Official Women's Division Discussion #27

I bet the matchmakers forgot to be as diligent and you and skipped the check if they had already fought.
The rematch was due to necessity more than anything. She was complaining about no one accepting a fight with her a few days ago. I am guessing Maia is the only one available or willing to at this moment.

Well that's certainly up there on the list of rematches nobody asked for.

Generally speaking if I have to double check that they fought a first time it's not a good sign to get excited for a rematch.

TBF… Chook fought almost every ranked girl on division. I don’t think there are many fights left for her other then rematches

Thanks for this I have no idea how to make GIFs.
I'm just recording snippets when playing back the fight in VLCplayer then uploading them to a gif site (I use gfycat, because it has cute cats and makes funny filenames for the gifs).

Sorry for the late reply I went to sleep early like the old man that I am.

effortpoasting is hard and time consuming (and then noone reads it anyway), that's why it's better to save your energy and make short shitposts instead (or do it while at work and unsupervised, like me now ;) ).

The first one she did not run the pipe down the middle. She is the one who spun her opponent toward the fence.
it was Loopy leading the dance during the leg catch in round two. For this leg kick she actually did run it down the pipe. You can see it because they both go straight back and Loopy used her left hand to help guide Carloina straight back.

Running the pipe isn't a forward/back motion, it's a circular/centrifugal where you take a big circular step back with your outside leg while pressing down on their leg (kinda like a shot put in reverse).

Since Loopy was loopin' in a circle while also pressing down on Carolina's leg, I have to assume that's what she was trying to achieve here (why else would someone move like that? - if her aim was to drive her against the fence from the beginning, she would have just kept pushing forward while opponent was on 1 leg). The 'spinning around' is the takedown attempt itself. Carolina hopped in a circle to maintain balance, so she was having to follow Loopy's 'lead'. A common follow-up if the opponent doesn't fall while you're whirling them around is to try and grab the other leg (because while they're hopping, it should come near enough to grab). Since Carolina didn't go down from running the pipe, but hopped about, Loopy drove in and tried to grab the leg below the knee to finish the takedown. But that drive took them against the fence so she could progress no further in that direction, and Carolina started hammerfisting the shit out of her, so she went back to the other leg and peeled her off the fence (she did then push her back on to the fence, probably because Carolina still didn't go down and she wanted a moment to think about what to do next while also keeping control of Carolina). That's my read of what she's trying to do there.
PaleGrimEnglishpointer-size_restricted.gif

if you've got 10 mins you can see this and various other moves demonstrated as a series/chain here (and if you have 10 more minutes beyond that, some stuff about 'that thing where they lift the leg higher')

The end of the 3rd round they found themselves in a somewhat similar position. Since you know how to make GIF its around the 35 second left mark of the 3rd.
SizzlingEverlastingInsect-size_restricted.gif

This is when she tried something different... Also if you noticed this situation combined both things I was talking about. This time she did not wait for her opponent to reset after avoiding the kick she instantly attacked.

the difference I see here is in the other clip Loopy was moving backwards to evade the kick, so she was out of range while Carolina was resetting. In this case, Loopy stood her ground and moved her left hand down to try and catch the kick when she sensed one was coming. Then she realised (fast reflexes!) it was coming high and ducked (if she tried going backward this time, it'd have nailed her in the head). So when Carolina was 'resetting', Loopy was already there ready to attack. I do think Loopy was constantly dropping her left hand trying to catch those kicks throughout the fight so I don't think it's fair to say she didn't do it enough and this was an 'exception'. If anything the time when she backed out was more exceptional. But if trying to catch the kicks was all she ever did, a smart opponent would read it, fake a kick then punch (or kick) her head off when she dropped the left to catch it (indeed maybe that's what Carolina was doing trying there). Maybe 'full camp Loopy' with enough drilling/prep work could have done a better job catching the kicks other times though (she seemed a bit unsure about it most of the time).

