Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a random question for people here. If you can remember, what got you into MMA and WMMA?
Long time boxing fan who'd fallen out of love with the sport by the 2000s but still had the usual boxing prejudices against cage fighting and wouldn't have given the UFC a second glance.

Came across YouTube fights with the likes of Carano ten years ago or so and this finally introduced me to the virtues of takedowns, submissions, kicks and such like ...... heck I even watch guy fights now, well some.

Now we see why Reebok Dropped PVZ. They chose to use that money to pick up Thug Rose and Maycee instead.

Thought UFC might have kept Pannie, but seems not.

Lol, UFC mad at a whole division for fucking up Ronda Rousey. If bantamweight was a person they'd be booked against the scariest Brazilian.

Thought UFC might have kept Pannie, but seems not.

Lol, UFC mad at a whole division for fucking up Ronda Rousey. If bantamweight was a person they'd be booked against the scariest Brazilian.

If they did not keep Pannie then she might be the 1st runner up not kept. What I don't understand is how she would not definitively know for certain if she was cut or not. Everyone else on the show seems to know for certain that they were cut.

Suarez/Calvillo: I think Suarez was outplayed here imo, she was talking like people not accepting fights with her, then Cynthia called her out, and even Dana White mentioned it...

I am starting to think the only 145er they are ever going to sign not named Cyborg is Megan. Everyone people told me was a true 145ers has gone down to 135. I wonder if the TUF winner and Leah will actually be able to make 135.
Just because someone can starve themselves to cut more weight doesn't make it their ideal weightclass. Mma fans are so crazy, in men's classes everyone complains as fighter xyz missing weight often should be up a class. I'd say 90% of ufc BW would be better fighters at 145 wit added muscle. Anthony Pettis has made 145 but was feeling terrible, tj had the worst fight of his career at 125. Win or lose RDA still looks better at ww then LW.

Just because someone can starve themselves to cut more weight doesn't make it their ideal weightclass. Mma fans are so crazy, in men's classes everyone complains as fighter xyz missing weight often should be up a class.

Possible, but it's not like women's 135 fighters are missing weight en masse like their 115 and 125 counterparts. The only UFC fighter I can remember missing 135 is Pennington and that was partly thanks to Nunes giving her a case of hypothyroidism. And let's just say many of the 135ers have a bit of a bounce to them so it's not like they can't lose a bit of fat while gaining muscle.

To paraphrase @Eater of Souls, the state of women's boxing is pretty sad.
I found this on youtube and it's kinda painful to watch.

Yeah. This is why when someone points out the number of titles Holm has "won" as an indication of her skill I know two things:
1. They are a moron.
2. They know shit about boxing.

Most of the better strikers in WMMA come from MT, and there I mean real MT, which excludes many gyms in the USA. And this means that they often fight MT style and never learn to twist and put their legs into a punch and often keep their chin up (see JYF vs. SHH - it was only a question of who landed first, but Ham does protect her chin a bit better). Even Valentina, who is the most technically precise striker in the women's side of the UFC throws limited punching combinations and rarely throws to the body. JJ throws to the body more but does not control distance as well.

In an amusing note during the Shevcheno - Holm fight (great example of skill vs. size, strength and athleticism) Goldberg said at least once that Shevchenko was "as pure a Muay Thai stylist as you can find" when she is anything but. Her style is a bit more Dutch Kickboxing and her kicks show her early TKD influence. This serves her well as her game is built around speed, but is one of the reasons why her round kick lands with a bit less power.

Sorry for rambling.

Ok, watched portions of the "fight." I wish I had not.

Most of the better strikers in WMMA come from MT, and there I mean real MT, which excludes many gyms in the USA. And this means that they often fight MT style and never learn to twist and put their legs into a punch and often keep their chin up (see JYF vs. SHH - it was only a question of who landed first, but Ham does protect her chin a bit better). Even Valentina, who is the most technically precise striker in the women's side of the UFC throws limited punching combinations and rarely throws to the body. JJ throws to the body more but does not control distance as well.

