Official Women's Division Discussion #27

With where Dern is at right now, give her 6 months with a high school wrestling coach and you'll see significant improvements in her takedowns. She's literally such a newbie that she doesn't even know the 1st day fundamentals like how to grip your hands or the proper starting stance for shooting a takedown.

Interesting. It doesn't appear she's even yet had that focused training.

I used to entertain all the usual boxing prejudices against cagefighting - tattooed oafs rolling about in a cage - so I'm the last person to pass an opinion. I've always thought that if Dern took the sport seriously then the sky was the limit for her. Would just like to see them scrap further down the line.

For guys like me who don't really know what they're watching this was interesting stuff. I did notice how Mackenzie lifted her foot into position, also they make the point that Randa's resistance was impressive.

Just watched the whole video. The brothers thought that once Dern started her first submission attempt that it would be over in a few seconds. The various moves that ensued blew their minds and then they proceed to go through the next 45 or so seconds of the fight. Interesting they conclude with utmost respect to Markos for her understanding of jiu jitsu defense. Hope she sees that because it's so genuine.

Markos probably will see it because she trains under (? not sure the correct terminology here) blue shirt guy or his gym or system of what is described. Agree it's interesting stuff as I'm sure you know far more that me about what we're watching. Cool that you noticed how Mackenzie lifted her foot into position and also noticed that Randa's resistance was impressive. When I mentioned earlier about both boxing and mma being 'sweet science' that what I was trying to say. None more or less sweet than the other. Fascinating stat that a mere 8.7% watching have taken even a rolling class. I tried once and it was what they described as a stupid place. Someone threw my head to the ground, I went outside and puked and they made sure I wasn't dead. Went home, never to enter a jiu jitsu place again.

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to watch some more of those guys' breakdowns the morning after (!!) a fight. I know they are both famous in the field, so no disrespect to them that I can't remember their names. Their intelligence and love for jiu jitsu made it a pleasurable video!

Just watched the whole video. The brothers thought that once Dern started her first submission attempt that it would be over in a few seconds. The various moves that ensued blew their minds and then they proceed to go through the next 45 or so seconds of the fight. Interesting they conclude with utmost respect to Markos for her understanding of jiu jitsu defense. Hope she sees that because it's so genuine.

Markos probably will see it because she trains under (? not sure the correct terminology here) blue shirt guy or his gym or system of what is described. Agree it's interesting stuff as I'm sure you know far more that me about what we're watching. Cool that you noticed how Mackenzie lifted her foot into position and also noticed that Randa's resistance was impressive. When I mentioned earlier about both boxing and mma being 'sweet science' that what I was trying to say. None more or less sweet than the other. Fascinating stat that a mere 8.7 watching have taken even one class. I sure haven't, unless one counts the time I went to a buddy's gym and someone threw my head to the ground, I went outside and puked and went home, never to enter a jiu jitsu place again.

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to watch some more of those guys' breakdowns the morning after (!!) a fight. I know they are both famous in the field, so no disrespect to them that I can't remember their names. Their intelligence and love for jiu jitsu made it a pleasurable video!

That's very much not a normal BJJ experience, I've never found BJJ anything but the friendliest bunch of people. If that's put you off and you still have any desire to try, you should give it another shot.

That's very much not a normal BJJ experience, I've never found BJJ anything but the friendliest bunch of people. If that's put you off and you still have any desire to try, you should give it another shot.

Thanks. I'd start slow and only roll. Moot now since I injured my knee & foot. Grateful I can still walk, throw a ball around & occasionally play soccer (my passion) with friends.

Last edited:
I’m certainly not a grappling expert, as my zero classes in martial arts have failed to teach me any more than I’ve learned from watching MMA, so I really don’t have an educated opinion on a pure grappling match between Dern and Rousey. If forced to place a bet, I guess I would put my money on Rousey due to her size/strength advantage. Even in pure grappling, I have to believe there’s also an advantage in being the one who controls when and how things go to the mat. This would definitely be an exhibition I’d like to see.
If Rousey wouldn’t be interested in such a match, what about Kayla Harrison? Dern would be at an even greater strength disadvantage, against an Olympic gold medalist, as opposed to bronze, but does Harrison’s judo lend itself to submissions as well as Rousey’s?