The knee she took has nothing to do with the overall premise of my initial post. She took the knee because she decided to try and catch the kick. That is just a hazzard of trying to catch a kick. My post was about her constantly pushing her opponent back to the cage instead of trying a blast double leg or trip.

I'm just bringing it up to hilight the dangers she would face closing in and not want to charge in all the time unless she feels 'safe'. If she's getting kneed in the head while standing up straight it'd be even worse if she was ducking down into it.

I am glad you did this GIF last though. This helps a previous point I made that it was Loopy leading the dance during the leg catch in round two. For this leg kick she actually did run it down the pipe. You can see it because they both go straight back and Loopy used her left hand to help guide Carloina straight back. Notice she did not do this for the kick catch in round two. As you can see Carolina let her do it because she had no choice she just had to counter what Loopy was doing.
(reposting that gif for discussion)
MinorAdolescentGoldeneye-size_restricted.gif

I see these the other way round: in rd 1 Loopy literally does just push her back against the fence (which isn't 'running the pipe', or even a TD attempt; possibly she was trying to pull down on Carolina's head to try break her posture and run her down though) and got stuck there. However on that occasion, while against the fence Carolina eventually cupped Loopy's head with both hands, so Loopy was able to drop down and maniuplate the legs (using one leg as a lever to peel Carolina off the cage a bit and bring the other leg close enough for a double - similar to the 'run the pipe change to 2' sequence in the other gif). If Carolina had been pulling up on Loopy's arms (which she did most of the rest of the time,after this), Loop wouldn't have been able to try that.

In the rd 2 gif Loopy actually was trying to TD her right away before they got to the fence (by running the pipe) then changing off, quite similar to how she actually succeeded in rd 1 at the end of this gif. But in rd 2, when they got stuck against the fence, Loopy got stuck bent over with Carolina's weight on top of her and Luana's legs far apart (so she couldn't finish an attack on 2 legs and had to go back to attacking just 1).

So I'd say it's the opposite: Loopy actually did 'just push her against the fence' in the 1st round clip, and was trying to TD her immediately away from the fence in the 2nd round clip; in both cases Carolina had to 'counter' to begin with either time (by moving backwards in one, or hopping to maintain balance in the other), but then it was Carolina's choice to go for a thai clinch in the 1st that opened up the TD later in the sequence; in round 2 she made the choice to keep her weight on Loopy, or pulled up hard with overhooks so she couldn't get to her knees.

Last edited:
When I sign up for gfycat should I also sign up for photobucket or something like that? Any tips for protecting privacy? Also, I don't use 'junk' or 'burner' email accounts because I never check them (and find them a hassle). Mainly just want to occasionally post gifs for amusement. If it helps, I usually post from my desktop imac. Thanks in advance. :)

When I sign up for gfycat should I also sign up for photobucket or something like that? Any tips for protecting privacy? Also, I don't use 'junk' or 'burner' email accounts because I never check them (and find them a hassle). Mainly just want to occasionally post gifs for amusement. If it helps, I usually post from my desktop imac. Thanks in advance. :)
I use Imgur for hosting. I also have GifCam which is free and very easy to use. If I need to edit or add any effects/text, I use ezgif.com.

UR7SLTw.gif

Last edited:
My head says,
This is going to be a big win for KGB her ttd is pretty good her standup is better.
But my heart says:
Cynthia please get her arm and break it.

Andrea Lee will win the fight until she figures out how to throw it away.

I look forward to this the way I looked forward to the Holm vs. Pennington rematch.
Maybe we can have an Eye vs. Chookagian rematch while we're at it.

I’d kinda like to see a fight between Fiorot and Barber. Barber seems to me to largely depend on physicality in her fights, it would be interesting to see how that would work out against the physical presence of Fiorot.

What to do with a problem like Chookagian? She's had her title shot and is very expensive for the UFC, especially when she wins ($150k?). They don't seem prepared to test any of the young guns against her and I'd guess that only the purest of purists look forward to her fights.