In an amusing note during the Shevcheno - Holm fight (great example of skill vs. size, strength and athleticism) Goldberg said at least once that Shevchenko was "as pure a Muay Thai stylist as you can find" when she is anything but. Her style is a bit more Dutch Kickboxing and her kicks show her early TKD influence. This serves her well as her game is built around speed, but is one of the reasons why her round kick lands with a bit less power.

Given Valentina's background, the way she fights does make sense. Real MT is generally limited in terms of combination punching and they don't really punch the body since knees & kicks are the preferred weapons for that target. Joanna comes from the Dutch school where there's a lot more emphasis on combination striking and the body punch to low kick combo is one of the signature combos of that style. Neither of them is a pure MT or Dutch kickboxing fighter, but I think it's neat that they both combine elements of MT and Dutch style in their own unique ways and in Valentina's case, adding some TKD as well.

As for punching mechanics, yeah, the women's side needs work, as does MMA in general. For me, the gold standard for punching technique in WMMA is Germaine de Randamie, her punches are just beautiful. Amanda's punches are already bad enough, but if she had GDR's technique she might legitimately kill some poor chick in the cage.

They did. Bantamweight won. Now bantamweight’s the scariest brazilian. :)

Absolutely crazy that Kianzad not sure if she's in the UFC or not!

I would have thought it was a no-brainer to keep her, it's not as if they're stacked with bantamweights anyway and she has a lot more marketability than most.

I have a random question for people here. If you can remember, what got you into MMA and WMMA?

This might sound cliché but my 1st introduction into MMA was the Forrest vs Bonnar fight. I had never known MMA existed before that fight.

TUF n00b

<{cruzshake}>

This might also sound cliché but Ronda is what got me into WMMA.

Ronda n00b

<{nope}>

2 strikes....

<StillMyBoy>

;)

OK seriously: I was a teenager and teenagers are interested in fighting and thinking they're badass and stuff. It was the early days of the internet and I remember looking up ppl like Tank Abbott online in school with similarly minded friends. I liked pro wrestling (though I never had cable/satellite so never really got to watch it) and was fascinated by submissions in it. I had a friend who knew a bunch from judo/Japanese JJ and we'd practice them and I thought it really cool to do those moves 'for real'. Once I got the internet at home a few years later I'd buy some MMA videos and DVDs and stuff. I got the Hook 'n' Shoot revolution DVD amongst other as the idea of an all women card was interesting at the time (looking back at that event now: boy, you wanna talk about sloppy fights lol).

WMMA specifically: After PRIDE died (... PRIDE never die?) I didn't really follow MMA much for a while. I was loitering around the forum around the time of Invicta 1 and they reeled me in with the great job they did of promoting their fighters, interesting personalities and of course the free cards which I stayed up to watch and found to be great fun. Someone else said the early Invicta events were 'reminded them of PRIDE' which kinda somehow feels right to me even though it doesn't really make sense (no soccer kicks and less roids... well, until a Brazilian shows up, yea I said it again :p ).

I've followed most of the fighters involved since then, like others said above it's easier to follow the ppl involved on the women's side of things than men's and that makes it more interesting (when you're more familiar with a fighter). I suppose I am also 'sexist' in a somewhat social darwinian way in that I find it easier to be interested in women that men, except the very best elite men who I can appreciate for actually having skillz, with much of the rest of them being (mostly) just cannon fodder with bad tattoos to be fed into the grinder as far as holding my interest goes. The women tend to be more personally interesting anyway besides in that because it's also an unusual pursuit for a woman so the person making that choice is likely to be more interesting/unusual in general.

Triple post time! Might as well make it a shitpost then (but it amused me so...)

Saw the following exchange on VK (Russian facebook) regarding Whitmire vs Albu:

'Why did she turn her back there?'
'Because she saw a camera and naturally turned her butt to face it'

s0219.gif

Now we see why Reebok Dropped PVZ. They chose to use that money to pick up Thug Rose and Maycee instead.

interesting that theyve moved from "hot blonde who will sell shit" to "talented fight who will sell shit"

And Rose now not only stole PVZ's hair cut but also her sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.