turgidly biased commentary team having a gigantic circle jerk about Viera really soured me on what would otherwise have been a good fight and even more soured me on the victory. That was One Fc level of shit. Also, didn't realize before how gigantic Viera was there and how tiny Tate was. But a win's a win.

Huh. During the first 2-3 rounds there were several comments about the commentary being biased in favor of Tate. And I think it was, at least early in the fight.

Maybe Vieira recognised that the only reason she got knocked out cold by Aldana, was her own willingness to swang and bang, and her lack of discipline. If you don't swing wildly at Aldana and stand right in front of her, she's not knocking you out, not even down. Unfortunately, that's what Ketlen did and paid for it. She's overly cautious now, scared of getting hit.

I say she should consider Pennington or Ladd next.

McCann, Robertson, and Modafferi made it to the bell with Santos. Wood couldn't make it past the first round, her Dana White privilege will likely run out after this loss. Feed her to Manon Fiorot next.

Santos vs Murphy or the winner of Chookagian vs Maia.

Even on the feet Loopy was piercing up Loma from boxing range.

Hope to see great things from Loopy in the future. Always cool to see active fighter in a sport that fighters normally fight twice a year.

Not sure what to do with Loma, is she perpetually trapped in alternating UD win and loss until she eventually gets cut from the UFC?
She is one of the smallest in the division, but her boxing and wrestling still need a lot of works.

Missed the first fight, will need to watch it later.

Loma vs. Loopy was interesting. Loma was defending well against the clinch takedowns which was expected since she's a Muay Thai champ, trying to work her in the clinch is not a fun time as Loopy found out in the 1st round. So she adjusted and went after the legs & hips to plant Loma on her back, and from there it was a wrap. I think Loopy's one of the better wrestlers at 115 and she has the potential to give a lot of fighters trouble.

JoJo's point fighting and lack of defence got her creamed. She doesn't sit down on her strikes and throw to hurt until it's too late, she was throwing weak slappy kicks and arm punches at Taila and it didn't take long for Santos to give her the respect she deserved (none). Once she realized JoJo's strikes had nothing on them, she just stepped in and blasted her out of there with clean power punches, Wood's complete lack of head movement & defence made her a pretty easy target. The finish was pretty much academic.

Looking at the 125 rankings, I'd say put her right in there against Valentina. Andrea Lee doesn't want the title fight and everyone ahead of JoJo already got wrecked by the champ.

Main event was just frustratingly bad. Both fighters decided to do the things that they sucked the worst at doing, and kept doing it for most of the fight. Ketlen was trying to be an outside counterstriker and fighting like Tate had the KO power of Amanda Nunes. Tate was also playing the outside striking game and doing who knows what. No real attempts to pressure, push the pace, or wrestle against an opponent who's shown questionable cardio in the past. Tate has poor striking and no punching power, Ketlen should've just walked her down and wailed on her with punches. Ketlen's corner sounded pretty pissed with her for being so passive, I don't blame them.

Finally,
You can't take the oil check out of a wrestler
oil-check-1-jpg.892210

Crud, forgot Loopy from my first comments. Loopy's cool, glad she got the win and hopefully UFC remembers a good worker now with the new contract =)

Huh. During the first 2-3 rounds there were several comments about the commentary being biased in favor of Tate. And I think it was, at least early in the fight.

For me it seemed like they were talking good things about Tate in general to make the Viera's victory they were pushing feel bigger when it happens - and kept on dropping "we have pre-decided Viera is winning but judges might fail our narrative" type of side comments. Anyway, should not complain as we all know they aren't there to be real sportscasters, and instead as WWE type of hypemen/builders of stories. But just for some reason irked me a great deal (too much).

Weekend highlights.

Rena & Yamamoto gave a memorable fight to fans in Okinawa, which was hosting its first Rizin event.

In Fight Club Rush, exciting prospect Josefine Knutsson ran through Lanchana Green. Thanks @Hellowhosthat for the reminder to watch.

In the UFC, Pinheiro did what was expected by beating Hughes. Godinez continues her momentum. I wish the smaller Loma was showcasing her muay thai skills in an atomweight division. Santos was awarded a POTN bonus by steamrolling Wood. In the main event Viera earned the victory in round five by smashing Tate's nose.

Thought the commentary gave Tate the best treatment they could come up with. She needs to stick to lower level competition, or retire again. Plastic surgery is expensive, and, according to her, there's not much left over after her super expensive fight camps.

Why risk a fresh contender against fighters who've already had their chance and came up short? The champ needs to eat too, give Taila the immediate title shot.

Might as well, since Murphy got her shot after edging out a close split against Wood, and Santos marked her. However, I think Santos is STILL yet to face the top contenders, I've said it time and time again, that Wood is overrated, and below average. Beating Roxy is more meaningful than beating Jojo, and Santos couldn't finish Roxy.

Regardless if she faces another fighter after, or challenges Valentina, the result will be the same lol. Santos doesn't beat Shevchenko, her defense is lacking a bit.

Back