I can't believe that any of the prospects would turn down the chance of fighting the number 2 ranked flyweight. I think Maynard uses the rankings as a matchmaking tool, which is poison to me and just slows things down to a snail's pace.

What to do with a problem like Chookagian? She's had her title shot and is very expensive for the UFC, especially when she wins ($150k?). They don't seem prepared to test any of the young guns against her and I'd guess that only the purest of purists look forward to her fights.

I can't believe that any of the prospects would turn down the chance of fighting the number 2 ranked flyweight. I think Maynard uses the rankings as a matchmaking tool, which is poison to me and just slows things down to a snail's pace.

Chook is quite the dilemma. She’s like FLW Jon Fitch. She is going to beating on most fighters coming up but she isn’t good enough to fight the champ.

However she is a striker who willing to bang, willing to fight short notice, fight frequently, and never misses weight so tiring her doesn’t make sense.

Perhaps try having her take fights up a division

I’d kinda like to see a fight between Fiorot and Barber. Barber seems to me to largely depend on physicality in her fights, it would be interesting to see how that would work out against the physical presence of Fiorot.

I'd rather see one of them fighting Chookagian. Fiorot especially is almost the same age and can't wait around for the usual sluggish matchmaking to progress up the rankings. Give her the chance.

I suspect Chookagian like most #2 ranked fighters won't be interested in fights outside of the top ten, let alone unranked fighters with no upside.
The rankings are supposed to be a matching tool, I don't know why maynard wouldn't use them. Can't say I favor your idea of throw every untested prospect at the #2 fighter and pray for an upset, which is going to result in alot of derailed prospects.

I'dlike to see Fiorot get a better fight, I wrote Roxanne in another thread because she's available, then I was hoping she'd jump in to fight Lee. Maybe she could match up with Eye now too.

Chook is quite the dilemma. She’s like FLW Jon Fitch. She is going to beating on most fighters coming up but she isn’t good enough to fight the champ.

However she is a striker who willing to bang, willing to fight short notice, fight frequently, and never misses weight so tiring her doesn’t make sense.

Perhaps try having her take fights up a division

The problem is, these hoes are scared of fighting her. Not afraid of HER, but afraid their shit will get halted like it was for Antonina, Joanne, Cynthia, and Vivi. Katlyn has said multiple times that she'll fight whoever, and is even willing to take fights at Bantamweight. She's not the problem; these other fighters not being able to beat her IS the problem. She's got movement, volume, height, reach, sound effects, and is good at defensive grappling. A nightmare fight for the average and below average fighters.

Katlyn already fought Antonina when they were ranked #1 and #15 respectively. She was willing to fight Alexa Grasso, when she was ranked OUTSIDE the Top 10 too. Murphy ducked her, and keeps ducking her for a good reason. Calderwood wants no part of her either. Andrade is running back to 115. Calvillo lost back to back, she doesn't need a third loss in a row.

So you feed her "prospects" that will be derailed, or you give her the only woman who is willing to work her way up for a rematch with Valentina. Otherwise you're left with people you don't want to climb up the rankings: Roxy, Eye, etc.

Last edited:
I'd call losing to the number 2 a learning experience not "derailing a prospect". It's not as if they're going to suffer some career changing beating as might happen in the larger men's division. Infact I'd say matching two young guns is more likely to derail a prospect.

I dislike using the rankings as a hard and fast matchmaking tool, what might be fine for wrestling or bjj doesn't work in the fight game, where you only compete 3 or 4 times a year at most. The logic of 14vs15 is that it takes 4 or 5 years to reach the top spot.

The Eye vs Maia fight was a good example of a pointless fight. Instead they could have matched them with prospects. No-one would have batted an eyelid at, say, Maia vs Maverick if they were still in Invicta, but we've fetishised the rankings so now it's somehow unthinkable in the UFC.

Back