Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Oh and I checked out Elle Wagman and Nayara Maia's fights on the weekend, even thought they're both undefeated they both look pretty garbage to me.

She already has a face tattoo, so she's going to have to be good at fighting.

I had been following her for awhile, because she had been sponsored by that Fairtex gym in Thailand for almost two years, and has more than a decade of judo experience. Seems like a physical tank for atomweight also.

'we've screwed you over a lot lately, but happy birthday!!!'

(on the positive side, it does mean she's in their 'thoughts and prayers' - title shot finally incoming soon? ;) )

No idea what the UFC thinks but she should have had the shot instead of Zhang.

She already has a face tattoo, so she's going to have to be good at fighting.

I had been following her for awhile, because she had been sponsored by that Fairtex gym in Thailand for almost two years, and has more than a decade of judo experience. Seems like a physical tank for atomweight also.
Been thinking the same thing: hasn’t even made her debut and has a face tat? She better be good

Do Marina Vs Joanna in a #1 contenders fight for the shot after Carla and do Dern Vs Xiaonan imo.
I like all 3 of these matches. Finally carla vs champion. Rodriguez vs jj finally see mrod not be hesitant of takedowns.
Dern vs Xiaonan, another fun striking vs grappling fight but xiaonan doesn't pack the power of mrod and Dern isn't the takedown threat of carla.

Marina Rodriguez vs. Mackenzie Dern. Good fight, rightfully FOTN. Both fighters got the opportunity to test their skills throughout the five rounds. Though Dern scored a 10-8 second round, following that Rodriguez took control and clearly demonstrated she's the superior fighter. Dern withstood heavy strikes and past the second round couldn't secure any significant control. Back to the drawing board for Mackenzie. She must train further in obtaining and securing takedowns. Sky is the limit for Marina.

Mariya Agapova vs. Sabina Mazo. Anticipated this one because I like Mazo so much. While Sabina showed some nice kickboxing in the first two rounds, still it was all Agapova who was quicker to the punch and appeared oblivious to Mazo's strikes. In round 3 the end seemed near and indeed it was. Agapova threw a great combination culminating in a smashing overhand right that knocked Mazo face first to the mat, then dove in for the RNC. That was all she wrote. It was like seeing a favorite gunslinger get mowed down by automatic machine gun.

Lupita Godinez vs. Sylvia Gomez Juarez. Figured Lupita would win but wasn't expecting such a dominant performance. Threw Juarez around like a sack of potatoes and finished her via vicious belly down arm bar. Very impressive. Wondering who they will match Loopy with next.

Interesting how people in the general area are finally noticing how bad Derns takedowns are. We were on that huge weakness before she even got to the UFC. If you are fighting someone who could be considered a can and you are struggling for almost 2 full rounds to take them down you might need to work on that.

I like all 3 of these matches. Finally carla vs champion. Rodriguez vs jj finally see mrod not be hesitant of takedowns.
Dern vs Xiaonan, another fun striking vs grappling fight but xiaonan doesn't pack the power of mrod and Dern isn't the takedown threat of carla.
Same here. Carla should get the immediate title shot after Rose / Weili. Classy of Rodrigues to say Esparza deserves the shot as well. Dern said before the fight that if she had an impressive victory she was hoping for a shot. That didn't happen. Regardless of how the rematch with Rose & Weili goes, Carla immediately deserves the winner.

ah yes the 'Dandois' as I call it (also beloved of MonsterRat Ruiz)

beautiful Head and Arm throw Joe, she'll go far in WMMA
<Goldie11>

The hairpull setup to the TD and the holding the sub too long were more 'dark arts' though
<JonesLaugh>

(Prime) Lisa Ellis could also "kubinage" into scarf-lock with the best of them.

Sad about Mazo losing. It really exposes the dumbasses in the heavies who think there is no depth in the UFC WMMA divisions. In regional MMA, Mazo was an absolute killer...but in the UFC she looks too skinny/underpowered and no well-rounded enough. Good to see the ladies steal the show (again).

Jarl

It appears the Shevchenko curse has claimed yet another victim.

Calvillo has also tempted fate and got used as a punching bag by Andrade.

Everyone who calls out Valentina gets wrecked. Rose said she'd be willing to fight Val, then got dropped on her head by Andrade. Jessica said she'd move up and fight her, then got knocked out by Weili, and as a bonus she also got finished by Val when she moved up. Weili also expressed her willingness to move up and fight Valentina, then got a few years taken off her life in a war against Joanna and finished by Rose.

It appears the Shevchenko curse has claimed yet another victim.

Calvillo has also tempted fate and got used as a punching bag by Andrade.

Everyone who calls out Valentina gets wrecked. Rose said she'd be willing to fight Val, then got dropped on her head by Andrade. Jessica said she'd move up and fight her, then got knocked out by Weili, and as a bonus she also got finished by Val when she moved up. Weili also expressed her willingness to move up and fight Valentina, then got a few years taken off her life in a war against Joanna and finished by Rose.

She's like Candyman. Call her out and bad things happen.

Back