Official Women's Division Discussion #27

My memories of that fight are super vague for some reason, was there that much groundtime?
Almost the whole fight Ribas basically took Dern down and maintained top control while mixing in some safe gnp.

Looking at those stats maybe I'm remembering it wrong maybe it was only a couple minutes and just stood out as the story of the fight.

Only caught the main event. Outside of the 2nd rd and late in the 4th, Dern didn't have much for Rodriguez. Marina just a superior striker. Kudos to her for surviving on the ground, as Dern looked dominant when she was able to take the fight there.

Still want Esparza to get the title shot at 115 next.

I blame @Xuh got me excited about gomez level of compitition for that pick over a good BC girl godinez I should have picked.

Hey now! I did pick Godinez. I just assumed it'd be a close boxing match. Loopy had never subbed anyone before...

BREAKING WOMEN SWEEP THE BONUSES
FOTN DERN RODRIGUEZ
POTNS LOOPY, AGA

We all predicted this though #knowledge :cool:
I wasn't surprised it was a fun card and all the wimminz bouts delivered, thumb in the eye for the h8rz and I think next week's UFC WMMA also look like they'll deliver, I'll make sure to post picks earlier so @Jackonfire can copy them then give me dubz when they all lose.

Godinez / GómezJuárez: Godinez looked great, I thought she might hit some TDs and rack up top time to secure a win but I didn't expect an effective submission attack, future is bright for her, maybe G-J could have done more with a full camp for this opponent but I think she can have some good bouts in the UFC and her, er, assets are nice too.

Mazedough :( I said it was 'class bad girl vs class quiet weird horse girl matchup we'd all dreamed of' and I guess I have a inner liking for quiet weird horse girls because that makes a sad for me.
Agapova certainly restored her rep with the fanz and casuals though, but as someone mentioned, if she goes on to get the belt that'd mean we'd have to say Shana Dobson is the lineal champ and do we really want that?

I was happy for Rodriguez winning (even though I bet on Dern and fight ITD - I had a feeling Rodriguez DEC would be the 'elite pick' but didn't have the balls to make it myself). M-Rod has clearly made herself very tough to finish on the mat, I noted that after the Carla fight, I felt Carla and Ribas should have done more with Marina on the ground but also felt growing hespetch for her ability to nullify ground offense and that certainly served her well tonight. It's also good because we may get Marina vs Joanna Instagram fight and Carla title fights that *everybody* wants to see ;) - also this fight does remind you, just how good is Carla Esparza? (she's the '1' in Marina's 15-1, in case you wondered) ;)

Four wmma bonuses tonight:

FOTN - Dern battles through adversity to land that late submission.
Mazo picks up a performance bonus for the headkick ko we've been waiting four years to see repeated; not sure how Loopy wins but give her a bonus as well, why not?

Damn, that was a great prediction. The fight predictions were a little off but the 4 WMMA bonuses was spot on.

I missed the Godinez / Gomez fight (stoopit time zones, by which I mean stoopit me). I'll probably watch it soon.
Agapova seemed to me to simply be way faster than Mazo, especially when she jumped on that sub.
Odd note for the night: for all of Dern's dominance on the mat, I believe the only actual sub attempt was by Rodriguez.

Godinez looks promising, a wrestler who actually understands timing and how to yank out the hips to complete a takedown on the fence is a rarity on the women's side. Fight was pretty one sided, but we'll see how she matches up against future opponents.

Not entirely sure what Mazo was doing. She was using more of a boxing stance and losing the boxing badly with her slow hand speed and non-existent punching power. I can understand doing that against Alexis who's actually a takedown threat, but Agapova isn't. Mazo got lit up early and from there she was out of her game, she couldn't get her combos flowing and became hesitant with her strikes, I can't count the number of times she went for a kick and then pulled it. Agapova took her apart with her speed & power advantage, and it was all over.

Dern is a magician on the ground, but boy does she suck everywhere else. Marina was winging wide punches at her and missing badly yet Dern still struggled to get her to the ground. I thought she'd finally made some progress in her fight against Nina, but it appears she's forgotten everything she's learned in the past year and regressed to her earlier form.

Marina did well but she also needs a lot of work before taking on the top fighters at 115. She did well at times with her pivots & lateral movement to get herself out of trouble, but then she'd just totally brain fart and get bum rushed into the fence the other half of the time. At times, you could see her going "oh crap!" as she got backed towards the fence and have to run for her life to escape and reset. That's going to get her killed against someone like Andrade or Weili. Her punches also get wide & loopy when she throws in longer combinations, and there were too many times when she ended up off-balance and out of position, the top fighters in her division will make her pay badly for that. Marina's footwork needs to be cleaner & more consistent, and she needs more awareness with her positioning & balance along with cleaning up her punches a bit before she takes on the contenders at 115.

I am going to ask this here instead of the main section for obvious reasons.

Hordes of people bashed Ronda as a "one-trick pony" despite her winning more fights via striking stoppage (yeah, luck, her striking was shit) and being far superior at takedowns and finishing on the ground that Dern. But few seem to take this same sort of approach to Dern who is truly one-dimensional. I saw a couple of people finally make this observation in the PBP thread, but only one or two.

Why the difference?
Short answer: Boobs

Long answer: Finishing due to armbar every time. Granted, anyone who knows what they're watching knows Ronda never got the armbar the same way twice. Ronda could actually get her opponents to the ground, too, unlike Dern, who relies on her opponents being dumb enough to follow her there.

Ronda's sh!t attitude hurt her more than anything, though. Dern was starting to smell herself, too, before tonight.

Ignore listing is for pussies and against the soul of the internet, but shit like this is making it harder for me not to succumb to temptation...
<BlackPinkStab>

Just for you Xuh, just for you...

giphy.gif

Why the difference?

I think some of it is that we generally still think of Dern as a work in progress. She already had a harsh learning experience getting outclassed by Ribas, improved some things (her weight anyway), and went seeking out better coaching. Seemed like a given though that Rose/Joanna ceiling was going to be too much for her unless she improved drastically and/or changed approaches (I personally thought Nina might dust her at the time they fought).

Ronda was about the same amount of time into a pro career and should have gotten the same benefit of being looked at as still learning... but she was already the best ever, the first cover woman on Ring Magazine, could beat half of men's bantamweight, and Cain Velasquez under the right circumstances.

Back