It's funny I knew of Kayla Harrison from watching clips from when she appeared on the show Practical Jokers. Hilarious episode!

I appreciate her sentiment, but I’d rather see Sorenson come in as a 135er. She can make that weight so it shouldn’t be an issue for her.

“Pioneering.” The word pioneer gets thrown around way too much in this sport. Pam debuted in 2015, for God’s sake:rolleyes:
"For me, Victoria is arguably the single greatest pound-for-pound female prospect in the world today.⁣"

{<jordan}
Chatri can’t help himself when it comes to hyperbole. Always goes over the top. If this were Bellator, the press would be lauding her as a “blue chip” prospect.

“Pioneering.” The word pioneer gets thrown around way too much in this sport. Pam debuted in 2015, for God’s sake:rolleyes:

Chatri can’t help himself when it comes to hyperbole. Always goes over the top. If this were Bellator, the press would be lauding her as a “blue chip” prospect.

I completely agree. 145 is actually one of the older women’s divisions when it comes to TV exposure. Pam is a good enough fighter... but it is pretty funny to call her a pioneer when Roxanne Moddaferri, & Kaitlin Young are still fighting pretty consistently.

the Borella vs Silva fight looked a bit weird, especially the finish. Borella just sat there in her guard waiting for something to happen, and almost tapped before Silva even got the armbar. i'm no expert at this, did it make sense to you guys? i don't want to say the fight was fixed and look like an idiot :D

the Borella vs Silva fight looked a bit weird, especially the finish. Borella just sat there in her guard waiting for something to happen, and almost tapped before Silva even got the armbar. i'm no expert at this, did it make sense to you guys? i don't want to say the fight was fixed and look like an idiot :D

You are not the idiot. She was.

:)

Like she did on her last fight...

Really...

In her prior fight she got armbarred in the same way except it was on tight and she was squealing in pain. When the same thing happened in this fight she probably got flashbacks and just tapped early. She knows she is likely cut from the UFC now, and afterward (and even just before the sub IMO) she had a look on her face like 'I don't want to do this anymore', peeling her gloves off, I wouldn't be surprised if she calls time on fighting MMA now...

I got some good news add Lina Lansberg to the expecting club since she is pregnant with
her first child which will be arriving about March with her possibly being slated to return to
the cage next September or October.
I don't know I'd call it good news someone's not fighting for a long period of time while ranked. But hope she has a good pregnancy and baby. I just assumed she was having visa issue when she hadn't been booked for awhile.

In her prior fight she got armbarred in the same way except it was on tight and she was squealing in pain. When the same thing happened in this fight she probably got flashbacks and just tapped early. She knows she is likely cut from the UFC now, and afterward (and even just before the sub IMO) she had a look on her face like 'I don't want to do this anymore', peeling her gloves off, I wouldn't be surprised if she calls time on fighting MMA now...
back to selling drugs I guess.

That's a good pickup for bellator and an interesting matchup.

She has to be fighting Pam next right? I doubt the UFC signs Pam anytime soon and Pam needs a fight.

I think they'll probably pit her against Young first. She's got what... One fight at Featherweight? Regardless, I hope she doesn't drop down to Bantamweight again. Featherweight needs all the young fighters it can get.

I think they'll probably pit her against Young first. She's got what... One fight at Featherweight? Regardless, I hope she doesn't drop down to Bantamweight again. Featherweight needs all the young fighters it can get.

BW needs fighters as well and it is actually a division worth calling one.

Yeah, I can't find the gif, but if you rewatch that sequence, you'll see Silva is grabbing Borella by the hair and she literally can't move her head. It looked weird watching it live and then I noticed in the replay, she was pulling her hair, lol.

Back